The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Nobody has a right to walk into the team, but the fact that Angus Gunn has been the traffic cone standing between the sticks watching us pummel everyone else in the group doesn't give him a right to keep the jersey either. We have still, astonishingly, four caps in, got zero idea how good he actually is.

The only indicator I'd suggest is that the defence has looked pretty solid and confident. We all know what it looks like when the outfield players feel they have to protect a dodgy keeper.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Nobody has a right to walk into the team, but the fact that Angus Gunn has been the traffic cone standing between the sticks watching us pummel everyone else in the group doesn't give him a right to keep the jersey either. We have still, astonishingly, four caps in, got zero idea how good he actually is.

We have some idea.

For one, he's far far far far far better than Craig Gordon with the ball at his feet. And that's not to disparage Gordon, but this is a key skill in the modern game.

Also, he's shown himself to be very good at getting off his line for balls over the top - another good sign.

Whether he can pull off worldies? Well, we haven't had chance to see that yet.

But he looks good to me thus far.

16 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think our opponents might have adopted more of a shoot on sight policy, had that been the case. I think we might also have defended a bit deeper to protect you.

Sorry to say so, but I'm not that convinced we'd still have conceded just the one.

🤣 Fair. I'm not as mobile as I once was, and I'm waiting for a hernia to be attended to so you're likely right.

To be fair, Gunn made a couple of decent actual saves last night so he's not now been as idle as he was previously either.

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Whether he can pull off worldies? Well, we haven't had chance to see that yet.

He very nearly got to Haaland's penalty, which was delivered with roughly the same power as a Djokovic serve and laser-pointed into the corner.

The big difference (positive) for me has been Gunn's use of the ball with his feet. Especially now we have turned into a technically good side. Recycling through the goalkeeper is key to this at times but also when its not on he as the little clip to the full back in his locker also. As good a goalkeeper as Gordon is when the ball is at his feet it gives me the absolute fear.

21 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’m just not 100% certain that Gunn will ever be forced to pull off any miraculous saves in his Scotland career, given we are such ballers now. 

Or any saves at all, tbh.

In four games so far, the closest thing he’s had to a tough save to make was the Sorloth header in Oslo which was right at him. He did very well to hold on to it though as a few Norwegians were ready to pounce on any rebound if he parried it. 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Or any saves at all, tbh.

In four games so far, the closest thing he’s had to a tough save to make was the Sorloth header in Oslo which was right at him. He did very well to hold on to it though as a few Norwegians were ready to pounce on any rebound if he parried it. 

Unless I imagined the whole thing (there were lots of surreal things at Hampden last night to be fair) he made a very decent save at someone's feet about 15 yards out late in the second half. I recall turning to my son and commenting it was the first time he'd had an actual save of note to make in 4 games.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Unless I imagined the whole thing (there were lots of surreal things at Hampden last night to be fair) he made a very decent save at someone's feet about 15 yards out late in the second half. I recall turning to my son and commenting it was the first time he'd had an actual save of note to make in 4 games.

To be fair I was half asleep on my sofa by the end of the second half 

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Craig Gordon with a ball at his feet. Even if he fails to re-establish himself a Scotland's #1 (something I think he can do if circumstances fall in his favour) then I hope he earns the chance to represent Scotland at least one more time. I don't know there is any recognition for 75 caps like there is for 25 but that would be rewarding to see even if only in a friendly game.

53 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Good to see Craig Gordon with a ball at his feet. Even if he fails to re-establish himself a Scotland's #1 (something I think he can do if circumstances fall in his favour) then I hope he earns the chance to represent Scotland at least one more time. I don't know there is any recognition for 75 caps like there is for 25 but that would be rewarding to see even if only in a friendly game.

Didn't think I'd ever see these words in that order.

But seriously, all the best to him.

Edited by Barry Ferguson's Hat

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

No idea whether or not he will be available to play by then but it would be fitting if his 75th and final cap could come in the friendly in Lille given that he will be best remembered for his two clean sheets against France in 2006 and 2007.

• 2 months later...

I’ve had the gloves on this week in training, I have managed to join in with a couple of aspects of it. I’m looking towards joining in with a full training session next week, which is pretty exciting, I haven’t done that in a while - so I’m looking forward to getting back out there with the boys. I have done a couple of little shooting sessions, it has been nice to make a few saves again, but to actually do the full session next week and see how I react to that, is pretty exciting - I can’t wait.

It’s pretty good to be back in full training in under nine months. I just need to see how I react to that. Everybody has been great with me, the physios, sport science, nobody is putting any end dates on it as to when I can be back in contention, but certainly everything is looking good at the moment.

Craig Gordon

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/11244873/craig-gordon-hearts-return-full-training-leg-break/

22 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

he'd be our top caps winner easily if it wasn't for his injuries. That 2 year spell with his mysterious knee tendon injury and this past year. 

Having mcgregor and marshall available at the same time also cost him.

100%, I had a quick look there and he is on 74 caps. Had it not been for that injury and the 2 keepers mentioned then there is no doubt he would have. For me, I loved Andy Goram, he was one of the reasons I wanted to be a Keeper, but there could be a very strong argument made that Gordon has been our best ever.

• 1 month later...