Midlands League

Marten

Took in East Craigie v Broughty Ath yesterday which finished 0-1. Goal came midway through the first half from Fraser with McNaughton of EC having a penalty saved in first half injury time.

Not alot of other clear cut goalscoring chances in the match. Broughty on the whole looked the better team and more organised, ultimately deserving of the 3 points. Mudie is a great capture for Broughty at the back on loan from Brechin and in my opinion the best CB in the league

Have seen each of the Top 4/5 sides on a few occasions so far this season and envisage the current Top 2 battling it out for the title right to the end. 

Screenshot_20230910-092256.png

Given that Montrose Roselea finished solidly in the bottom half of the North Region Premiership last season, and are now solidly in the top half of the Midland League, could this be an indication that there's no obvious gulf in quality between the leagues?

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Given that Montrose Roselea finished solidly in the bottom half of the North Region Premiership last season, and are now solidly in the top half of the Midland League, could this be an indication that there's no obvious gulf in quality between the leagues?

Far from the conclusion to draw.  As was predicted last season, when the move was mooted, Roselea's move to the Midland League has enabled the club to attract better players from the local area and also to receive loanees from Montrose FC.  They are playing a far more attractive style of football this season because of the better players. I would seriously doubt if anyone at Roselea would want to return to the North juniors.

2 hours ago, MO7S said:

I would seriously doubt if anyone at Roselea would want to return to the North juniors.

I wasn't suggesting that, just that the current fear in the North of a Great Replacement of Highland League sides by Midland League sides over the next few years might be overblown. 

Took in the Lochee derby on Saturday and it was a closer game than I envisioned it would have been, Harp gave United a good run for their money and really should've had at least one goal, particularly early in the 2nd half when they were peppering United's net.

Better team won in the end though, some clearly good talent at the Chee (and that's ignoring Bobby Linn), though it looked an off day for Jaden Ferguson. Very emotional lad, screaming every time United gave the ball away, funniest moment being when he was dispossessed in midfield and just stood watching in a huff while the ball was still being contested right in front of him.

New Beechwood Park didn't exactly enamour me tbh, but the game was competitive enough and got a wee bit feisty at the end and that's all I wanted, so I left happy.

No description available.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I wasn't suggesting that, just that the current fear in the North of a Great Replacement of Highland League sides by Midland League sides over the next few years might be overblown. 

Suddenly have visions of an irate mob of Highland League fans marching along the shores of the Moray Firth with burning tiki torches yelling "Jutes will not replace us". Donald Trump let the genie out of the bottle in a big way on that sort of stuff after all. Think what you maybe need to ponder is whether a Highland League aligned more on a Dundee to Fraserburgh axis in future rather than the more traditional Fraserbugh to Inverness to Wick one might start to look attractive as something to aim for where Roselea are concerned. Licensing should be a skoosh (albeit still very time consuming before the Rutherglen Glencairn guy chimes in) if Links Park is available.

11 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Took in the Lochee derby on Saturday and it was a closer game than I envisioned it would have been, Harp gave United a good run for their money and really should've had at least one goal, particularly early in the 2nd half when they were peppering United's net.

Better team won in the end though, some clearly good talent at the Chee (and that's ignoring Bobby Linn), though it looked an off day for Jaden Ferguson. Very emotional lad, screaming every time United gave the ball away, funniest moment being when he was dispossessed in midfield and just stood watching in a huff while the ball was still being contested right in front of him.

Yeah, he is normally a great finisher but from what I've heard (I couldn't make the game myself), he just had a bad day and got frustrated. He is still quite young so these things happen.

Saturday was one of those games we'd have dropped points last season. We missed a few players due to injuries & holidays, but with us having a bigger squad now, we had enough cover. Some of the younger lads got a start as a result which can only be good for them!

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's a fear that is justified.  Since Brechin dropped into the SHL I've been to about 12 games at Glebe Park.  The standard of many SHL teams is somewhat poor compared to the top Midlands Junior teams.  If promotion/relegation was purely on football ability as a team then the fears you talk about are very realistic.  Licensing, finance and desire of where Midlands teams want to be is what will delay this replacement of teams in the current SHL.  The future for the current SHL may well be to split in two.  A West section (including North Caledonian League) and an East section may well come about someday.

3 hours ago, MO7S said:

It's a fear that is justified.  Since Brechin dropped into the SHL I've been to about 12 games at Glebe Park.  The standard of many SHL teams is somewhat poor compared to the top Midlands Junior teams.  If promotion/relegation was purely on football ability as a team then the fears you talk about are very realistic.  Licensing, finance and desire of where Midlands teams want to be is what will delay this replacement of teams in the current SHL.  The future for the current SHL may well be to split in two.  A West section (including North Caledonian League) and an East section may well come about someday.

There's more of a case for the Lowland League splitting into East and West imo, as should have happened originally if the Juniors had been more grown up about it and hadn't allowed the franchise pretendy clubs to take over. The Highland League on the other hand has been welcoming in clubs from every part of the North since 1893 and expanding towards the Tay won't change that, with a sensible geographical split of feeder leagues below.

Edited by welshbairn

• 2 weeks later...