Curling Thread

Caledonian1

• 1 month later...

Just heard that Ayr Ice Rink is closing in September.

My own curling team just had its AGM a few weeks ago.

Guess we'll be having an EGM now and considering other options - maybe using the Galleon in Killie or driving down to Stranraer.

• 3 months later...

Ayr Ice Rink now in voluntary liquidation.

There were derisory offers (including one for £1), some even claiming they were pulling out "on seeing the amount of debt". There was NO debt - the forecasted fuel costs for the forthcoming session would have meant a massive hike in playing fees, which almost no-one was willing to pay.

There is talk of turning another venue into an ice rink (a disused bowling club has been mentioned) but for now our club is having to play at Greenacres.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 16:57, AyrshireTon said:

Ayr Ice Rink now in voluntary liquidation.

There were derisory offers (including one for £1), some even claiming they were pulling out "on seeing the amount of debt". There was NO debt - the forecasted fuel costs for the forthcoming session would have meant a massive hike in playing fees, which almost no-one was willing to pay.

There is talk of turning another venue into an ice rink (a disused bowling club has been mentioned) but for now our club is having to play at Greenacres.

I spent a season curling when there was a rink in Brora, always meant to go back to it. There can't be many rinks left with Paisley, Braehead and Ayr gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoying the European Curling at Aberdeen this week. Scotland men doing very well and fully expected to make semis.  The womens team are doing pretty well too after a shaky start - had great win v Sweden this evening (watched a lot of it - often popped into the rink to watch then into bar area to see shots "live" BBC iPlayer a few mins later)

I have been a volunteer driver for the teams to / from hotel.  Overall the teams are great company and very chatty in the bus (well apart from 5 time world champions and currenly Olympic champs Niklas Edins Sweden rink - who I had to drive back to the hotle sharpish after losing their first game on Saturday)

Straightforward 9-4 win for the men this morning v Netherlands.  One more victory (out of two) secures a semi place.  Mouatts rink can beat anyone but would prefer to miss the Swedes in the semi - hopefully make Saturdays final as I am again a volunteer driver for the teams then.  Although sold out should be able to nip through and watch.

The Scotland womens team pretty much need to beat Estonia this afternoon and Norway tomorrow am to ensure a semi place.

24 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Straightforward 9-4 win for the men this morning v Netherlands.  One more victory (out of two) secures a semi place.  Mouatts rink can beat anyone but would prefer to miss the Swedes in the semi - hopefully make Saturdays final as I am again a volunteer driver for the teams then.  Although sold out should be able to nip through and watch.

The Scotland womens team pretty much need to beat Estonia this afternoon and Norway tomorrow am to ensure a semi place.

It was pretty one sided and a non-event after the first steal.

The most interesting thing that happened after that was Bobby Lammie somehow managing to fall on his face when sweeping.

Never seen that before in curling.

Scotland V Sweden final tomorrow in the mens competition. 

Perfectly set up European and World Champs v Olympic Gold medalists.

I am on duty for transporting teams to / from hotel to rink so hopeful that I can get in the rink for the match (it is a sell out)  It will be on BBC iplayer / BBC Scotland Sport website and hopefully on tv?   It is 2pm on Saturday.

Will be at the rink tonight for Switzerland v Italy bronze medal match.......

Excellent day at the European Finals yesterday.  The mens final was as expected, unbelievably tight between Scotland and Sweden and went down to the last stone in the extra end - Mouat and his team winning their fourth Euros v Sweden the current Olympic champs.

I have been working a volunteer team driver for a few days - yesterday it was an utter pleasure to ferry teams back and forth from the hotel - there was a big piss up at the rink in the evening and it was wonderful to see all teams mix so well - they are all so friendly and really appreciative of the volunteers efforts.  Had a really good chat with Oskar Eriksson the Swedish third - took them back to the hotel soon after losing the final. - really nice guy who was described in the commentary as probably the best curler in the world

7 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Excellent day at the European Finals yesterday.  The mens final was as expected, unbelievably tight between Scotland and Sweden and went down to the last stone in the extra end - Mouat and his team winning their fourth Euros v Sweden the current Olympic champs.

I have been working a volunteer team driver for a few days - yesterday it was an utter pleasure to ferry teams back and forth from the hotel - there was a big piss up at the rink in the evening and it was wonderful to see all teams mix so well - they are all so friendly and really appreciative of the volunteers efforts.  Had a really good chat with Oskar Eriksson the Swedish third - took them back to the hotel soon after losing the final. - really nice guy who was described in the commentary as probably the best curler in the world

Watched the final, some record Mouat and co have at the Euros. Was a fairly straightforward draw for the win but he still has to step up and play the shot

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The decision not to take the winners at the national champs was controversial on the men’s side - but just about understandable given Team Mouat are the current world champs and Olympic silver medallists.

However, there was absolutely no reason at all not to select Team Henderson for the Worlds given that Team Morrison have little real pedigree or history of results at world level. We’re seeing that loud and clear this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Scotland in the Men's Worlds v Japan on the BBC iPlayer just now. Their 7th match, 5 wins 2 defeats,  of which so far only 3 shown and only 1 more of the remaining due to be shown. As one of the few winter games we excel in you would think all games would be shown.

Could just be me, but had not seen any advertising for the World. Championships down here.  Didn't even know it was on the iPlayer so glad I found the thread.  Might finally get to understand the rules.

Been pretty poor coverage considering the women’s tournament had some really good coverage from Canada the other week on Eurosport - felt like every night there was a game on. 

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

Could just be me, but had not seen any advertising for the World. Championships down here.  Didn't even know it was on the iPlayer so glad I found the thread.  Might finally get to understand the rules.

I actually subscribed to the curling channel for this tournament only - cost £15.  You can watch all the games there. I noticed tonight when putting some of the English fitba on (sound down as listening to the curling on my laptop.) that the Scotland v Japan game was on Discovery + too.

A really good day for Scotland with a couple of wins putting them into third place. They were toiling a little v Japan but a win of 3 in the 8th end to go 6-4 up made it a relatively comfortable finish.

The aim has to be to finish in top 2 to get into the semis directly. Sweden are undefeated but play Canada tomorrow and scotland on Friday.  Canada have one loss.

Scotland 5 Netherlands 3 leaves Scotland with 7 wins and 2 losses with 3 games left and sitting 3rd in table. Unfortunately all hard games. Switzerland (6 and 2 and 4th) at 18.00 tonight. Then Norway (4 and 5 and 7th) at 8.00 and Sweden (9 and 0 and top) tomorrow at 18.00. Swedish one is on BBC iPlayer. 

Top two automatically go to semis with 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th play offs to see with play them. Sweden and Canada (8 and 1) already through. With Germany and Italy both at 6 and 3 it's going to be very tight. Beat Switzerland and Norway will be enough but a big ask.

Wish I'd checked about the £15 for tournament offer as I'm using the iPlayer and Canadian channel TSN for games via Firestick app.