The long and winding road that leads me to... Campbeltown

Looking forward to my first trip to Kintyre Park on Saturday to see Campbeltown Pupils vs. Kilsyth Athletic. (Hopefully, no word yet on any ticketing or Covid restrictions etc.)

Any recommendations for pre-match food very welcome.

Thought I'd create a wee thread so we can share our tales of journeys along the A83, pictures of chippies in Inveraray, chance meetings with Paul McCartney at the Campbeltown Co-op, and such like.

To those making the journey this season, enjoy the trip!

There’s a couple of cafes on the waterfront, one at the top of the pier. Also 2 takeaways on main st if you aren’t looking to sit down. Burnside square if you’re looking for a refreshment, there’s pubs on all sides, again this is just behind the main st.

Kintyre park is only 5/10 mins walk from the town centre.

Enjoy your trip 👍🏼

It's a hoor of a long way. I take it you're not planning a day trip. 
Distilleries!
I would check out a walk to Davaar Island if you have time and the tides are right. Crucifixion cave painting which is pretty interesting even if you're not religious.
Couple of years since I was there and it seemed pretty run down. Not sure what effect the pandemic has had. The Argyll Arms and the Royal Hotel are majestic but faded sandstone buildings.

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I would check out a walk to Davaar Island if you have time and the tides are right. Crucifixion cave painting which is pretty interesting even if you're not religious.
Couple of years since I was there and it seemed pretty run down. Not sure what effect the pandemic has had. 

Saw the painting featured on Grand Tours of Scotland's Lochs and it seems it's been getting restored every few years for a while, by local Art teachers and such.

12 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Saw the painting featured on Grand Tours of Scotland's Lochs and it seems it's been getting restored every few years for a while, by local Art teachers and such.

What a lovely day for the start of the new season. Hope everyone who travels the long and winding road see a great game and gets home safely. 
I would be very interested in any comments on the standard of the game from anyone who is going. 

The magnificent West Port Beach, about 10 minutes out of Campbeltown (just past the turn off for "Tangy"). Fog has suddenly set in pretty close to here, visibility down to about the length of a football pitch. Ulp!

Even I would find it hilarious, after a near 200 mile drive and a 5am alarm call, if this match was postponed due to shan visibility. (I'm sure it will burn off, it's roasting.)

Not to "fret" over the weather, the journey here has been magical. A road I know pretty well from my trips to Islay, but it never disappoints, and today I had it mostly to myself. Bliss. IMG_20210717_103138.jpegIMG_20210717_103520.jpeg

Stuff the [emoji925]. Take a [emoji576] instead. Landing pad right next door to the park. Attached to the hospital, but I'm sure they'd let you bring a chinook in for a small fee.

One nil to Kilsyth nearing HT. Campbeltown were playing a scarily high offside line for a while and Kilsyth burst through countless times. Should have been about 3-0 after 10 minutes.

But Campbeltown have settled down a bit now, game is much more even.

Had my pre match grub at the Black Sheep. As I left, I came upon a new restaurant called No.42 Main Street. Looks a proper foodie place, whole lobster etc. Fully expect Coogan and Brydon to pitch up with a film crew.

No sign of Spiers.
IMG_20210717_143050.jpegIMG_20210717_133833.jpeg