Scotland v Moldova

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ramsay has played more than Ralston and arguably been better. There's a reason that Patterson is the subject of multi-million pound bids from EPL sides and Ralston isn't. You know yourself if Ange had any time to get in a competent right back Ralston would've been nowhere near the side, he was pish for St Johnstone. The fact he's done better than expected for you shouldn't guarantee him a call up, although I do hope he continues to play well and puts himself in contention for the next squad. 

Eh? Ralston has played just about every minute for us this season. Tbh I would quite happily see him miss out as its a lot of games he’s not been used to and has had a bad injury in the past.
The multi-million pound bid thing doesn’t really stack up either as Motherwell would kick O’Donnell out the door for any seven figure sum, its really what use they are to Clarke now. But as I said earlier I get why he has gone with Patterson.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah that's my overriding impression - that our midfield lacks a certain presence. The guys we have will be fine and look great against Moldova (when they will hopefully have a bit more time on the ball and can flood forward), they'll probably hold their own Vs Austria, but against Denmark I think we might need a bit more quality in defensive midfield.

Overall though that's the right squad - keeping together the Euros core, and making progressive (younger and realistic) changes where they were enforced.

Patterson and Ferguson hopefully to start Vs Moldova. Strongest XI for the other 2 games:

Gordon

O'Donnell Hanley Cooper Tierney Robertson

Gilmour McGregor Turnbull

McGinn

Adams

O'Donnell does not deserve to be playing at RWB for Scotland FFS. Rooney, Ralston and Patterson are all better options, but unfortunately for they lads, they will be over-looked for this absolute dud. Patterson starts there all day long. 

I will no doubt get a response saying "He has been tried and tested" (despite the fact that in 90% of games he has looked like he won a raffle to play) or the usual "Patterson isn't ready and it is too much of a risk to play him"

I don't understand anyone who thinks Ralston should be anywhere near the squad. He's spent the last 4 years being a Championship level right back at best, and after a couple of decent performances in a team that's winning 6-0 every week people think he's good enough for Scotland??

SOD = Patterson > Ramsay > Rooney > Palmer > Nicky fucking Devlin >> Ralston IMO

For Denmark (and perhaps Austria):

Gordon
Hendry Hanley Tierney
O'Donnell Gilmour McGregor Robertson
McGinn
Adams Christie

I don't want to play Hendry but I don't want Hanley or Gallagher to play on the right. Cooper might be able to but I'm not sure we're ever actually gonna see that happen.

I think an Adams, Christie and McGinn front three has a bit of everything in it (providing Christie has already had the Neil Lennon coached out of him). This isn't Turnbull's game but I'd like to see him get some game time in the Moldova match, where I'd also expect Patterson (tactical) and Taylor or Cooper (Robertson rotation) to start. Maybe McLean too but some things will depend on what happens against Denmark. At some point in the near future, it would be nice to see how Nisbet does from the start but I'm not sure if that'll happen in any of these games.

How many subs are allowed?

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

For Denmark (and perhaps Austria):

Gordon
Hendry Hanley Tierney
O'Donnell Gilmour McGregor Robertson
McGinn
Adams Christie

I don't want to play Hendry but I don't want Hanley or Gallagher to play on the right. Cooper might be able to but I'm not sure we're ever actually gonna see that happen.

I think an Adams, Christie and McGinn front three has a bit of everything in it (providing Christie has already had the Neil Lennon coached out of him). This isn't Turnbull's game but I'd like to see him get some game time in the Moldova match, where I'd also expect Patterson (tactical) and Taylor or Cooper (Robertson rotation) to start. Maybe McLean too but some things will depend on what happens against Denmark. At some point in the near future, it would be nice to see how Nisbet does from the start but I'm not sure if that'll happen in any of these games.

How many subs are allowed?

Pretty sure it’s still 5.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Eh? Ralston has played just about every minute for us this season. Tbh I would quite happily see him miss out as its a lot of games he’s not been used to and has had a bad injury in the past.
The multi-million pound bid thing doesn’t really stack up either as Motherwell would kick O’Donnell out the door for any seven figure sum, its really what use they are to Clarke now. But as I said earlier I get why he has gone with Patterson.

Ramsay has played every game for Aberdeen, I thought they had played more European qualifiers but I may be wrong there. O'Donnell is an outlier, he's in the squad because we had no options when Clarke came in and he was a man Clarke trusted (and still does). He's not going to be punted until there's two solid options in that position. Patterson is 3 years younger than Ralston and has EPL teams looking to buy him off the back of about 10 appearances, Ralston was struggling for a game at St Johnstone and barely set the heather alight at Dundee United a league below - you're aware of all this though, which is why I find the "why not Ralston?" stuff a bit disingenuous. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ramsay has played every game for Aberdeen, I thought they had played more European qualifiers but I may be wrong there. O'Donnell is an outlier, he's in the squad because we had no options when Clarke came in and he was a man Clarke trusted (and still does). He's not going to be punted until there's two solid options in that position. Patterson is 3 years younger than Ralston and has EPL teams looking to buy him off the back of about 10 appearances, Ralston was struggling for a game at St Johnstone and barely set the heather alight at Dundee United a league below - you're aware of all this though, which is why I find the "why not Ralston?" stuff a bit disingenuous. 

Ramsay hasn’t played every game as I can remember Aberdeen fans slating that Gurr lad. Yes I am aware that Ralston has had a rather patchy career since his injury. I have already said I get why he’s chose Patterson instead too and that I wouldn’t mind Ralston getting a rest so frankly this whole ‘why not Ralston’ paraphrase is quite off the mark tbh.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I have already said I get why he’s chose Patterson instead too and that I wouldn’t mind Ralston getting a rest so frankly this whole ‘why not Ralston’ paraphrase is quite off the mark tbh.

59 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Whether he is Scotlands or Celtic’s answer remains to be seen but I would have had him in ahead of a guy who’s had next to no game or and little experience to fall back on.  

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Ramsay hasn’t played every game as I can remember Aberdeen fans slating that Gurr lad. Yes I am aware that Ralston has had a rather patchy career since his injury. I have already said I get why he’s chose Patterson instead too and that I wouldn’t mind Ralston getting a rest so frankly this whole ‘why not Ralston’ paraphrase is quite off the mark tbh.

Don't worry about it, Moonster often likes to see things that aren't there in favour of what's right in front of him.

Stephen O'Donnell may well be average but he certainly does what's asked of him. Someone more in the know might be able to pull up the indepth stats but I reckon he performs decent in terms of distance covered, crosses, tackles won and pass completion. What more do you want from the guy?

We don't have too much to moan about just now looking at that squad. We should comfortably dispatch Moldova. I'd be hoping for a win against Austria and anything from Denmark is bonus points. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I worry about a Scotland midfield that doesn't have Ryan Jack in it and I worry even more when Scott McTominay isn't there either. I think we'll struggle in the middle of the park more than at the back - good to see Robbo will make it. That said, if we get the mix right in there we should be able to carve teams open, Turnbull and Gilmour have a lot of quality between them there, I just worry defensively. 

I agree, and I think we'll see Kenny McLean in the other games. But against Moldova we probably don't need that amount of central solidity when we have three centre halves. That said, a sitting defender makes it easier to allow Tierney to maraud and to link up with Robertson in attack. 

16 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Stephen O'Donnell may well be average but he certainly does what's asked of him. Someone more in the know might be able to pull up the indepth stats but I reckon he performs decent in terms of distance covered, crosses, tackles won and pass completion. What more do you want from the guy?

We don't have too much to moan about just now looking at that squad. We should comfortably dispatch Moldova. I'd be hoping for a win against Austria and anything from Denmark is bonus points. 

Yeah, he tries his best and does a fair job. I listened to his interview on BBC post Euros and he really beat himself up over the negative reaction to his display against Czech Republic and Croatia and even against England. I mean these guys are human beings after all.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

From Clarke's press conference Rangers told him McLaughlin wasn't available for selection rather than him picking Clark and Kelly ahead of him.

I suppose that explains his absence from our squad on Sunday. Must have a niggle.