The Goalkeeper - Next Big Problem

Ludo*1

Who should be Scotland number 1 at the Euros?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, lesheep said:

How so? It was a shot practically straight down the middle 😂

Perhaps this was the first football match you have ever watched and I am being harsh.  

He's essentially done everything right and got unlucky, he's got just a miniscule amount not enough on it and it's hit off the post and gone over the line. 

It's not like he has dove over the ball or gone the wrong way.  

If we were talking about the 5th goal, he's done himself no favours there but at the first, that simply just happens in football, whether you are Angus Gunn or Manuel Neur. 

37 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Perhaps this was the first football match you have ever watched and I am being harsh.  

He's essentially done everything right and got unlucky, he's got just a miniscule amount not enough on it and it's hit off the post and gone over the line. 

If we were talking about the 5th goal, he's done himself no favours there but at the first, that simply just happens in football, whether you are Angus Gunn or Manuel Neur. 

Just calling it how it is. I think I would have saved that first one. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I thought Gunn was fine. What were the things people have an issue with? I assume the fifth German goal? maybe his kicking? I thought he was okay and I'm surprised to see him being targeted. Most of the German goals were rockets that were past him before he saw them.

Him not catching the ball when it was going in the goal 

Just now, lesheep said:

Just calling it how it is. I think I would have saved that first one. 

It's just a symptom of where we are. It's not a howler, but to stand any chance of getting something out of the game we couldn't afford even reasonably forgivable goalkeeping errors. It wasn't just Gunn, the whole team started nervously and simply didn't reach the levels they needed to regardless of whatever the tactical plan was. That's the bottom line for me. 

We don't have better than Gunn and he has done quite well by and large so no point trying to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

45 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Fantasy shite

Got a full hand on it

If you watch the highlights package on BBC Iplayer of the qualifying Gunn literally didn't make a save.  I guess despite the English pundit cliches we have actually had good goalkeepers for decades and now we really don't.  

Zander Clark had a nightmare against Norway at home costing us a couple of goals, Gunn was at least decent as a sweeper tonight.

Just watched the 5th goal again.  Should have been 3-1, a Leighton/Goram maybe 2-1.

It's not his fault he isn't good, we don't have anyone better.

In hindsight Craig Gordon would have been the way to go.

Edited by Sesh

50 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think the first and the fifth are both classic examples of “could have done better” without being howlers. By my reckoning he would have saved both of them if he had been a yard off his line, but I’m seeing more and more keepers being pinned to their line to the extent that I’m wondering if it’s something they’re actually being coached to do now (Onana at Man Utd is another obvious example).

I can’t really see the benefit of it though. You might get another 1/100 of a second to react but you have much more ground to cover to get to the ball and you need a much stronger hand to get the ball round the post. 

Agree however that Gunn is still our best keeper by a distance and has to keep the jersey. 

9 minutes ago, Sesh said:

Just watched the 5th goal again.  Should have been 3-1.

It's not his fault he isn't good, we don't have anyone better.

In hindsight Craig Gordon would have been the way to go.

I always feel I have to caveat any criticism of him by saying I think he’s been absolutely phenomenal over the last 20 years but Craig Gordon was at fault for as many goals in 15 minutes against Finland as Gunn was in 90 minutes against Germany. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

3 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

I always feel I have to caveat any criticism of him because I think he’s been absolutely phenomenal over the last 20 years but Craig Gordon was at fault for as many goals in 15 minutes against Finland as Gunn was in 90 minutes against Germany. 

It's just a hindsight argument anyway. No one before the game was saying Gunn shouldn't start the Germany game. It's the usual: 'he made a minor mistake, so we shouldn't have picked him'.

Edited by 2426255

Just now, 2426255 said:

It's just a hindsight argument anyway. No one before the game was saying Gunn shouldn't start the Germany game.

True but he isn't great, weakest goalkeeper since who?  

If he was a top class goalie he wouldn't be playing in the Championship and he would be playing for England not Scotland. Set your expectations back down to reality please.

I agree but it's worth thinking about in terms of how tonight went.

We played like shit but peak Craig Gordon and it would have been 2-1 with no sending off. 

Massive difference,

Just now, Sesh said:

I agree but it's worth thinking about in terms of how tonight went.

We played like shit but peak Craig Gordon and it would have been 2-1 with no sending off. 

Massive difference,

We don't have peak Craig Gordon. We have the 41 year old version. We have players in our team that are going to make mistakes, it's a fact because they're not as good consistently as our opponents tonight. You can criticise them and try and make them scapegoats or whatever if you want or you can just accept it and move on and hope we can be better in the next game. It was a bad night, we could have played better, things didn't go to plan, The End. 

Also as I said it's not his fault, we are lucky to have him the other 2 are worse. 

I do wonder if we would have been better with CG though...

Gunn's not blameless at the first goal, the shot is at the middle of the goal and he gets a good strong hand on it. He has to keep that out. If he's another yard or two off his line then he saves it. To defend him slightly I wonder if he was partially unsighted

But there were faults all over the pitch in the build up. Kroos has no pressure at all so pings a ball 50 yards across the pitch, nobody closes down the receiver of the pass and nobody's tracking the run of the goalscorer. That's basics

Like a lot of folk, I think Gunn should've done better at the first, the save leading to the penalty and the 5th goal. He annoyed me at the penalty as well, as Havertz does that stutter all the time and Gunn seemed to go down so early. Maybe I'm being overly critical.

I'm not having that Craig Gordon, who's barely kicked a ball in 18 months, is currently a better option though. 

Not only will Angus Gunn certainly start the next two games - barring injury or suspension.
He will also almost certainly be our undisputed number 1 for the next five years at least. 
Not because he’s an international level goalie or anything - he clearly isn’t. But simply because there is no one else on the horizon who is better, eligible and playing regular first time football at an acceptable level. 
I thought he did okay in parts last night, there were two or three times he did a great job of sweeping up outside his box with the Germans marauding behind our line. Had he not been on his toes there that would certainly have been more goals against.

He probably should have done better with a couple of the goals, but they weren’t howlers. Certainly not Gordon against Finland level howlers.