Lowland League 2021-22 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Every team in the LL could have applied to join the SFL when Gretna went bust, I don't know what that has to do with anything here.

The Lowland League have nuked every remaining piece of credibility they once had over the last 18 months or so, and I cannot wait to get my grave dancing shoes out when the likes of Vale of Leithen, Gretna, Edusport, Broomhill and East Kilbride eventually plunge to their natural level in the next few years.

Yo do know that Gretna went bust in 2008, 5 years before the inception of the LL.

Just now, Pyramid Watcher said:

What are you basing your claim on?

If the games were played. The make up of the Lowland League 2021-22 would be different.

That's not ifs and buts over who would have applied and when. Just playing games. Which is what football is all about.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If the games were played. The make up of the Lowland League 2021-22 would be different.

That's not ifs and buts over who would have applied and when. Just playing games. Which is what football is all about.

You are presenting a scenario that just wasn’t possible. At best you would have had 1 or 2 EoS teams in, but the overall claim that a lot of clubs are in a false position is not correct, albeit that point was raised by another poster.

I’m not sure you can say they are falsely playing at a higher level. These teams took the opportunity to play in the league when it was presented to them, it’s not their fault that others didn’t.

They did, and I commend them for that but they are being falsely held at that level through votes that are clearly against the good of the game.

A lot of these teams were voting in essence for something they already had. Similar opponents etc, it was a huge decision for the juniors to make imo. It was never going to be made quickly.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Every team in the LL could have applied to join the SFL when Gretna went bust, I don't know what that has to do with anything here.

The Lowland League have nuked every remaining piece of credibility they once had over the last 18 months or so, and I cannot wait to get my grave dancing shoes out when the likes of Vale of Leithen, Gretna, Edusport, Broomhill and East Kilbride eventually plunge to their natural level in the next few years.

There wasn't a LL when Gretna went bust, but on you crack.  And don't take things so seriously, it's only a game of fitbaw.....

7 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

They did, and I commend them for that but they are being falsely held at that level through votes that are clearly against the good of the game.

A lot of these teams were voting in essence for something they already had. Similar opponents etc, it was a huge decision for the juniors to make imo. It was never going to be made quickly.

I seem to remember that Tom Johnstone was quite scathing with his views on the newly formed LL at the time.

Just now, Pyramid Watcher said:

You are presenting a scenario that just wasn’t possible. At best you would have had 1 or 2 EoS teams in, but the overall claim that a lot of clubs are in a false position is not correct, albeit that point was raised by another poster.

2019-20: Brechin would probably be Club 42 and Bo'ness United Tier 6 Champion.

Bonnyrigg/VoL/Gretna 2008/Edinburgh Unversity/Dalbeattie have the potential to be in a different league for the 2020-21.

2020-21: A WoSFL or EoSFL team wins promotion to the LL 2021-22. Club 42 could have been relegated to the LL for 2021-22. Maybe a HL team wins promotion in that instance and force two LL team relegations.

There's the possibility of the 16 votting members of this season's Lowland League 3+ could have been different. For a vote that goes 9-7 that's significant.

I seem to remember that Tom Johnstone was quite scathing with his views on the newly formed LL at the time.

Yeah he was a big reason it didn’t happen.

He’s gone now though and we are all trying our best to play in a new world without the glass ceiling. Oh wait…..

I think it’s probably time for some collective pressure on the LL teams given the stalemate. Boycotting all cup away games VS LL teams would be a great start.

6 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Yeah he was a big reason it didn’t happen.

He’s gone now though and we are all trying our best to play in a new world without the glass ceiling. Oh wait…..

I think it’s probably time for some collective pressure on the LL teams given the stalemate. Boycotting all cup away games VS LL teams would be a great start.

The LL have been pressuring the SPFL for a while now, but the bottom line is their members don’t want it, and that has led to the same mindset beneath them.

4 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Possibly, but there's also the chance they view more teams following them from tier 6 being a potential challenge to them winning the league themselves. Most clubs will revert to self-interest (which is understandable), I suppose it depends on what they view as being best for them, rather than the overall concept and reputation of a league they have only just become members of themselves

The completion of the Pyramid with automatic promotions and relegations is vital for its credibility. The SFA needs to take charge and sort this out - there's no excuse for doing nothing effective any more.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The Lowland League have cover in the Highland League. It's kind of hard to force anything on them when they technically have a better format than the Highland League.

If it is 9-7 I doubt it will last long for a change. If the Tier 6 leagues put pressure on them between now and the AGM. Maybe it could be put on the AGM agenda for another vote. As by the time the AGM rolls around there will have been some changes.

I hope so.

1 hour ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Yo do know that Gretna went bust in 2008, 5 years before the inception of the LL.

The clubs still existed though.

1 hour ago, Kirk St Moritz said:

There wasn't a LL when Gretna went bust, but on you crack.  And don't take things so seriously, it's only a game of fitbaw.....

There wasn't a WOSFL when the Lowland League was formed, but that didn't stop you from posting this:

2 hours ago, Kirk St Moritz said:

Ironically every team in the WOSFL could have applied to be a proper Tier 5 several years ago, but opted not to.

Saw some tweets about both the SPFL and LL needing to change at the same time. Well good luck getting the SPFL to change at the moment, and if the LL doesn't go first it just means the status quo continues! Meanwhile the make up of the LL will change - with at least one new team going up into the league each season - albeit much slower than if there was more relegation.

As much as it would be great for Bonnyrigg to get promoted, for the sake of the pyramid what needs to happen is for the Highland League winner to beat Cowdenbeath. That way you get rid of Gretna and VOL (must assume they voted against more relegation).

Perhaps there could be a another vote at the upcoming AGM - which is usually after the play-offs - which might succeed if the membership changes with two down...?

This probably isn't any real surprise, the LL had already pissed their credibility against the wall last year, any left has now gone with this self-interested vote.  Wouldn't surprise me if they break out the cigars and vote the B teams back just for the bantz.

The absolute bear face hypocrisy of complaining about no automatic promotion to the SPFL whilst at the same time sticking their fingers up to the 130+ clubs sitting below them seems to be completely lost on them.  Ventilation, ventilation they cry, it's complete bollocks.

The Lowland League is now bad for the Pyramid. It restricts and suffocates progress. The ventilation they desire only emits from their arse. 

The SPFL should not even consider any further promotion opportunities until the LL get their own house in order, and that is three up and three down.  We might be waiting a while.

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

As much as it would be great for Bonnyrigg to get promoted, for the sake of the pyramid what needs to happen is for the Highland League winner to beat Cowdenbeath. That way you get rid of Gretna and VOL (must assume they voted against more relegation).

Here's hoping, as much as I'm sure Bonnyrigg would have voted for an increase and therefore one of the good guys.

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

This probably isn't any real surprise, the LL had already pissed their credibility against the wall last year, any left has now gone with this self-interested vote.  Wouldn't surprise me if they break out the cigars and vote the B teams back just for the bantz.

The absolute bear face hypocrisy of complaining about no automatic promotion to the SPFL whilst at the same time sticking their fingers up to the 130+ clubs sitting below them seems to be completely lost on them.  Ventilation, ventilation they cry, it's complete bollocks.

The Lowland League is now bad for the Pyramid. It restricts and suffocates progress. The ventilation they desire only emits from their arse. 

The SPFL should not even consider any further promotion opportunities until the LL get their own house in order, and that is three up and three down.  We might be waiting a while.

Agree with all of this, except the number of places. 2 up and down would be ample.