The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even if Craig Gordon isn't going to be our starting goalkeeper at Euro-2024 I think it's worthwhile to bring him along given his experience. 

If it came down to a choice between using his experience to aid the current group against future proofing I'm leaning to towards the former.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

If we can get Jason Steele, even at 33, would be a solid addition and a huge upgrade on the backups we have. 

Not interested apparently 

On 21/01/2024 at 08:56, KingRocketman II said:

A wee run in the Hearts team, a call-up for a friendly between now and June, boom - Gordon is on the plane and suddenly our goalkeeping options/back-up to Gunn for the Euros significantly brighter......

I'm a little more concerned that Hearts have let Michael McGovern leave for Livi this week. With Harry Stone still on loan with us I think that leaves them only with Clark and Gordon as senior keepers. Unless they bring someone in, that suggests they intend to run with Clark and Gordon for the rest of the season rather than lending one out and therefore means, barring some bizarre alternating scheme, that one of them isn't going to play much between now and the Euros. I think Gordon needs to play pretty much the rest of the season to be back in Scotland contention. I'm not sure we can take him if his action is limited to Scottish Cup games and maybe the odd 90 towards seasons end if Hearts are secure in 3rd or something. But if Gordon does play the rest of the season where does it leave Clark who has presumably established himself as Clarke's chosen 3rd keeper ahead of Kelly now? Can he go to the Euros with next to no football in 6 months?

Big week ahead. And if neither leaves the club, big few months ahead for both players and some difficult calls for both Naismith and Clarke.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, immcinto said:

Is Callan McKenna our future number 1? 

Hopefully, but it's Impossible to know how he will develop. It might partly be a business decision from Bournemouth - I don't know the contractual circumstances or Bournemouth's business model.

He has played for Scotland at u-17 and u-18 level and has been signed by an English Premier League team so those are positive general signs, but until he is breaks through somewhere and finds where his level is then probably best to just forget about him as at the moment it is somewhere between Queens Park and Real Madrid.   

On 23/01/2024 at 09:17, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm a little more concerned that Hearts have let Michael McGovern leave for Livi this week. With Harry Stone still on loan with us I think that leaves them only with Clark and Gordon as senior keepers. Unless they bring someone in, that suggests they intend to run with Clark and Gordon for the rest of the season rather than lending one out and therefore means, barring some bizarre alternating scheme, that one of them isn't going to play much between now and the Euros. I think Gordon needs to play pretty much the rest of the season to be back in Scotland contention. I'm not sure we can take him if his action is limited to Scottish Cup games and maybe the odd 90 towards seasons end if Hearts are secure in 3rd or something. But if Gordon does play the rest of the season where does it leave Clark who has presumably established himself as Clarke's chosen 3rd keeper ahead of Kelly now? Can he go to the Euros with next to no football in 6 months?

Big week ahead. And if neither leaves the club, big few months ahead for both players and some difficult calls for both Naismith and Clarke.

I think Gordon will go as No.3 ahead of Kelly, whether he plays or not tbh

On 04/02/2024 at 06:53, immcinto said:

I've thought/hoped he could be since I saw him make his professional debut against East Fife in the League Cup. Didn't recognise the name and just assumed Queen's had signed some big 28 year old lad from England or something. He cruised through the game.

Only found out after he was 16 years old at the time.

Thank f**k Angus Gunn saw the light, Zander Clark has hit some form and Gordon has made a Lazarus like recovery.

With all due respect, conceding directly from a corner from Robbie Muirhead is not exactly auspicious 

12 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Based on Kelly’s performance in the first half at Morton tonight I’d certainly hope  Gordon will be ahead of him. 

Based on that performance I think Matthew Kelly will be ahead of him.

• 1 month later...
Spoiler
On 12/03/2024 at 11:41, Elgin Macca said:

Really don't get the 4 keepers, very strange. As expected for the rest

On 12/03/2024 at 12:06, Plymouth Par said:

4 goalkeepers and a stack of defenders but only 3 strikers ? Seems lopsided to me

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

I think he knows everything he needs to about his keepers at this point, the only thing he might want to see is how Gordon is after his injury but I don't know what he learns from Kelly as 4th choice.

Calling up four goalkeepers has caused a bit of drama and I'm not sure why as friendly matches don't have squad size limits so it doesn't affect any other departments.

The way I'm looking at this is Gunn, Clark and Kelly are the goalkeepers selected, but Steve Clarke wanted to bring Craig Gordon in as well to have a look at him with a view to this Summer. It's sensible to see how he's getting on, talk to him face to face and test where he is in their own training environment rather than rely on 2nd hand information. 

It gives us a chance to look at Craig up close because obviously, like you said, three competitive games and without being disrespectful to the opposition that Hearts have played in the cup already probably not games where Craig was overworked so it’ll be nice to see him in training with the other goalkeepers. 

Steve Clarke

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/13092739/scotland-craig-gordon-lawrence-shankland-kieran-tierney-in-25-man-squad-as-euro-2024-countdown-begins

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Calling up four goalkeepers has caused a bit of drama and I'm not sure why as friendly matches don't have squad size limits so it doesn't affect any other departments.

The way I'm looking at this is Gunn, Clark and Kelly are the goalkeepers selected, but Steve Clarke wanted to bring Craig Gordon in as well to have a look at him with a view to this Summer. It's sensible to see how he's getting on, talk to him face to face and test where he is in their own training environment rather than rely on 2nd hand information. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/13092739/scotland-craig-gordon-lawrence-shankland-kieran-tierney-in-25-man-squad-as-euro-2024-countdown-begins

What is the point in bringing in Kelly, he's no good enough and neither is Clark for that matter. We should of brought in a couple of the younger keepers and tried them out. 

16 hours ago, The SandDancer said:

What is the point in bringing in Kelly, he's no good enough and neither is Clark for that matter. We should of brought in a couple of the younger keepers and tried them out. 

Like???????

Three of them will go. That’s me talked it through! There’s every chance you get a goalkeeping injury so it’s nice to have the four. I’m saying of the four that three will go to the Euros, but maybe two get injured. Then I need to find another goalkeeper to come in.  Young Robby McCrorie at Rangers has been my go-to for bringing in if I need an extra goalkeeper. Those are the five and I am thinking three of them will go to the Euros. It’s nice to have Angus back in the group as well. It will come down to me as to whether I think Craig is right or not right to go. What I would say is don’t discount Zander, as he’s keeping him out the Hearts team. That tells you how good Zander has been to keep a keeper of Craig’s stature out of the team. It will be an interesting choice.

It’s possible, I have to take a lot of different factors into consideration. It would be a bit easier for selection if he was Hearts No- 1, but I wouldn’t say if he only plays two more Cup games, I wouldn’t select him. It’s a chance for me to see Craig working up close and working with the other goalkeepers in the group. He’s played three games since coming back but, without being disrespectful to the opposition, it’s Spartans, Airdrie and Morton. Craig hasn’t been overworked in the games so it will be nice for the goalkeeper coach Chris Woods and myself to see him up close and personal.

His (Gordon) performances for me as the head coach would have some bearing on it, but you have to be fit and well - pretty much like goalkeepers who are playing all the time as they get into a rhythm. Mentally and physically he is in great shape. He’s a strong-willed person, very strong mentally to come back from such a significant injury at that stage in his career. He’s done great to get back and let’s see how it goes.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/12203925/craig-gordon-euro-2024-scotland-steve-clarke-hearts-games/

On 09/02/2024 at 20:29, Distant Doonhamer said:

Based on Kelly’s performance in the first half at Morton tonight I’d certainly hope  Gordon will be ahead of him. 

Based on Kelly’s performances I’d hope you or I would be ahead of him.