Food/Drink That You Can No Longer Buy

Outrageous. Pretty sure that Club biscuits had also shrunk last time I checked. Perhaps we just need to eat more.

This is reminding me of a letter sent in to a newspaper (reprinted in Private Eye) where the writer was moaning about the decline in acidity of the modern lemons he used in his gin & tonics. The solution he'd discovered was to add more gin which, frankly, is probably a useful solution to the biscuits/Big Mac problem, and any other too.

32 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Outrageous. Pretty sure that Club biscuits had also shrunk last time I checked. Perhaps we just need to eat more.

This is reminding me of a letter sent in to a newspaper (reprinted in Private Eye) where the writer was moaning about the decline in acidity of the modern lemons he used in his gin & tonics. The solution he'd discovered was to add more gin which, frankly, is probably a useful solution to the biscuits/Big Mac problem, and any other too.

My gran used to drink gin and bitter lemon, which was usually too bitter for her. Rather than adjust the amount of bitter lemon she used, she would continue to use the same amount of mixer, but just top the gin up to taste.

18 hours ago, hk blues said:

We used to get them from the Ice Cream van, would've been around the mid 1970s.  As you say, a poor man's Fry's Cream - the chocolate wouldn't melt and the filling was tasteless.  Cheap though. 

Memory could be playing tricks but an MB bar was stuck in a slider was it called a Lochee? Or was a Lochee a 99 but using a mallow cone? Was

Just now, Eednud said:

Memory could be playing tricks but an MB bar was stuck in a slider was it called a Lochee? Or was a Lochee a 99 but using a mallow cone? Was

Maybe a local thing?  I was brought up in Ardler so  a wee bit more sophisticated! 

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

As an aside, I hate how Americans pronounce 'lager'.

The one that always grated with me is the way they pronounce "pasta" but it turns out they just adopted the correct pronunciation from immigrants over 100 years ago and it stuck, whereas the "correct" pronunciation's changed since.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Maybe a local thing?  I was brought up in Ardler so  a wee bit more sophisticated! 

I remember Ardler when it was Blackshade and prefabs. Linlathen for me.

image.jpeg.f3b96a19f65d0c7c7a253421689ab0ad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.069e18687143721f675a4f8faee223ba.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The one that always grated with me is the way they pronounce "pasta" but it turns out they just adopted the correct pronunciation from immigrants over 100 years ago and it stuck, whereas the "correct" pronunciation's changed since.

More irritating is that they call each individual piece of pasta a 'noodle'.

17 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's only perception at this stage but i'm sure someone on the net will have researched it. It would be weird to not think that, say, club biscuits or cans of juice had got equally smaller and single out Wagon wheels. 

I'll do some research and get back to you. 

From the Daily Mirror, so practically a peer reviewed journal:

Are-Chocolate-Bars-Getting-Smaller.thumb.jpg.53ae03357e64a8a20607ece265fd17ac.jpg

Pretty sure Gregg Wallace disproved this on his grinning-gimp-factory programme that he hosts.

Greg Wallace GIF - GregWallace - Discover & Share GIFs

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

A brilliant advert, fantastic biscuit and a John Peel voiceover.

You can still get Trios. Not sure if they’ve only recently made a comeback but I picked up some at my local Co-op the other week. They were a fine accompaniment to a cup of tea.