Midlands League

Marten

Wasn’t sure where to post this but this will do as both clubs are still going strong. This was included in a report of a Dundee United game played on 6 November 1948 from https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=2477 It’s supposedly from the Sunday Post but think more likely the Sporting Post. What caught my eye was 3,000 at a Carnoustie Panmure v Lochee Harp game. Even though crowds were bigger post WW2 it was still a surprise.

IMG_1811.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

I took in Broughty 7-0 Harp with the home side every bit worth their large victory. 

Watching it with the gulf between the sides so large raised the old topic of league restructuring in my head again - how can the association get a structure which gives more meaningful and competitive matches, as with the current structure teams like Lochee Harp have, to be frank, nothing to play for all season.

With the current 20 sides, next season I would create 2 x 10 team leagues (based on finishing positions this season). As this would only give each side 18 league games, relegation/promotion playoff mini leagues (similar to in Belgium) can be played after regular season games to ensure most games are competitive and something at stake. 2 or 3 teams up/down at the end of it.

A new League Cup made up of 4 x 5 team groups can be created with top 2 from each going through to a last 8 knockout.

Sadly I'm not anticipating any drastic changes like this for next season, but it would certainly give the current bottom 12/14 teams plenty to play for - something they simply don't have in status quo.

22 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The problem they have is what happens to a two division format if Lochee United get promoted or one of the smaller clubs drops out. 

I understand the ifs and bits of something like that happening, but believe it would lead to a more competitive association. If not my proposal then something else? Current set up has led to teams like Harp, Violet, Blairgowrie etc having nothing to play for for most of the season - and it shows 

This is always going to be a problem when you have larger leagues.  I see it in the Highland League as well.  The difference between the teams at the top and the ones in the bottom three or four is huge.

The upside of that is you only play each other twice and that gives games a bit more of a freshness and the games between the top sides have an added significance.

I guess the problem for the Midlands League is they have 20 at the moment but that number is more likely to go down rather than up and 8 or 9 team divisions would likely be too few.  Not sure what the answer is here.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think they should aim to bring up some more clubs and become more like the North Juniors with a top league of 16 and a lower tier of 14.

No idea if this is feasible though..

Some of the guys who post on here will know better than me but I don’t think there are enough, if any, amateur clubs in the area with the will or the set up to make that step up.

7 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

This is always going to be a problem when you have larger leagues.  I see it in the Highland League as well.  The difference between the teams at the top and the ones in the bottom three or four is huge.

The upside of that is you only play each other twice and that gives games a bit more of a freshness and the games between the top sides have an added significance.

I guess the problem for the Midlands League is they have 20 at the moment but that number is more likely to go down rather than up and 8 or 9 team divisions would likely be too few.  Not sure what the answer is here.

I don't think the issue is strictly large leagues but also large leagues with a low rate of movement in and out. Even in the smaller leagues across the country every season there's usually a team or two who get cut off from the rest enduring scuddings & the like.

Edited by GNU_Linux

In terms of competitiveness a good scenario would be a 14 team league with the best of the North Superleague and Midlands. More travel but not too extreme and keep fixtures a manageable number.

Bigger midlands teams travelled to Lothians before pyramid shakeup so Aberdeen is doable and is big more a middle ground if anyone had highland league ambitions. Though not sure if North Super league clubs would be as keen. I suppose a merged league at tier 6 would mean 1 less Scottish cup spot for unlicensed champions and for licenced clubs like Lochee and Tayport potentially more likely an unlicenced champion to finish above them and they don't get play off opportunity if they want it. 

If you search back there has been chat on here about ammies who have a set up that could potentially allow a step up - although in reality I suspect all who can have done.

In Dundee you could potentially get a tenant at Gussie with the new stand going up there and the women playing on Sundays. Monifieth and Wellbank have facilities which would be fine for a second tier side.

Breadalbane would be fine. The issue would be if they want to add the travel.

Kettins and Burrelton at a push but at least the travel wouldn't be too bad being on the Forfar road. 

On 19/11/2023 at 23:26, grazza said:

In terms of competitiveness a good scenario would be a 14 team league with the best of the North Superleague and Midlands. More travel but not too extreme and keep fixtures a manageable number.

Bigger midlands teams travelled to Lothians before pyramid shakeup so Aberdeen is doable and is big more a middle ground if anyone had highland league ambitions. Though not sure if North Super league clubs would be as keen. I suppose a merged league at tier 6 would mean 1 less Scottish cup spot for unlicensed champions and for licenced clubs like Lochee and Tayport potentially more likely an unlicenced champion to finish above them and they don't get play off opportunity if they want it. 

I used to be against it because I thought it would marginalise the North Caley, but they're thriving on their own now with a very competitive league, so I don't see it a major issue. The Aberdeen bypass certainly makes it easier logistically. 

I believe the North Region clubs aren't keen on the idea of a joint superleague. As that's not happen, Midlands League clubs want to stay at 1 division for now. More clubs joining would make a split more likely.

3 hours ago, Marten said:

I believe the North Region clubs aren't keen on the idea of a joint superleague. As that's not happen, Midlands League clubs want to stay at 1 division for now. More clubs joining would make a split more likely.

From our time in the North that would be correct. Very little appetire for travel to Dundee which is what I would have wanted for the original Superleages in 2002/3 and can still see how it work but can also see why the in rapidly changing face of the Pyramid it could be here today and gone tomorrow? As far as other teams joining the Midlands 3/4 of the North Fife teams must  be interested? St Andrews unless they have massive East Pyramid aims must surely be tempted by 15 mile trips over the Tay and derby with Tayport rather than 120 mile trips to the Borders? a couple of Amateur step ups would see 24/26 teams and two Midland Leagues until a few move to the Highland League!

We aren't talking about factory teams. St Andrews have players from all over Fife down to Edinburgh. Gretna is no more of a pain than Montrose.

They are also in the promotion places to the East Premier. I wouldn't have thought playing Harp and St James would be in the least bit tempting.