NRJFA Leagues

GNU_Linux

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Disappointed Burghead Thistle didn't make the play offs, neve mind promotion.

Lossie United are a lot better this season and Whitehills are back. I wonder if that is hurting Burghead

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Are Bridge of Don going to finish their season before June? 

They currently have league fixtures upto and including Saturday 8th June.

Also in SFs of North Junior Cup.

Lost in North & Tayside Junior Cup SFs yesterday.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Disappointed Burghead Thistle didn't make the play offs, neve mind promotion.

I hadn't noticed there now were playoffs in North Juniors.

What's the format... 2x SFs > Final? 2 legs or neutral venue?

Nairn don't finish league games until Saturday 8th June and 'on paper' can catch East End for playoff.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

No idea, tbh, @GNU_Linux will be your man, I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Two-legged semi finals, followed by a final at a neutral venue.

Culter look like winning nearly everything going again this season, after beating Bridge of Don Thistle last night to claim the Mcleman Cup.

I doubt their attitude to promotion has changed since last year.

No rush to move up the pyramid

Despite their dominance this season, Culter are in no rush to follow Banks o’ Dee into the Highland League.

Thomson said: “Financially we are not ready for it.

“It would be a big step up. It took Banks o’ Dee six or seven years to get ready.

“It would cost the club a minimum of £120,000 to get an SFA club licence which you require and that would involve things such as installing floodlights, upgrading dressing rooms and improving disabled facilities.

“Then it would be a question of whether the players and the committee are up for it with the travelling costs.

“It would be a huge step up so for the time-being we will enjoy ourselves in the juniors.

“There are one or two clubs who are looking at moving up to the Highland League.

“I think our friends at Dyce are the closest to it. They have been building up their club. They have put in floodlights and they are away to put in a stand.

“To get up you need to win the league first and that is the hardest part.

“If we get more success we might have the hunger to do it but that would be more of a longer term plan.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/5764099/culter-fc-president-memorable-campaign/

Bridge of Don's fixture backlog has worsened after they won their North Region Cup semi-final 3-1 at Sunnybank last night. The final has been scheduled for Sunday 26 May, bumping back their home league game against Buchanhaven. Their remaining games are:

Saturday 18 May v Dyce

Tuesday 21 May at Newmacher

Sunday 26 May v Hermes in cup final at Crombie Park (Culter)

Tuesday 28 May at Stonehaven

Saturday 1 June v Culter, who won't have played in 11 days. This is the last day there are any fixtures not involving Bridge of Don.

Tuesday 4 June at Hermes

Saturday 8 June v Stonehaven, who won't have had a game in 11 days, since their previous game against Bridge of Don

Tuesday 11 June v Sunnybank, who won't have had a game in 3 weeks

Saturday 15 June v Buchanhaven, who won't have had a game in 5 weeks!

Surprised they don't do what most leagues would do in these circumstances and schedule 3 games per week. Seems especially rough on Buchanhaven whose next game is probably closer to their first friendly of next season than it is to their previous game this season. 

If you thought the Highland League had a lot of cups, that's fucking Bush League compared to how many this league has.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

If you thought the Highland League had a lot of cups, that's fucking Bush League compared to how many this league has.

I thought they would have gotten rid of a couple with the move to two divisions due to the league fixture increase, but nope.

1. Regional Cup
  2. League Cup (includes group stage)
  3. North/Midland Inter-Regional Cup
  4. McLeman Cup (Premier Division teams) / Elginshire Cup (Championship teams)
  5. Junior Cup

EDIT: And a couple of teams play in the Aberdeenshire Cup and Shield.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You're not kidding. I make it...

Winner of the NR Premier plays in the big Scottish Cup. This season Culter played 2 rounds.

Junior Cup. Rothie Rovers and Stonehaven made it the furthest, to the 4th round.

Inter Regional Cup (with Midland League) - 6 rounds. Final is this Saturday between East Craigie and Lochee. Buchanhaven and Bridge of Don made it to the semis.

North Regional Cup - 5 rounds, presumably some byes. Final is 26 May.

Grill League Cup - 2 or 3 group games followed by 3 knock-out rounds. Culter beat Bridge of Don in the final in October.

Jim McPherson Trophy. Pre-season super cup type thing between the winners of the league and the Regional Cup

McLeman Cup - 4 rounds, for Premier clubs. Culter beat Bridge of Don in the final last week.

Championship/ Elginshire Cup - 4 rounds (some byes) for championship clubs. Islavale beat Deveronside in the final a couple of weeks ago.

I don't get the point of cups where you're only playing sides you meet in the league division you're in, unless you make the final of course. The excitement for the draw is zero. 

Aye divisional cups are absolutely pointless.  Highlighted this season by Bridge of Don's backlog.  I appreciate the weather has played a part too.

I've seen Bridge of Don play twice in the last couple of weeks and plan on watching their two games next week. They look like they're running on empty a bit unsurprisingly and a couple of their better players were watching from the sidelines last night. Not sure if they were injured or just rested with the brutal schedule. I also think they lack the attacking prowess of Culter, Dyce and Hermes and will probably finish 4th as a result.

I also heard the other day that they are moving to a new astro being built at Cloverhill, which is expected to be completed in October 2025. Not only should this help reduce future fixture backlogs but ultimately it makes a lot more sense for a team called Bridge of Don to be playing in Bridge of Don. Their move will free up ASV as well. I doubt Lewis United will be returning but the Uni may be interested given they have seemingly given up on maintaining Hillhead.

This is why the East Region didn't bother with the League Cup this season. It's always played late in the season so it can be cancelled if too many clubs have a fixture backlog and that is what happened now. And that made perfect sense now.

Posted (edited)

Have to question why Deveronside and Whitehills didn't go thru with their planned merger........,surely it would hav been better for 2 clubs,only 2/3 miles apart to hav combined resources and made a right go of it in the NRJFA championship ??

Yeah Side are in the play-offs,but can't help but feel it's a missed opportunity. 

Edited by Dav nan Gael

On 15/05/2024 at 12:58, afca32 said:

I've seen Bridge of Don play twice in the last couple of weeks and plan on watching their two games next week. They look like they're running on empty a bit unsurprisingly and a couple of their better players were watching from the sidelines last night. Not sure if they were injured or just rested with the brutal schedule. I also think they lack the attacking prowess of Culter, Dyce and Hermes and will probably finish 4th as a result.

I also heard the other day that they are moving to a new astro being built at Cloverhill, which is expected to be completed in October 2025. Not only should this help reduce future fixture backlogs but ultimately it makes a lot more sense for a team called Bridge of Don to be playing in Bridge of Don. Their move will free up ASV as well. I doubt Lewis United will be returning but the Uni may be interested given they have seemingly given up on maintaining Hillhead.

Might be common knowledge on here but heard Jamie Watt will be Bridge of Don manager next year.

34 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Might be common knowledge on here but heard Jamie Watt will be Bridge of Don manager next year.

Yeah I believe that's true.