The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Did Marshall announce his retirement from international football after the euros or was he just quietly dropped?
Dropped because he was third-choice or something at Derby.

I see Guardiola gave Scott Carson 20 minutes last night for a laugh. Slicker finished? Yes imo.

I've liked the way the Goalkeeping situation has been handled post Euros. It seems like Craig Gordon is first choice. David Marshall and Jon McLaughlin compete to be the backup senior goalkeeper. Liam Kelly and Zander Clark both build their experience rotating every other camp as the number three and hopefully we begin to see one of them shine and start getting the odd game this year or next. 

15 hours ago, Christophe said:

Just watching the EFL highlights from tonight. Marshall played very well seemingly despite the result but then went off injured against Forest 

About time, he's been badly at fault for a couple of recent goals. One at Luton on Sunday didn't matter so much as they came back to win.

Clark has been called up to replace Marshall.

I’m guessing McLaughlin is completely out unless he started to push McGregor this season. Seems to have fallen off the radar since GVB took over.

I was expecting Jon McLaughlin if I'm honest given what Steve Clarke had said only a few days ago.

I always like to have at least two senior goalkeepers, so with Craig (Gordon) and David (Marhsall) I've got that.

Steve Clarke

https://youtu.be/msHHkDYyHxM?t=122

Liam (Kelly) and Zander (Clark) have been rotating on the third Goalkeeping position - they both understand the situation, they both know where they are in the grand scheme of things and it will be nice to see Liam back in the squad this time.   

Steve Clarke

https://youtu.be/rwDWn4GuYVs?t=603

Edited by 2426255

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Zander Clark is 29 and there are only 6 players older than him in the squad, surely that makes him "senior".

I meant in terms of him being a newcomer to the National team, but you could well be right and that's how Steve Clarke sees things.

47 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We’ve played 157 matches since May 2004 and Gordon/Marshall/McGregor have played 144 of them. How unfortunate that three of the best keepers we’ve ever produced are almost identical in age 

Good trivia question as to who played in the other 13 matches. Without googling I’ve got Bain, Archer & McLaughlin…

6 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Good trivia question as to who played in the other 13 matches. Without googling I’ve got Bain, Archer & McLaughlin…

Think they cover five (Archer v Peru, McLaughlin/Bain v Mexico, Bain v Kazakhstan and San Marino and McLaughlin v San Marino). Matt Gilks got one or two caps, I'm sure, but he might not have got full 90s and so the big three might have played in them. Stumped on the rest. 

10 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’ve got 15 caps altogether from those out with the main three since Gordon’s debut, so we must have made a GK substitution on a couple of occasions:

Scott Bain - 3 caps 

Jordan Archer - 1 cap

Jon McLaughlin - 2 caps

Matt Gilks - 3 caps

Cammy Bell - 1 cap

Neil Alexander - 3 caps

Rab Douglas - 2 caps (His other 17 predated Gordon’s debut) 

I’ve got 15 caps altogether from those out with the main three since Gordon’s debut, so we must have made a GK substitution on a couple of occasions:

Scott Bain - 3 caps 
Jordan Archer - 1 cap
Jon McLaughlin - 2 caps
Matt Gilks - 3 caps
Cammy Bell - 1 cap
Neil Alexander - 3 caps
Rab Douglas - 2 caps (His other 17 predated Gordon’s debut) 
I remember vividly Craig Gordon replacing Rab Douglas in the San Siro which was 2005

Yes, he did pull off some world-class saves in that first half against Austria but that was all undone with his second half performance. Really poor. I'm not excusing the defence but at the very minimum the keeper has got to make a dive for the 2 goals but instead just stood there ball-watching. He's a tall keeper and he should be able to get to those. As for when the ball is at his feet, he is a bomb-scare. Zero composure, he either panics and hoofs the ball far too early or takes too long and underestimates how quickly opposing strikers will close him down. 

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

Yes, he did pull off some world-class saves in that first half against Austria but that was all undone with his second half performance. Really poor. I'm not excusing the defence but at the very minimum the keeper has got to make a dive for the 2 goals but instead just stood there ball-watching. He's a tall keeper and he should be able to get to those. As for when the ball is at his feet, he is a bomb-scare. Zero composure, he either panics and hoofs the ball far too early or takes too long and underestimates how quickly opposing strikers will close him down. 

Seriously?