Illusory Superiority on P&B

Illusory Superiority on P&B  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I remember an article at the end of 1990 which said if you'd had a £1 accumulator on Douglas to beat Tyson, Scotland to win the Grand Slam, Mr Frisk to win the National, Suaramez for the Arc and a couple of other unlikely but not unimaginable results, you'd have been into Bill Gates territory.

ETA: The reason I remember this (or mostly, at least) is that, shortly after absolutely raping the local bookies (11/4? at thome? Yes, please!)and most of my regulars in the Imperial (twenty points start? Go on then..)who thought England just had to turn up at Murrayfield, I managed to back (at 33s, S.P.28/1 I believe) the National winner for the last time before Tiger Roll in 2018. 

Except don't most bookies cap pay outs to a million? So going beyond that is daft.

39 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

And obviously the biggest area of that when you're young is talking to girls. I was dreadful, terrified of rejection.

Now I'm married i reckon I'd be fucking brilliant on the dating scene. Confident without being a dick - that's the key.

It’s an easy game from the stands

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Much less if it strays outside the big dogs like horse racing and football etc IIRC.

They'd surely let you roll all your winnings over onto 10+ events which seem obvious after they've already taken place at astronomical odds?

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Much less if it strays outside the big dogs like horse racing and football etc IIRC.

Yeh I think league football has the highest payout but they really aren't keen on paying out huge wedges for niche stuff. Which kind of makes sense, I wonder if we could get odds on the P&B chess league.

Thinking of the smartest people I know, a few spring to mind. One I went to school with, he went to uni but didn't really want the academic life. He instead became a travel photographer and a disability officer at a university down south. In any arguments or school subjects, he was always well ahead of me. Another school friend who was academically better than me went on to become a divorce lawyer for "high value clients".

The smartest of the lot though is the father-in-law of a Danish ex-Celtic footballer. We did some work together from ~2001 to 2005. It started when he came over to stay with the family but wanted to keep working as well whilst he was over for an extended stay. He met my PhD supervisor - they worked in similar areas - and we started working form there. His use of statistics was miles beyond what I thought was possible, and together we published a handful of papers that, even today, I'm still really pleased with. I remember going through to meet him at his daughter's house and having a then-International footballer making tea and coffee for us. That was weird.

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Thinking of the smartest people I know, a few spring to mind. One I went to school with, he went to uni but didn't really want the academic life. He instead became a travel photographer and a disability officer at a university down south. In any arguments or school subjects, he was always well ahead of me. Another school friend who was academically better than me went on to become a divorce lawyer for "high value clients".

The smartest of the lot though is the father-in-law of a Danish ex-Celtic footballer. We did some work together from ~2001 to 2005. It started when he came over to stay with the family but wanted to keep working as well whilst he was over for an extended stay. He met my PhD supervisor - they worked in similar areas - and we started working form there. His use of statistics was miles beyond what I thought was possible, and together we published a handful of papers that, even today, I'm still really pleased with. I remember going through to meet him at his daughter's house and having a then-International footballer making tea and coffee for us. That was weird.

His daughter married a(Presumably) millionaire professional athlete, so clearly she got some of her fathers brains.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Yeh I think league football has the highest payout but they really aren't keen on paying out huge wedges for niche stuff. Which kind of makes sense, I wonder if we could get odds on the P&B chess league.

The bookies had odds on a five a side/Futsal game I played in once. I got my mates to stick money on us.

It’s an easy game from the stands
True. But i was fucking shocking - and all because of a daft lack of confidence.

Nowadays I'll quite happily chat to anyone or ask anything - even if it makes you look a bit silly (self-deprication i'l being the absolute key).

12 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Generally, I feel like the average intelligence on P&B seems a lot higher than the population at large.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a much higher proportion of diddy team supporters on P&B than the population at large.

Make of that what you will.

12 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I honestly believe that those of us who have spent more time on this here rock in space have accumulated kniowledge which can be applied to new events which crop up. Not saying that the likes of me, GD and JacksGranda are the repository of all wisdom, but simply by being alive we have experienced more 

That said, in certain instances, there's also an argument that a large number of youngsters will have already found out more about various useful subjects than their elderly counterparts simply because they've grown up constantly carrying the internet about in their pocket rather than Werther's Originals.

17 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Her Majesty's Prison Service has a saying: "There's a difference between experience and time in."

Yep...that's why I didn't really agree with the following sentence I've quoted from your post -

"Not saying that the likes of me, GD and JacksGranda are the repository of all wisdom, but simply by being alive we have experienced more than someone half our age".

One thing that absolutely baffles my brain and helps me acknowledge I'm not very smart is the idea that people that are way smarter than me actually sincerely believe in a God and I genuinely can't understand how this can happen. I'm talking about scientist types that have laser focussed objectivity up until the point where religion comes into the discussion. 

I'll never be surprised why weirdos that believe in God due to the way they were raised do so but I'll always find it weird how many objectively smart people can be religious, discounting all the "spiritual" ones that talk about a bigger "energy" rather than some omnipotent creationist God. 

As a weird aside I liked how the book Angels and Demons tried to do some negotiation where God was technically just the big bang. 

23 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've also noticed that there seems to be a much higher proportion of diddy team supporters on P&B than the population at large.

Make of that what you will.

Is there an scale of intelligence against diddiness? The more diddy the club the more intelligent the support? Have you got more intelligent in the last few seasons? 

56 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Is there an scale of intelligence against diddiness? The more diddy the club the more intelligent the support? Have you got more intelligent in the last few seasons? 

It’s Professor Hedgecutter to you.

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/07/2021 at 17:00, NotThePars said:

Lot of nerd talk threatening to derail the thread so here’s some shots fired: there’s a coterie of posters, all definitely above 45 and balding, who’ve never read a book on the topics they pontificate about and are best described as “shooting from the hip” and “calling it like they see it” emoji106.png

As true today as when it was written

On 17/07/2021 at 13:48, coprolite said:

You credit the British public with too much knowledge. 

I'd guess there would be pointless states, nevermind their capitals. 

Okay.  You were right.  Today's Pointless included state capitols with no repeat letters.  There were several pointless answers.