The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, GAD said:

See to be fair, he does have a point. I mean, I don't know if Gunn actually earns £40k per week, but surely a guy playing at the top end of the championship is worth a look over a guy playing for Motherwell, who didn't make the grade at QPR, or a guy whose been warming the bench for Hearts? 

But he’s been asked by Scotland and has turned us down.
I say f**k him.

Get someone who wants to play for the national team.

32 minutes ago, Molotov said:

But he’s been asked by Scotland and has turned us down.
I say f**k him.

Get someone who wants to play for the national team.

It's not really worth discussing - for players who've turned us down, it's maybe worth checking in with them at the start of a new campaign to see if they've changed their mind, but it's really depressing to imagine the Scotland manager begging an uninterested player to give us a go every time an international window comes around. In that situation, what kind of half-arsed performances and availability would people expect from them anyway?

Unless Gunn's given a "categorically under no circumstances will I ever pull on a jersey for a shite nation like Scotland" answer, I'm sure Steve Clarke will check in with him, likely get knocked back again, and move on from there.

From whats reported Che Adams had turned us down previously and was asked again. Dykes and McTominay had to be convinced to play for us.

Do the posters who are so against asking gunn want these players cast out of the international fold also? If not why not, what is the difference?

50 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

From whats reported Che Adams had turned us down previously and was asked again. Dykes and McTominay had to be convinced to play for us.

Do the posters who are so against asking gunn want these players cast out of the international fold also? If not why not, what is the difference?

Pretty sure Adams only finally agreed to play because we qualified for the Euros, taking a spot from "someone who wants to play for us!!!" for the biggest stage we'd been on since the 90s.

Just now, GAD said:

Pretty sure Adams only finally agreed to play because we qualified for the Euros, taking a spot from "someone who wants to play for us!!!" for the biggest stage we'd been on since the 90s.

For me I just want us to have a good a team as possible. If we ask the likes of Gunn, or Harvey Barnes or Conor Gallagher or Anthony Gordon or Liveramento 100 times and they eventually say yes, then its good for us. Regardless of their reasons for changing their minds. Its not begging, just enquiring. As long as these players like Adams give their all when they do play for us. If they don't then they simply wouldn't be selected, like im guessing was the case with Tom Cairney.

If we miss out on the world cup due to poor goalkeeping then not asking Gunn again would be looked at as a mistake that potentially cost us. If he says no, whats the big deal. Do we crumble and die.

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Dykes turned Australia down, did he not? From what I understand, he only considered Oz because he didn't know if he'd get a game for us.

McTominay's been quoted as saying he always wanted to play for Scotland too.

Just now, BFTD said:

Dykes turned Australia down, did he not? From what I understand, he only considered Oz because he didn't know if he'd get a game for us.

McTominay's been quoted as saying he always wanted to play for Scotland too.

From what I remember the story with McTominay was Mcleish convinced him to play for us. Were only told a certain version of events so were never going to know how hard or easy that was. At the end of the day its irrelevant (for me anyway).

He turns up and does his best  just like Adams does and dykes. And Gunn may do as well.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

It's got to be Marshall in the short term. See how Gordon recovers in the medium term. Hope like f**k someone new comes on the scene in the next 2-3 years.

We don't really even have someone adequate for international level. The remaining options very much would be the 'weak link' of the team.

In terms of young up and coming keepers I think were looking at

Cieran Slicker - man City

June Smith - Newcastle

Vincent Angellini - Watford

Harry Stone - Hearts

All around 19/20. If anyone has any other prospects stick them up.

But really if were not persuading Gunn to come on board. Were looking at getting by with Marshall for as long as possible and hoping one of these guys pushes on and becomes a no1 at a decent level 🤷‍♂️ Or getting by with one of the other uninspiring options.

Not a great situation, but thats what it is.

34 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

In terms of young up and coming keepers I think were looking at

Cieran Slicker - man City

June Smith - Newcastle

Vincent Angellini - Watford

Harry Stone - Hearts

All around 19/20. If anyone has any other prospects stick them up.

But really if were not persuading Gunn to come on board. Were looking at getting by with Marshall for as long as possible and hoping one of these guys pushes on and becomes a no1 at a decent level 🤷‍♂️ Or getting by with one of the other uninspiring options.

Not a great situation, but thats what it is.

You've just made those names up

Kelly's a weird one. He doesn't make many howlers but does fairly often let in shots that he should  probably be saving but you can't really blame him for conceding. He balances this out with enough games where he's completely impervious, which is probably a fair trade off for Motherwell but not what you want in at international level. 

Basically, I don't think he'd be blatantly out of his depth but there'd be a clear drop off from Gordon.

On 24/12/2022 at 20:14, HalfCutNinja said:

Probably but I wouldn't mind us just rubbering him like he rubbered us.

As it happens I watched his dad's solitary cap and saw him knock out Hossam Hassan I think his name is from very close range.

Bryan Gunn earned a total of six caps.

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Kelly's a weird one. He doesn't make many howlers but does fairly often let in shots that he should  probably be saving but you can't really blame him for conceding. He balances this out with enough games where he's completely impervious, which is probably a fair trade off for Motherwell but not what you want in at international level. 

Basically, I don't think he'd be blatantly out of his depth but there'd be a clear drop off from Gordon.

Even if there was a drop off from Gordon,  that was coming anyway with his age

If Kelly is as good as we've got that's it