Lowland League 2021-22 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

7 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I’ve been told this morning that there will be no change, and will remain as is . Vote was 9-7.

I assume that's on relegation? No huge shock. Encouraging that it was that close though.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I assume that's on relegation? No huge shock. Encouraging that it was that close though.

Yes, apparently didn’t get by the first vote and get to the choices listed above. You are right though, closer than I thought it would be.

1 minute ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Turkeys aren’t going to vote for Xmas, much the same as the SPFL clubs won’t vote for automatic relegation from Div 2

There's a difference though. The SPFL clubs are full of fear due to the money they get.

There's no difference between the LL and lower leagues. This is more like the the WoS Premier and EoS Premier clubs restricting promotion and relegation.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's a difference though. The SPFL clubs are full of fear due to the money they get.

There's no difference between the LL and lower leagues. This is more like the the WoS Premier and EoS Premier clubs restricting promotion and relegation.

Not sure I agree, if you drop out of the LL now there is a very real chance you won’t get back for a long time.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

And? What does being in the LL get you that the WoSFL, EoSFL, SoSFL doesn't?

Other than guaranteed entry to the first round of the Scottish, and potentially entry to the Challenge Cup (for a very select few at the top) no very much. But that guaranteed first round entry is a pretty big carrot at that level.

8 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Not sure I agree, if you drop out of the LL now there is a very real chance you won’t get back for a long time.

Two of the 9 were probably VoL and Gretna. Repeat this vote three years or so from now (as will no doubt happen) and it should finally go the right way as more former junior clubs work their way in.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Two of the 9 were probably VoL and Gretna. Repeat this vote three years or so from now (as will no doubt happen) and it should finally go the right way as more former junior clubs work their way in.

Possibly, but there's also the chance they view more teams following them from tier 6 being a potential challenge to them winning the league themselves. Most clubs will revert to self-interest (which is understandable), I suppose it depends on what they view as being best for them, rather than the overall concept and reputation of a league they have only just become members of themselves

20 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

And? What does being in the LL get you that the WoSFL, EoSFL, SoSFL doesn't?

It’s not necessarily about what it gets you, a lot of it will come down to the wish to be in a tier higher, and perhaps they will see it as failure to go down.

1 hour ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Other than guaranteed entry to the first round of the Scottish, and potentially entry to the Challenge Cup (for a very select few at the top) no very much. But that guaranteed first round entry is a pretty big carrot at that level.

They would still get Scottish Cup entry.

6 minutes ago, glensmad said:

They would still get Scottish Cup entry.

Oh I know that, but they'd potentially enter at the prelim round, rather than the First. It's not necessarily a big deal, was just listing off the differences  😂

Edited by Craig the Hunter

2 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I’ve been told this morning that there will be no change, and will remain as is . Vote was 9-7.

That's incredibly poor. The LL are canvassing for more places to League 2 and yet they can't open up their own league 

51 minutes ago, edinabear said:

That's incredibly poor. The LL are canvassing for more places to League 2 and yet they can't open up their own league 

Therein lies the problem, they are in a stalemate situation, the LL won’t do anything until the SPFL open up.

2 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Therein lies the problem, they are in a stalemate situation, the LL won’t do anything until the SPFL open up.

Time will tell. If 5 to 10 years down the road Bo'ness United get relegated the current format would be problematic in terms of bouncing back because of needing to playoff against the WoS champion. Near automatic promotion for the EoS and WoS champions on the other hand wouldn't be anything like as daunting so clubs that know they have a shot at being tier 5 long term but might sometimes go down have an incentive to make the path back reasonably straightfoward. The problem right now is there are a lot of clubs in the LL that know they will be the next Whitehill Welfare after getting relegated and will wind up long term in tier 7 or below, so they want to prolong their stay as long as possible.