English Premier League 2021/22 Season

Man Utd are so unbelievably shit - the worst part was watching a lot of the fans stay back to applaud the team out of sympathy as if getting beat at home against Wolves is inevitable. 

Already a question mark over the manager as well.

11 hours ago, David W said:

FIM8AbNWUAQpKgi?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

It's always enjoyable when a "top" team literally can't be bothered running about. If Wolves could score goals they would have ran riot.

I'm no body language expert but looking at them there it's not a surprise they lost.

17 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Anyone who suggests that Ronaldo is a 'problem' seems to get roundly mocked and all his goalscoring stats shoved in their face, which I get. However I do think there is a serious debate to be had at the club over the impact he will have on the longer term planning of the club. I don't think anyone with a brain would suggest that right now not having him in the team makes them better. But the only way Man Utd are going to catch up with City and Liverpool is if they embed some kind of way of playing that can be worked on and improved over 2 or 3 years, and then appropriate players brought in to suit that style. For as long as Ronaldo is there I think that becomes very hard for whoever the coach is because he has to play and the team has to play to his strengths because right now he is their best player. So any longer term plans kind of get put on hold.

Of course the other side is that without him they'd already be out the Champions League and be further down the league which causes financial issues and makes the club less attractive to other players. I'm not sure what the solution is but I think he creates a dilemma for whoever the next coach is.

He is still scoring plenty of goals himself but Man United’s average goals per (league) game this season is lower than it has been in each of their previous 5 seasons.

Same at Juventus. The three seasons he was there he scored plenty but Juve overall scored more in the 3 seasons prior to him signing.

On an individual level his stats are incredibly impressive but it seems to very much to the detriment of the team so long may it continue.

Edited by ArabGaz

United were horrendous in two of the three games they played before Ronaldo signed too, so I'm not sure we can say he's definitely had a negative effect overall. They were a shambles under Solskjaer and I think that was gonna happen with or without Ronaldo. I think he limits how much a new manager can progress the side, though, and that's clearly bad.

I've wondered all season how he would've worked at City. The sensible answer would be that he'd come on when they were chasing a goal and start every so often against shit teams, but I can't imagine him being happy with that.

I think folk are being harsh on Rangnick. Inherited a poor, unprofessional squad from everything I saw under Solksjaer.

They finished 2nd and reached the Europa League final last season. They'd finished in the top 3 in both full seasons under Solskjaer in fact, something they'd done only once between Ferguson leaving and him taking over.

He might have had some utterly embarrassing results and have been out of his depth a bit, but he was still their best manager since Ferguson. Rangnick was a very weird option to replace him, a guy who had basically been out of top level management for more than a decade, with one brief exception.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They finished 2nd and reached the Europa League final last season. They'd finished in the top 3 in both full seasons under Solskjaer in fact, something they'd done only once between Ferguson leaving and him taking over.

He might have had some utterly embarrassing results and have been out of his depth a bit, but he was still their best manager since Ferguson. Rangnick was a very weird option to replace him, a guy who had basically been out of top level management for more than a decade, with one brief exception.

I think Ragnick is there to see what is required before moving upstairs, getting his own man in and putting the building blocks in place. I think he'll go on to be a shrewd appointment.

It's unfair to say they were lucky to get second but last season was a bit of an anomaly IMO. City ran away with it, Chelsea started off pretty poorly until Tuchel turned it around and Liverpool had the champions hangover. Arsenal and Spurs were Arsenal and Spurs.

On 04/01/2022 at 03:24, Theroadlesstravelled said:

McTominay has been poor. He’s getting slaughtered by Neves.

He’s only good when it’s McFred. McMatic is shite.

You must have missed the Burnley game.

Also agreed that TAA is a great player to watch, technically excellent and an absolutely hopeless defender. His gormless running style and complete lack of positional sense means he looks at fault (fully or partially) for almost every goal Liverpool concede.

It's always amusing when pundits highlight a clip of him making a last ditch slide tackle as evidence you can't criticise him defensively.

Racks up the FPL points for me too. Him and Xhaka are quite similar in that they both have some great aspects of their game but also some glaring deficiencies at the top level (Alonso too), it's far more fun to watch that competent robots.

I would say Maguire is similar but his only positive is heading, everything else he is just comically bad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59875348

From La Liga title, Champions League, sunshine to the miserable North East. Money talks, but given this is probably only the start this month of the spending, I'm sure many will hope they get relegated and players like Trippier blow their chances of attending the World Cup. Inflating already heavily inflated bank balances at the expense of trophies and success, you'd think all those years at Spurs he'd be wanting a bit more.