Queen’s Park 21/22

The who is paying who isn’t really relevant. We’re paying, I’d imagine, handsome wages for a guy who came from the Dutch top flight. Other clubs aren’t doing that, so we can’t be comparing ourselves financially.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

The who is paying who isn’t really relevant. We’re paying, I’d imagine, handsome wages for a guy who came from the Dutch top flight. Other clubs aren’t doing that, so we can’t be comparing ourselves financially.

The point I'm making is Queens are following the template I understood to be normal, at least they are for now.

I was talking about pro-youth level, youth teams affiliated to the main club. Coaches at all levels from about under 13 to 19 were coached by qualified amateurs overseen by the senior club management. Sometimes a senior player helped out.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The point I'm making is Queens are following the template I understood to be normal, at least they are for now.

I was talking about pro-youth level, youth teams affiliated to the main club. Coaches at all levels from about under 13 to 19 were coached by qualified amateurs overseen by the senior club management. Sometimes a senior player helped out.

It may be the model, but it doesn’t make it the right one. We are in the position to employ coaches. We shouldn’t be asking anyone to provide expertise to players for free.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

It may be the model, but it doesn’t make it the right one. We are in the position to employ coaches. We shouldn’t be asking anyone to provide expertise to players for free.

And I am not disputing that. I was just pointing out they would be in the minority if they do. I actually said it's a liberty.

A lot of club's volunteers also run for banks and other genuine community benefit projects.

However, it mostly amounts to window dressing. When Pro clubs say community involvement they mean extract money from the community, that includes kids paying dues towards the running of their teams and coaches working for free.

I know Queen's have paid the fees for our youth coaches to go through their various badges, a few up to UEFA A license level, so the coaches do get a benefit in kind out of their efforts.

No idea about the community side of things though.

On 15/02/2022 at 10:40, Bring Your Own Socks said:

There's four with seats plus two at the back for standing. The height of the roof and the extensions either side make it look impressive but the actual seating layout won't be much better than the gazebo at Alloa.

The workmen seem to have switched over to the west side of Lesser since the metal frame went up on the east side.

There's been some work in the dressing room area below the pavilion, and it looked today like they were demolishing the concrete terracing on the west side which had been poured by the original contractors 18 months ago.

23 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Very few out side the Academy type clubs will have paid staff looking after youth teams. Even then I think there'll be a couple of professionals overseeing qualified volunteers.

It is a bit of a liberty but it's the way it is.

The incentive, I would think, is that if they're any good, they might get offered a job. Having the coaching badges means that you've done the course but you might not be any good. Even I could probably rack up some badges but I would probably be as pish at training kids as I was at playing the game. And that was very pish.

Some guys who've coached at QP youth level in the past have gone on to decent jobs - Craig Mulholland and David McCallum are prime examples.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

1 hour ago, JT1867 said:

I know Queen's have paid the fees for our youth coaches to go through their various badges, a few up to UEFA A license level, so the coaches do get a benefit in kind out of their efforts.

No idea about the community side of things though.

I have known that to happen tbf, but not for all, usually hand picked "company men."

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I have known that to happen tbf, but not for all, usually hand picked "company men."

It was done for any of our coaches and the club supported them as far as they wanted to go with their badges.

2 hours ago, JT1867 said:

The workmen seem to have switched over to the west side of Lesser since the metal frame went up on the east side.

There's been some work in the dressing room area below the pavilion, and it looked today like they were demolishing the concrete terracing on the west side which had been poured by the original contractors 18 months ago.

Makes sense. The work done was to support chairs. New stand is a steel frame with a much bigger roof. 

9 hours ago, Dooflick said:

What makes you think that? A few examples please. Sergeant Wilson has explained what he knows, now you tell us how you know better than him.

All teams within the academy Scotland elite or performance tier pay there pro youth coaches from under 11s upwards to under 18s pretty sure it was part of project brave. There’s numerous jobs online just now for Dundee Utd and st mirren at the moment of various age group positions all paid roles according to the advert?

4 minutes ago, QP145 said:

All teams within the academy Scotland elite or performance tier pay there pro youth coaches from under 11s upwards to under 18s pretty sure it was part of project brave. There’s numerous jobs online just now for Dundee Utd and st mirren at the moment of various age group positions all paid roles according to the advert?

I specifically said very few outside academy clubs.

Since the introduction of Academies, it might be a requirement to pay coaches in those elite clubs. The majority of club's are not included in that.

12 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The incentive, I would think, is that if they're any good, they might get offered a job. Having the coaching badges means that you've done the course but you might not be any good. Even I could probably rack up some badges but I would probably be as pish at training kids as I was at playing the game. And that was very pish.

Some guys who've coached at QP youth level in the past have gone on to decent jobs - Craig Mulholland and David McCallum are prime examples.

You don’t know anyone is going to be any good until they’re doing a job, though. The “incentive” unpaid trial shift is the oldest trick in the book. Give a waiter a weekend trial, give them their dinner, and then “Money’s a bit tight. Can’t afford to take you on.” The employer gets the labour they needed, the worker gets nothing to help them pay the bills. Just pay people if you want to use their skills and qualifications.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

You don’t know anyone is going to be any good until they’re doing a job, though. The “incentive” unpaid trial shift is the oldest trick in the book. Give a waiter a weekend trial, give them their dinner, and then “Money’s a bit tight. Can’t afford to take you on.” The employer gets the labour they needed, the worker gets nothing to help them pay the bills. Just pay people if you want to use their skills and qualifications.

So what you are saying, is pay them, and if they are no good sack them, even if they have only worked for a day. 

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

So what you are saying, is pay them, and if they are no good sack them, even if they have only worked for a day. 

No, what I am saying is employ qualified people in a normal manner, as happens in most sectors. If you’re sacking someone after a day, you’re probably not very good at recruitment or management, or would have to have a pretty extraordinary reason for doing so.

No, what I am saying is employ qualified people in a normal manner, as happens in most sectors. If you’re sacking someone after a day, you’re probably not very good at recruitment or management, or would have to have a pretty extraordinary reason for doing so.

I can’t profess to know enough about what you seem to have got a bee in your bonnet about.
Are you sure these people are not remunerated.
Have you asked the people who can do anything about it.
Are you personally affected.
If not the money has to come from somewhere. Will you pay an extra pound on admission next year, or forego a goal scoring striker?