Next to go?

7 minutes ago, RateofKnots said:

Yeah, almost like they had a committee member involved at the highest level.

1 minute ago, RateofKnots said:

No. Voted onto the committee by other Brechin members.

Other clubs voting for who is in charge at Brechin would be odd.

So this committee member involved at the highest level was just a member of the Brechin committee and not on any SPFL/SFA committees that scrapped the play offs for all divisions that season? Just one man, in other words, yet was able to engineer getting the play offs scrapped, according to you.

Somebody with such clout should be in charge of Scottish football

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

So this committee member involved at the highest level was just a member of the Brechin committee and not on any SPFL/SFA committees that scrapped the play offs for all divisions that season? Just one man, in other words, yet was able to engineer getting the play offs scrapped, according to you.

Somebody with such clout should be in charge of Scottish football

But you didn't ask that. You asked who voted him onto the committee.

1 hour ago, drs said:

Amount of times each club relegated out of the SPFL finished bottom of the entire Scottish League structure -

Berwick - 3

Cowdenbeath - 7

Albion Rovers - 10

The Shire - 12

Brechin - 14

The last four funnily enough are the most amount of times clubs have finished bottom of the league so at the moment we're seeing a natural flushing of the long standing jobbies of the Scottish League (Montrose tie at 7), Berwick may feel hard done by but they appointed Harvey so got what they deserved.

We've essentially only got Stenhousemuir and Elgin left of the perennial bottom league dross* and it won't be a shock if they and Clyde are the next 3 out the door. The times they are a changing and its great for the game.

edit - * who are in the bottom league at the moment, I expect Montrose to drop like a stone once Petrie leaves and they'll also be out of the league in the next decade.

Why is finishing bottom of the SFL 50+ years ago or even 20+ years ago relevant to the current day?

1 hour ago, drs said:

I'd say they aren't - plenty of teams in the EOS and WoS who are far bigger and would offer far more to the league structure than SPFL jobbers like East Fife and Stenhousemuir. An SPFL Talbot, Linlithgow and indeed EK would offer a far more intense challenge to the historical quirk teams than the likes of Bonnyrigg.

In what way would these clubs offer *more* than Stenhousemuir or East Fife? It's fair to put the likes of Auchinleck and Linlithgow on even footing with those two as clubs which represent towns and do a lot of work in their local communities, but why would they be better?

East Kilbride have almost no support and a rubbish stadium, just being from a big town isn't enough.

14 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

Over confidence maybe.

I'm not sure anyone was boasting about East Stirling or Cowden, and many thought Brechin should go down for the cowardly way their committee engineered avoiding a play off. 

Albion got 39 points this year, had probably the Stand out player from the league and most thought (myself included) they would have enough.

They came up just short, and I congratulate Spartans for the achievement.

However, as Rose found out, it can be a tough gig. And just as you suggest that SPFL2 sides may be overconfident about winning play offs, Pyramid winners will eventually fall back, such is the law of averages.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that Brechin's committee introduced covid to Scotland and then lobbied the government for an 8 month ban on any football outside the top flight being played.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that Brechin's committee introduced covid to Scotland and then lobbied the government for an 8 month ban on any football outside the top flight being played.

No. Its not. The previous committee were devious in the extreme.

2 hours ago, drs said:

I'd say they aren't - plenty of teams in the EOS and WoS who are far bigger and would offer far more to the league structure than SPFL jobbers like East Fife and Stenhousemuir. An SPFL Talbot, Linlithgow and indeed EK would offer a far more intense challenge to the historical quirk teams than the likes of Bonnyrigg.

East Kilbride? Another nothing team propped up with money. Take the money away and there's nothing there.

This thread reminds me of the old pre pyramid days when junior team fans would occasionally descend on the league two forum to say that literally any non league side were better than league Two/ 3rd Division sides. It's a kind of ingrained siege mentality in some non league fans that they're convinced that the SPFL is shite and non league is somehow superior both on and off the park.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

There were no play offs in any division that season, so obviously every second bottom team's board of directors/management committee also engineered avoiding a play off in a cowardly way.

Brechin didn’t engineer anything - they had one vote out of 42

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Why is finishing bottom of the SFL 50+ years ago or even 20+ years ago relevant to the current day?

None whatsoever, of course.

49 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

East Kilbride? Another nothing team propped up with money. Take the money away and there's nothing there.

In fairness, East Kilbride is the biggest town in Scotland never to have had a team in the top flight. There is definitely potential, although the question is if they are able to realise that potential.