G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Ah right enough 3 points off 4th, regardless I think it’s fair to say they are a better team now and deservedly beat us but I never had them down as the sort of level of team the **** claimed them to be.

Leipzig finished fourth in the Bundesliga last season and made it to the semi-final of a European competition. Does that equate to much difference between them then and now?

I've just enjoyed the changing in opinions from Celtic fans on this (not just here, more so on twitter) where they had Leipzig down as a diddy team in May when we put them out. We then got a doubling down of this in August when the CL draw was made - they had to claim that 2nd place was achievable after branding them diddies just 3 months prior. And now, just a couple of months later we are being told they are a very good team 🤣

Rangers fans will always claim Leipzig were a good team as it adds more weight to our Europe League run. Celtic fans will always claim they were diddies as it takes away credit from our Europa league run. I get that, now it's just funny that the opinions have changed after your meetings with them.

Celtic got a very kind draw here. Unless you get the Europa league winners then you will always get a super team as top seed but then arguably they got the pick of the 2nd seed teams (RB Leipzig) and due to the really unfortunate situation domestically for Shaktar, in footballing terms they were arguably the best 3rd seed considering Napoli, Benfica and Inter Milan were other options.

After the 1st round to be saying Celtic were in every game, creating chances and doing well is kind of fair enough but still saying that after the 6th game means they were not learning. Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition if insanity, a bit strong I know, I don't think Ange is insane, he's clearly a good manager. But every single manager apart from maybe Pep will adapt different tactics depending on opponents, it is not a sign or weakness, in fact it is the opposite, to not adapt should be more of a concern for Celtic at this level but Celtic fans seem to be happy and telling every one they were content with their showing so that is fair enough and it is their opinion that counts.

The reality is though they were the 3rd worst team in the whole competition this year, I wonder how many other teams who finished bottom were satisfied with finishing there?

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Ah right enough 3 points off 4th, regardless I think it’s fair to say they are a better team now and deservedly beat us but I never had them down as the sort of level of team the **** claimed them to be.

The Orcs (I don't use the h word as I consider it to be just as sectarian in intent and usage as the t word which doubtless offends you greatly) have been so shite this season I'd forgotten how unexpectedly good they were last year. Any Scottish (using the term loosely) team knocking a German side out of Europe is a very decent achievement, and they did it twice last season. So the Orcish hordes were actually closer to being non-delusional than ever before for a brief spell.

Edited by Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

It took Neil Lennon 3 seasons to start getting it right in Europe so to post something like that without actually knowing that beforehand is why none of us take you for much more than a moonhowler.

My head's in a spin trying to keep up with the 'Celtic family's' take on Mr Lennon.  Use to be that the mildest bit of criticism of Neil would lead you to be accused of being a hysterical anti-Catholic bigot who had such a problem with Irish people that you'd throw your daughter down the stairs (providing you didn't live in a bungalow) if she brought home someone called Seamus. Now if you try and send a little compliment or two Mr Lennon's way you're a 'moonhowler'. Come on bhoys , a wee bit of consistency please. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It also took Neil Lennon 3 seasons to be knocked out of European Competitions 4 times. Something that Postecoglu (or Ange to you) has managed in 1.25 seasons.

Mate you believed going out of the qualifiers somehow is better than playing group stage football so excuse me if take any opinion you have on the subject with a considerable pinch of salt.

Edited by Jinky67

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Leipzig finished fourth in the Bundesliga last season and made it to the semi-final of a European competition. Does that equate to much difference between them then and now?

I've just enjoyed the changing in opinions from Celtic fans on this (not just here, more so on twitter) where they had Leipzig down as a diddy team in May when we put them out. We then got a doubling down of this in August when the CL draw was made - they had to claim that 2nd place was achievable after branding them diddies just 3 months prior. And now, just a couple of months later we are being told they are a very good team 🤣

Rangers fans will always claim Leipzig were a good team as it adds more weight to our Europe League run. Celtic fans will always claim they were diddies as it takes away credit from our Europa league run. I get that, now it's just funny that the opinions have changed after your meetings with them.

Nothing stays the same in football for very long though teams drop off significantly as you are well aware and we see with Liverpool as well and some improve significantly, add to that the fickle opinion of fans and there is much banter to be had

31 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

My head's in a spin trying to keep up with the 'Celtic family's' take on Mr Lennon.  Use to be that the mildest bit of criticism of Neil would lead you to be accused of being a hysterical anti-Catholic bigot who had such a problem with Irish people that you'd throw your daughter down the stairs (providing you didn't live in a bungalow) if she brought home someone called Seamus. Now if you try and send a little compliment or two Mr Lennon's way you're a 'moonhowler'. Come on bhoys , a wee bit of consistency please. 

They didn't win any out of 6, that's fairly consistent.

21 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Nothing stays the same in football for very long though teams drop off significantly as you are well aware and we see with Liverpool as well and some improve significantly, add to that the fickle opinion of fans and there is much banter to be had

So, that was kind of my point. Celtic fans seem to believe that Leipzig have improved significantly from a 4th placed finish and a European semi-final last season just because it suits them.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

So, that was kind of my point. Celtic fans seem to believe that Leipzig have improved significantly from a 4th placed finish and a European semi-final last season just because it suits them.

They haven’t improved significantly but I do think they have a better manager now. Rangers* also played them at a time where they were fighting to secure Champions League qualification which was probably their priority at the time as it is for most  teams in the top leagues in that bracket. Despite being convincingly beaten by them though I don’t think they are a ‘top’ European side at all. 

Edited by gannonball

30 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don’t think it suits us, they were and still are a beatable team imo, we didn’t and you can pick the bones of that for what it’s worth.

There are 3 key games in this campaign where we should reflect on why we failed to come away without a win, the match at home against RB being one of those and predominantly it comes down to not doing something Rangers did do very well last season and take their chances

Edited by Jinky67

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Why are you bringing bigotry in to it given absolutely no one had brought it up at all? Ask yourself that and frankly your rather weird obsession over it.

Why are you bringing bigotry in to it given absolutely no one had brought it up at all? Ask yourself that and frankly your rather weird obsession over it.
You only have to watch 5 minutes of any celtic....or the other mobs.....game to see and hear the bigotry. One reason why all right minded observers detest the OF.
HTH etc....

4 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m pretty sure they were 6th after the last round of fixtures but I could be wrong ? However in their next 3 games, they play 3 teams in the top 8 which will influence their current position very positively if they win them.

they are currently 6th having recovered from a slow start

they were 11th when they met Celtic but have since kicked into gear and have 11 points from the last five, only Bayern have more

so you can spin it two ways, either Celtic played a team finishing a bad run or a team at the start of a good run

Of course at the time you could only look at the previous form so it looked like a significantly better giant killing opportunity than it was

12 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

You only have to watch 5 minutes of any celtic....or the other mobs.....game to see and hear the bigotry. One reason why all right minded observers detest the OF.
HTH etc....

I have found regardless of intolerance if you are constantly bringing it up and also trivialising it (which he was) then generally you are poorly masking your own feelings against a particular group be that sexual orientation ,religion, race etc. It’s generally a red a flag for me.

Edited by gannonball

48 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Glad to hear it pal. So might want to suggest your mate Postecoglu (Ange to you), gets the once over.

He looks like he’s carrying a fair bit of timber.

Not my place mate, like I said I don’t know Ange personally however I’ll reserve the right to use his first name more often than I would normally…..just cause I know you like it

Edited by Jinky67