European Super League.

Lofarl

The new champions league format isnt a kick in the arse away from the ESL either tbh. UEFA, Sky (and the other broadcasters) and the respective leagues can take their morale high ground and go and f**k themselves.

9 minutes ago, DMCs said:

I mean at the moment Spurs are only less than €140m euros in revenue behind both PSG and Bayern. That would easily be made up if the Super League goes ahead.

Ultimately it comes down to whether fans migrate over to the SL from the Champions League. I think a huge number will.

Only 140m euros? Pfft. 

I do see your point though. But it assumes that non permanent ESL clubs stand still. They might. 

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Same. If any club is desperate for the billionaires league they can wire in, but they should be removed from domestic competition. If they want to come back after their 23 year deal is up then they can start at the bottom of the pyramid. None of that will happen though and the big clubs will get what they want. 

I don't really understand the clamour for it - I find the majority of big Champions League games dull as f**k as it is, you couldn't pay me to watch an ESL. Wee VL Fifa players are the only ones who seem to revel in it. 

The clamour for it is entirely financial. The clubs involved carry astronomical debts, though I think Man City probably signed up due to FOMO rather than financial necessity. The alternative would be downsizing somewhat and dealing with their financial problems properly. That doesn't work with their ego's however, so the ultra short term, immediate boost to liquidity option has been taken instead. Sadly, I agree that they will probably end up getting exactly what they want. Add that to the Americans who view it from a US Sports perspective and we are where we are.

7 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

The new champions league format isnt a kick in the arse away from the ESL either tbh. UEFA, Sky (and the other broadcasters) and the respective leagues can take their morale high ground and go and f**k themselves.

UEFA definitely missed a chance to make some real, radical changes. I guess however that this new format was long agreed and was only awaiting rubber stamping. The big clubs were again being given more, but not enough to satisfy what they want(And in some cases, desperately need to avoid doing a Rangers). If the Super League goes ahead, the next round of UEFA reconstruction talks are potentially huge. There will be scope to make serious, long term, positive changes to competition and cash distribution. They will no longer need to pander to the elite, which has been one of their biggest problems since the early 90's.

Edited by Ross.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Have Fergie and King Kenny come out to condemn? After all they are champions of the working class and have a good bit of influence in their respective clubs.

Sir Alex said that he disagreed with the Super League.

7 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Yeah, because of these clubs. Most of the reforms in the game that people are complaining about have been driven by the clubs. Much as FIFA and UEFA are corrupt b*****ds, they are not the main people driving these changes. Why did we have FFP? Because it was needed, and why did it fail? because clubs try to find ways round it.  

Like it or not (and I don't like it either) the new CL format still has the opportunity for clubs to earn their way into it, that isn't a small difference, its a huge one. 

Some of the details of the new UEFA competition format from 2024/25 have pretty much went through unnoticed.

It's not just the CL which will be increasing in size. The EL and Conf. could be expanding to 36 teams as well according to the UEFA statement. A fairly similar league format in those competitions too. 8 league games in the Europa. 6 in the Conf. Not sure how playing six teams in a league of 32/36 teams will work, even with seeding, but whatever.

04/05 - 08/09: 32 CL + 40 UEFA cup = 72 GS places
09/10 - 20/21: 32 CL + 48 EL = 80 GS places
21/22 - 23/24: 32 CL + 32 EL + 32 Conf. = 96 GS places
24/25 - 26/27: 36 CL + 36 EL + 36 Conf. = 108 GS places

This is obviously still up in the air. Would be surprised if things stay exactly the same given the situation with the super league.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-1213f7aa85bb-d56154ff8fe8-1000--new-uefa-club-competition-formats/

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Have Fergie and King Kenny come out to condemn? After all they are champions of the working class and have a good bit of influence in their respective clubs.

Fergie has.

2 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I agree, I want a more competitive domestic league in Scotland and same in Europe, I want the money shared out as equally and as fairly as possible. It should be european wide. Aligned rules for sharing the cash in Domestic and Europe. Even gate money should find a balance and be shared more equally and be done european wide. 

That would create more of a level playing field and would help close the gap thats appeared since money started pouring into the game. It would also spread good players throughout leagues and clubs again instead of the few rich clubs having massive squads of players who rarely play.

Im not saying those ideas are the best other people might have good points to raise against those ideas and have better ones.

One things for sure, for Football in europe. We have a once in a lifetime chance to change its path. Whatever comes out of this will decide it for long time.

The champions league is already far to slated towards the rich clubs and a complete imbalance in money paid out has created 1or2 horse races  across europe.

Stopping the superleague isnt enough its got to be full scale change or its going to go the other wrong way even if super league doesnt happen this year

Did gate money not used to be split 50-50 in Scotland but the OF campaigned against it to get to keep the home gate money?

Even with a 50-50 split you would be getting the lions share as you get half of 60k 19 times a season when everyone else would only get it twice.

Lets assume that this happens.

Sky retain their mix of EPL and Scottish football but no European.

BT retain Europa and UCL and some EPL.

ESL is taken up by a stand alone subscription, or even Amazon or the like.

What would folk still pay for?

I mean thats the crux of it. For me id probably keep whatever the Scottish football was on and bin the rest. I wouldnt pay current prices for any of the services I have (Sky and BT). I wouldn't pay a bean towards ESL, so that would leave me looking for costs being cut on the rest, or patching live tv football altogether.

How do you all see it re monthly cash out of your pocket?

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Yeah, because of these clubs. Most of the reforms in the game that people are complaining about have been driven by the clubs. Much as FIFA and UEFA are corrupt b*****ds, they are not the main people driving these changes. Why did we have FFP? Because it was needed, and why did it fail? because clubs try to find ways round it.  

Like it or not (and I don't like it either) the new CL format still has the opportunity for clubs to earn their way into it, that isn't a small difference, its a huge one. 

The very obvious out ball for UEFA here is to further modify the Champions League changes so that it is, in all but name, the same product as the Super League proposal.  

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56812151.amp

Some more from Florentino Perez there. Some particular highlights:  

"If we continue with the Champions League there is less and less interest and then it's over" 

Now, why might that be? Can't be due to it being the same teams over and over again, can it? 

"When you don't have any income other than from television, you have to find a solution to make more attractive matches that fans all over the world can watch with all of the big clubs,"

Presumably like those attractive Champions League matches everyone is losing interest in. 

"If young people don't watch an entire game it is because it is not interesting enough, or we will have to shorten the games."

Many of the worst games I've seen are between England's "big six". Utter borefests where teams are terrified of losing. The latter part is unhinged - essentially the "model" for all these new fans are morons that spend their day on Twitter shitposting the Messi/Ronaldo GOAT debate. Or Americans, who call the sport the wrong name and have the attention span of a goldfish. 

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I mean thats the crux of it. For me id probably keep whatever the Scottish football was on and bin the rest. I wouldnt pay current prices for any of the services I have (Sky and BT). I wouldn't pay a bean towards ESL, so that would leave me looking for costs being cut on the rest, or patching live tv football altogether.

I'd continue paying my £50 a month to Clydebank and watch whatever I can find between Swiss/German/French/Italian/Austrian cooncil telly, which I pay about 30 quid a month for.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56812151.amp
Some more from Florentino Perez there. Some particular highlights:  
"If we continue with the Champions League there is less and less interest and then it's over" 
Now, why might that be? Can't be due to it being the same teams over and over again, can it? 
"When you don't have any income other than from television, you have to find a solution to make more attractive matches that fans all over the world can watch with all of the big clubs,"
Presumably like those attractive Champions League matches everyone is losing interest in. 
"If young people don't watch an entire game it is because it is not interesting enough, or we will have to shorten the games."
Many of the worst games I've seen are between England's "big six". Utter borefwsts where teams are terrified of losing. The latter part is unhinged - essentially the "model" for all these new fans are morons that spend their day on Twitter shitposting the Messi/Ronaldo GOAT debate. Or Americans, who call the sport the wrong name and have the attention span of a goldfish. 

Perez is a stupid cretin. f**k him.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

There is no chance the professional game will make the fundamental structural changes required to distribute resources more evenly across clubs. That ship has absolutely sailed.

when no plans or ideas are put forward by any united group of fans, we have zero chance

I've already fired BT in the bin, I'd probably do the same to Sky if they never had the Premiership on it

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The globalization of the game is a natural evolution for these clubs they don't need governing bodies or fans it's a rich mans playground.  

That probably rules you and me out, willy.

18 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Did gate money not used to be split 50-50 in Scotland but the OF campaigned against it to get to keep the home gate money?

Even with a 50-50 split you would be getting the lions share as you get half of 60k 19 times a season when everyone else would only get it twice.

It changed at some point, no sure when or that it was 50-50 but I think it could be relooked at and the way to do it is as an european wide agreement for all domestic leagues.

Im not sure how it is in europes domestic leagues currently, I would need to look it up