The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

Assume Gordon will be around for the next campaign till Euro 2024, although he will be 41 and a half by the time the tournament kicks off. Can only hope we have another keeper playing regular first team football at a decent level before then, or we will probably be starting the World Cup 2026 campaign with Zander Clarke or Liam Kelly as number one.

I don’t think we can work on the basis that Gordon will keep at it for that long. There are very few keepers that can, and those who do normally decline pretty dramatically.

Fair fucks to Marshall for thinking he should step aside. There must've been  a fair possibility just by hanging around he could have scraped another 3 caps together to reach 50.

The fact he got 47 caps when he was initially easily the 3rd choice behind Gordon and McGregor is in itself remarkable.

What's next? Fcuk kens!

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

We’ve asked Angus Gunn more than once, he said no

He can GTF 

We are in no position to be telling good quality keepers to GTF so I’d be phoning him at least once a year until he changes his mind

Edited by Donathan

38 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Fair fucks to Marshall for thinking he should step aside. There must've been  a fair possibility just by hanging around he could have scraped another 3 caps together to reach 50.

The fact he got 47 caps when he was initially easily the 3rd choice behind Gordon and McGregor is in itself remarkable.

What's next? Fcuk kens!

We've definitely been blessed to have had three good keepers in recent years.

I think Marshall was generally the lesser of the three, but the other two never gave us a moment like Marshall did in Belgrade.

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We are in no position to be telling good quality keepers to GTF so I’d be phoning him at least once a year until he changes his mind

Angus Gunn isn't a good quality keeper though.

38 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

We've definitely been blessed to have had three good keepers in recent years.

I think Marshall was generally the lesser of the three, but the other two never gave us a moment like Marshall did in Belgrade.

Oh, and even the likes of Neil Alexander and Matt Gilks were solid enough and were unfortunate to be playing at the same time as Gordon, McGregor and Marshall.

As a pure keeper, Gordon was the best of the three imo. His performances in the home and away double over France were incredible. It’s a shame he spent much of the next decade injured after that.

McGregor maybe had the best club career but his Scotland career was often tainted by the Cameron house incident and then he retired early on in the Clarke era.

Marshall was for me the poorest keeper of the three, but still had a fantastic international career and gave us a moment none of us will ever forget. 

I've nothing against people playing for Scotland who were born elsewhere, but I think you need to consider yourself a Scot, even if you also consider yourself English, Australian, etc. It shouldn't be like signing for a club. It would be deeply depressing if Angus Gunn finally realised he'd never play for England and reluctantly agreed to play for us just to get some international football under his belt.

We could look on the bright side; competition for the imminent vacancy in goal could cause our available keepers to up their game. With Gordon, Marshall, and McGregor about, the rest knew they'd no chance of even getting a cap. There's no stellar candidates, but they might do better than we're assuming.

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

As a pure keeper, Gordon was the best of the three imo. His performances in the home and away double over France were incredible. It’s a shame he spent much of the next decade injured after that.

McGregor maybe had the best club career but his Scotland career was often tainted by the Cameron house incident and then he retired early on in the Clarke era.

Marshall was for me the poorest keeper of the three, but still had a fantastic international career and gave us a moment none of us will ever forget. 

Did McGregor not chuck it during McLeish II rather than after Clarke came in?

2 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Did McGregor not chuck it during McLeish II rather than after Clarke came in?

Yeah, it was soon after the Israel Nations League game at Hampden. He spat the dummy because the SFA rejected his appeal against a red card in a game against Aberdeen.

Ciaran Slicker plays for the u21s. Did you mean someone else? 
Unfortunately, he doesn’t look like making it at City (who does?) 
Are there any young lads in the Championship or League One? I’m always conscious that keepers mature late, and academy keepers rarely make the first team as there’s not often space.

We have Jamie Smith who's been in Scotland youth squads (maybe u19 or u17) but he's not been able to get going on loan due to covering as backup for injured keepers. He made his one and only pro appearance after we'd already been relegated - poor at the two goals but saved a penalty so an eventful debut.

There's the guy at Queen of the South who I've seen folk praise. He might have just had an off day against Accies but it was a really shit goalkeeping performance.

18 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Sad to see him go, but it is a bit strange to retire during an international break is it not?

Wouldn’t be surprised if he makes himself available in case of an emergency since he’s a top guy

It is strange, but I guess he knows he won’t be adding to his caps during this break and we already have 2 backups to Gordon anyway. 

Always a shame for a player not to reach 50 caps when they’re so close (McFadden ending on 48 springs to mind) but Marshall has been a very good servant to Scotland nonetheless, and the night in Serbia won’t be forgotten.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

McCrorie called up to the squad following Marshall's retirement.

Christ.

Can only hope he is only there to be a glorified ballboy at training.

Seems odd having 4 keepers in the squad when we seem very reluctant to play anyone other than Gordon, no matter the opposition.