G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

This does seem a little selective. You’ve limited the analysis of Feyenoord’s attacking prowess in the first half based on the number of shots on target they had (they had the same amount as Celtic and more shots overall) but used Celtic getting into really good positions while neglecting to mention the same for Feyenoord.

The first half was relatively even, then Celtic collapsed.

No I just genuinely can’t recall any moments in the first half where they got in behind, forced a mistake or looked particularly dangerous. There was the AJ/Maeda who wants it who doesn’t moment that fizzled out but apart from that I’m struggling 

9 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

No I just genuinely can’t recall any moments in the first half where they got in behind, forced a mistake or looked particularly dangerous. There was the AJ/Maeda who wants it who doesn’t moment that fizzled out but apart from that I’m struggling 

Well, that’s kind of my point. That instance effectively left Feyenoord with a 5 v 4 at the back and took a last ditch block from Lagerbielke (IIRC) to stop the shot on target when the boy should’ve passed it. You never considered that a good position but considered Palma failing to beat a man as a good one?

I’m by no means saying Feyenoord were better, I think it was an even first half. But reading your first half analysis you’d think Celtic battered them.

Edited by AJF

6 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

With how well we have done financially we should be buying players ready to compete at this level not projects who might get there in a season or 2’s time. We clearly have the cash.

I've no time for Celtic or indeed the influence of daft money in football. Celtic made an operating profit before tax of £40m to June 2023. Nottingham Forest signed 20+ players last summer, including one where the deal is worth up to £42m. 

Forest spent £42m on one player for the sole purpose of finishing 17th in their league.

By what measure can Celtic expect to make signings which will enable them to compete at Champions League group stage or knockout level? 

Aye, they'll continue to outspend the rest by bringing in £3m duds but, apart from finding the odd diamond in the dirt (as they've done), that's about as far as they can go. 

They, along with the rest of us in Scottish football, are fucked at European level unless they can enjoy the trappings of a small gulf state buying them.

Then they can pretend that whatever progress they make is all down to them having a brilliant set of supporters. It seems to be working in places not too far away who had won f**k all for decades and are now "giants" of the game.

29 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well, that’s kind of my point. That instance effectively left Feyenoord with a 5 v 4 at the back and took a last ditch block from Lagerbielke (IIRC) to stop the shot on target when the boy should’ve passed it. You never considered that a good position but considered Palma failing to beat a man as a good one?

I’m by no means saying Feyenoord were better, I think it was an even first half. But reading your first half analysis you’d think Celtic battered them.

You seem to be blowing this up into something much more than it actually is mate. You disagree, cool 

The fundamental point I was trying to make is this was an opportunity missed, that’s it 

Edited by Jinky67

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You seem to be blowing this up into something much more than it actually is mate. You disagree, cool 

The fundamental point I was trying to make is this was an opportunity missed, that’s it 

Not particularly, I just thought your first half analysis was a bit selective and gave my reasons why.

I totally agree it was a missed opportunity given the game was finely balanced.

2 hours ago, Ooooft. said:

Does anyone else get the impression that Hatate is missing Ange? I have no evidence of this of course. He just doesn’t look as happy.

If I was taking a guess I'd say he wanted to leave in the summer and wasn't allowed to.

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

This is nonsense as last year he was good at that level even against Madrid it was the majority of the rest of the team that let him down. A few months ago he was also ripping the pish against Spain for Scotland. Not sure whats happened this season though with him, Ive seen him put in as many questionable games in this short season than I think I have the past 5 years.

You obviously  watch him more than me so I respect your opinion.

I disagree though - if he was as you suggest regularly lording it versus the top European and National sides then there’s now way he’d still be at Celtic. It’s as simple as that.

36 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You obviously  watch him more than me so I respect your opinion.

I disagree though - if he was as you suggest regularly lording it versus the top European and National sides then there’s now way he’d still be at Celtic. It’s as simple as that.

It really isn't, Armstrong was decent for us but was never a patch on McGregor really yet he got a move to a top league. He's been approached before as he admitted Rodgers tried to get him at Leicester. I'm not saying he would lord it up either you just said he was 'always pish at that level' which basically wasn't true. 

Edited by gannonball

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It really isn't, Armstrong was decent for us but was never a patch on McGregor really yet he got a move to a top league. He's been approached before as he admitted Rodgers tried to get him at Leicester. I'm not saying he would lord it up either you just said he was 'always pish at that level' which basically wasn't true. 

So the top players don’t play in either the best or richest leagues ? Interesting take.

Rodgers spent £32m on Tielmans whilst at Leicester- I’m sure if the fabled approach for Wee McGregor had actually happened he’d have been playing for Leicester.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

4 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

Itake it you think Lewis Ferguson will become a better player just because he plays in Italy?
Plus Calmac can't because he plays for Celtc?

Yes, I think players potential ability level increases when playing with and against better teams and players. 

If you and Gannonballs disagree then you are entitled to your view.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yes, I think players potential ability level increases when playing with and against better teams and players. 

If you and Gannonballs disagree then you are entitled to your view.

My point and Gannonballs is Calmac doesn't look out of place playing for Scotland with EPL players all around him,to say he has to leave Scotland to improve is nonsense wee man.

50 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tbf to Zorro I don't think the idea he's not moved means he's not good enough. I definitely don't think he would make it at a top prem club but he could have probably done alright at some middle tier prem team. He's certainly off this season for celtc though which like most issues you're having I'd guess is down to the change of style.

27 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Well we will never know as he never has and never will get the opportunity big man.

With all due respect I will take McGregor's word over whether he was approached over yours tbh.

ETA- In fact I'm pretty sure I have pulled you up about this his before. Bit of strange thing to be lying about tbh.

Edited by gannonball

22 minutes ago, gannonball said:

With all due respect I will take McGregor's word over whether he was approached over yours tbh.

ETA- In fact I'm pretty sure I have pulled you up about this his before. Bit of strange thing to be lying about tbh.

If an official bid was made then apologies - I genuinely didn’t know that.

31 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Tbf to Zorro I don't think the idea he's not moved means he's not good enough. I definitely don't think he would make it at a top prem club but he could have probably done alright at some middle tier prem team. He's certainly off this season for celtc though which like most issues you're having I'd guess is down to the change of style.

That's a fair enough point. If it was someone like Forrest I would have no issue really as his inconsistency and not kicking meant he would have little  interest from further afield. McGregor is a bit different though, wasn't seen as the next big thing and has quietly got better year on year pretty much throughout his career. 

9 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but their first goal the free kick went through the space where their two players had been ?

Crossed my mind last night, should the goal have been disallowed? Feyenoord players were within one metre of the wall.