Most Miserable Defeat

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

the 3-2 against Morton sticks out, not a drubbing but it was on telly i think, and all 3 goals were soft set pieces.

My main memory of that game was Scott Fox continually standing about 3 feet behind his goal line for all the set pieces Morton had. One of the most infuriating things I’ve ever seen following Thistle.

Not even a defeat but our first home game of 97/98 against Stirling Albion, a 2-2 draw.

It was the second season of Tony Fitzpatrick's second tenure in charge, the previous season had seen us finish in a creditable fourth in what was then called League 1 and there was a lot of optimism around Love St.!

Anyway Albion scored first but we fought back to lead 2-1, they had a player sent off and those were the days when having used all their outfield subs they had to bring on their reserve goalkeeper to do a headless chicken act upfront. So anyway into the last coupla minutes and we get a corner which they clear and punt past our defenders at the halfway line, their lone forward runs to left hand edge of the box and has two options a wundergoal or slow down and wait to be clattered from behind which duly happened, clear penalty which they scored and held out for the remaining time to leave us trudging out deflated which lasted the rest of Fitzpatrick's time in charge.

For me this game and the death of hope is still the worst I've suffered as a Saints fan, even more so than the "9 man final" where we were actually the better team until that horrific 17 seconds and the H*mm*rby game in 85/86 because on those two occasions we still had a decent top flight team to watch in the next game.

Edited by btb

The 0-0 against Alloa under Smith, with Ayr winning the league despite handing it to us on a plate by losing (to Alloa, oddly enough) the previous weekend. Sickened me so much I barely spoke for the rest of the day, and then on the Sunday had a day out in fucking Ayrshire of all places. 

I imagine the inevitable playoff surrender was probably worse, but I was back down South by then. 

Edited by Michael W

3 minutes ago, btb said:

Not even a defeat but our first home game of 97/98 against Stirling Albion, a 2-2 draw.

It was the second season of Tony Fitzpatrick's second tenure in charge, the previous season had seen us finish in a creditable fourth in what was then called League 1 and there was a lot of optimism around Love St.!

Anyway Albion scored first but we fought back to lead 2-1, they had a player sent off and then had having used all their outfield subs had to bring on their reserve goalkeeper to do a headless chicken act upfront. So anyway into the last coupla minutes and we get a corner which they clear and punt past our defenders at the halfway line, their forward runs to left hand edge of the box and has two options a wundergoal or slow down and wait to be clattered from behind which duly happened, clear penalty which they scored and held out for the last coupla minutes to leave us trudging out deflated which lasted the rest of Fitzpatrick's time in charge.

For me this game and the death of hope is still worst I've suffered as a Saints fan, even more so than the "9 man final" where we were actually the better team until that horrific 17 seconds and H*mm*rby game in 85/86 because on those two occasions we still had a decent top flight team to watch in the next team.

St Mirren have never been as low as League One.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

I personally can't think of any miserable defeats Morton have had. Few 4/5 goal skelpings here and there but none that's going to live on in Scottish football fan folklore as being utterly shameful and embarrassing or anything. Such a relief.

Surely conceding 10 against Hamilton wasn't good

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

St Mirren have never been as low as League One.

I salute your pedantry but I did say "what was then called  League 1", although obviously I should've said First Division.

I see @Ranaldo Bairn has beaten me to it.

Edited by btb

17 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Weirdly I was more miserable with the Ross County drubbing before that than the playoffs which I'd kinda resigned myself to losing, iirc the main thing I mind from the County loss was watching Adam Barton and Abdul Osman regress from looking the part as top flight players to quite clearly having given up and just going through the motions (at best).

yep, this is hard to top. When we scored in the 2nd game I remember turning and joking that it'd be a good point for us knowing we'd shit the bed late on, was nonetheless still ashen faced by the end in disbelief that we'd lost to them the same way again.

the 3-2 against Morton sticks out, not a drubbing but it was on telly i think, and all 3 goals were soft set pieces. Sticks out to me, going from being pleased with getting a 2-0 lead to conceding 3 set pieces in the one game was woeful.

First thing that had come to mind was 6-1 against Gretna, we weren't the only team they beat heavily but I hated them at the time so getting dismantled really stung.

Many reputations were circling the drain at that time, right enough.

Far too many to mention. A few which really stick in my memory:
Ayr 0 Ki**ie 3 Stuart Auld game forever etched in my mind. They could have scored as many as they liked.
Ict 7 Ayr 3. Dire.
Ict 4 Ayr 3. 3 up at ht and blew it big style.
Old Rangers 7 (seven) Ayr 0, cup semi final. John Rowbottom blew for ft after 87 minutes as an act of mercy.
What a joy this thread is.....

26 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

First thing that had come to mind was 6-1 against Gretna, we weren't the only team they beat heavily but I hated them at the time so getting dismantled really stung.

This was the first one I thought of too. We never managed to beat Gretna.  

If I was to throw out one that’s not been mentioned yet, it would be the 0-6 vs Aberdeen where we were 0-5 down at half time. Not sure what was worse - the game or the spectacle at half time. We were treated to some sort of fan/drama club reenactment of the ‘71 League Cup final. One of the goals was actually put wide but they had to pretend it went in anyway. 

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Connah's Quay Nomads. Can't imagine anything will ever match that.

In the build up to that game, who would have thought we'd be having this discussion on the Championship chat now.

Demonstrates how much of a shambles we were last season.

Got  good vibes about the coming one tho'.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

losing to an already relegated Airdrie United last game of 2012/13 when we just needed to win to clinch 8th place.

This is in my top 5. Win would have kept us up despite admin, points deduction etc. We’d have been fine even with the defeat if Cowden hadn’t won at Hamilton. A proper deflating feeling knowing we had a trip to Forfar to come a few days after in play-offs when the season should have been over.

The 3-3 draw at Firhill the week before was almost just as gutting tbf. Thistle were champions but we led 3-1 with five mins to go after a superb second half display. Then bottled it.

Soul destroying.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Connah's Quay Nomads. Can't imagine anything will ever match that.

That would’ve been my pick up until the second leg against Dundee. Against the Nomads we started well and had a lot of chances to probably kill the tie. We didn’t and then (if you will indulge me a little) I think the crowd actually played a part in that result. The majority of us grew restless and it seemed to force the players into some type of urgency that really didn’t exist given we were ahead in the tie. We wanted a glorious goal fest when really we should’ve just been happy to keep the ball. Of course the players need to take responsibility so I’m not blaming the crowd.

Against Dundee to send us down the performance at Rugby Park was just embarrassing. Players either seemed to not care or not have a clue how to handle the situation. The Ross Millen throw in which eventually lead to the opening goal just summed the whole season up for me - clueless and embarrassing football team. To simply not turn up for a game like that was a disgrace. Nobody ever expects Kilmarnock to just easily beat a team like Dundee and I wouldn’t mind going down fighting but to roll over and die as we did made that game the worst game I’ve ever seen us involved with.  If you had asked me this question just before the second leg I’d have probably said the first leg of that tie but incredibly we took that horrific level and lowered it even further at Rugby Park.  That’s why I was quite happy to see everyone go in the summer with the exception of Lafferty of course. Even Lafferty though I thought was shocking in that second game.