The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Indeed, it's not a particularly big loss and I expect he won't be first choice at Brighton next season.

Door not fully closed, he might come back but happy with Angus Gunn for now as it is (and he snubbed us plenty of times).

I'd guess that part of Gunn's decision to play for Scotland was that he's likely to get regular time on the pitch now, rather than warming the bench behind Gordon/McGregor/Marshall. We've had a number of keepers over the years who were unfortunate to play at a time when we had some ever-present top class talent.

Steele would likely find himself in that position behind Gunn (and possibly Gordon), so there no big incentive to play for a country that he doesn't necessarily have an affinity for. It might change if Gunn takes a bad injury, or his form tanks, but you'd have to assume he's likely to be The Keeper for the foreseeable.

Aye I really dont think there's any substance to the chat around Gordon taking the gloves when he comes back. He was making mistakes for Hearts before his injury and he then broke his leg in two places.

Being 40 and coming back from an injury like that to even play regular fives would be impressive enough, I don't think there's any chance he'll do anything other than retire tbh.

I think Gordon still has a future with Scotland, it might be absolutely limited, but I still see him as having a chance to adding to his cap total.

Long term, Gunn is going to get the gloves unless someone completely out of the blue turns up or Scott Bain/Zander Clark/Liam Kelly etc suddenly turn into Buffon which doesn't look likely so of course he's decided he's happy to jump ship at this point.

Craig Gordon's future with Scotland if he fully recovers and is miraculously the keeper he once was is still limited to a year or two at the maximum. Gunn will rack up the appearances longer term so if he has to 'suffer' by being second choice to one of Scotland's best ever servants for a period of 5-10 games then I don't see it as a major issue either way.

15 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye I really dont think there's any substance to the chat around Gordon taking the gloves when he comes back. He was making mistakes for Hearts before his injury and he then broke his leg in two places.

Being 40 and coming back from an injury like that to even play regular fives would be impressive enough, I don't think there's any chance he'll do anything other than retire tbh.

Gordon has been back from injury before, and was already back in the gym a couple of months after the injury. I suspect he'll want to continue, and if he remains competent then there's no reason to not have him involved. Gunn makes mistakes for Norwich regularly, it's not like we've got prime Buffon for him to compete with.

As it stands Ross Sinclair is due to be our number one in the top flight next season, at 22.

Was relatively impressive in the final two games of the season, where he pulled off a couple of cracking 1v1 saves. Total unknown how he'll do over any period of time though so too early to talk about Scotland.

Just unsure how many other u23 Scottish keepers have been first choice in the top flight recently? 

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gordon has been back from injury before, and was already back in the gym a couple of months after the injury. I suspect he'll want to continue, and if he remains competent then there's no reason to not have him involved. Gunn makes mistakes for Norwich regularly, it's not like we've got prime Buffon for him to compete with.

Aye, he has came back from injury, and that was admirable, but he was a younger man then. 

Being pictured in the gym was great to see. I don't know how he's doing right now, or how far away he is from anything close to fitness. I don't doubt his mental fortitude, but I think it's hugely optimistic to talk about him coming back to play, let alone playing at any sort of top level.

52 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Rightly or wrongly I’m not sure Clarke will want to piss off a potential ten year number one who took multiple attempts to convince to get on board in order to squeeze a few more caps out of Gordon. 

It would be nice to have Gordon available as back up but Gunn is the undisputed first choice. CG was world class in his day but the world moves on

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He will pick the best goalkeeper available, if Gunn isn't good enough to start for Scotland then he's going to have to suck that up.

If Gordon hadn't been injured that would still be Gunn. Gordons at the end of his career, if he can get back into the squad that would be nice to see.

Top Keeper in his day, the best of our recent keepers

But unless he has access to a time machine he's not going to be no 1 again.

On 10/06/2023 at 14:51, RandomGuy. said:

As it stands Ross Sinclair is due to be our number one in the top flight next season, at 22.

Was relatively impressive in the final two games of the season, where he pulled off a couple of cracking 1v1 saves. Total unknown how he'll do over any period of time though so too early to talk about Scotland.

Just unsure how many other u23 Scottish keepers have been first choice in the top flight recently? 

Jack Newman at United for a period and Harrison Sharp for us towards the end of the previous season.

Time will tell but I don't see either getting to the point where they'll be anywhere near being mentioned for the Scotland squad tbh.

19 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jack Newman at United for a period and Harrison Sharp for us towards the end of the previous season.

Time will tell but I don't see either getting to the point where they'll be anywhere near being mentioned for the Scotland squad tbh.

Forgot about Sharp for you lot tbh, Newman felt like he got games due to being the only alternative to Birighitti though.

Quite a nice article adding/confirming a little bit of the context around Angus Gunn and the timeline of his switch to Scotland. 

I hope he surpasses my total by 10-fold. It’s a great opportunity for him. The previous incumbents in that goalkeeping position all got into high numbers and there’s no reason Angus can’t do the same and if you qualify for tournaments, you can make yourself a legend.

There was an invitation to come and play at youth level for Scotland and then a little bit later when Alex McLeish was back managing the senior side, but if you look back at the goalkeepers who were playing for Scotland at that time, you had David Marshall, Allan McGregor and Craig Gordon, there were over 150 caps between them. Angus would have been coming to be back-up, there was no guarantee of a game then, whereas, when he was in the England set-up, he played 20-odd times for their Under-21s team, including the first game with Gareth Southgate as manager. Then he was called up for the full squad against Brazil in 2018, so he was always in with a shout of being involved with England.

He was born in England. You have to respect that. Obviously I did my bit, along with Susan, naming him Angus Fraser James Gunn! We tried right from the start, but I’m glad it was his decision in the end. His Scottish team-mates at Norwich, Grant Hanley and Kenny McLean, probably played a big part in it. When he said he was going to meet Steve Clarke, I was delighted. Steve (Clarke) and I played our last full international together in the Netherlands in 1994. We also represented Scotland Under-19s at the World Youth Cup in front of 100,000 people at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico. He scored the only goal and I kept a clean sheet. 

There were connections and I knew it would work. Angus got the call from Tony Spearing, who works on the scouting side with Scotland, and then Chris Woods, the goalkeeping coach. The meeting with the manager went well and then it was just the paperwork. There were lots of rumours flying around that Angus would switch across but we couldn’t be sure until the letter came back from FIFA saying his registration had been changed to Scotland.  

Bryan Gunn

https://www.aberdeenlive.news/sport/football/football-news/ex-aberdeen-keeper-bryan-gunn-8512477