Kilwinning Rangers 24/25

10 minutes ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

Risky/Brave - it’s a gamble either way. 
The appointment does also seem to suggest that money will be tighter than ever at Buffs Park this season, hence they have gone with someone with a record of working on a shoestring. 

The First Division is fiercely competitive and Buffs will need top players to have a hope of getting back up. That’s surely the club’s aim: Losing the likes of Lewis and Stuart won’t help. 

Good luck to the guy but Imo the Buffs gig is a bit of a poisoned chalice these days. 

Buffs aren't a money club and haven't been for a long time.

Sure, we've got 125 years of history, but that counts for nothing when the season starts.

Money counts in the WoSFL. Clubs like Drumchapel, Gartcairn and St Cadocs wouldn't be where they are without it.

Buffs will cut their cloth to suit our situation, same as any club does. Our budget will be competitive, but the manager will have to use his contacts to beg, steal and borrow the players that we need to help us. He'll need time too, we can't keep hiring a new manager nearly every season. I'd be happy to let the manager build a team/squad that is looking medium term to create something that can get us promotion competitive. It's not going to be easy as rivals Medda and AWR, along with Kilbirnie will be tough opposition next season.

6 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Do you think these guys will do a job?

Both good players, but not sure that they will improve a championship winning team?

I'm assuming at 32, Lewis will be a player/coach?

3 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Buffs aren't a money club and haven't been for a long time.

Sure, we've got 125 years of history, but that counts for nothing when the season starts.

Money counts in the WoSFL. Clubs like Drumchapel, Gartcairn and St Cadocs wouldn't be where they are without it.

Buffs will cut their cloth to suit our situation, same as any club does. Our budget will be competitive, but the manager will have to use his contacts to beg, steal and borrow the players that we need to help us. He'll need time too, we can't keep hiring a new manager nearly every season. I'd be happy to let the manager build a team/squad that is looking medium term to create something that can get us promotion competitive. It's not going to be easy as rivals Medda and AWR, along with Kilbirnie will be tough opposition next season.

It’s also worth baring in mind that while it is a brave appointment, the same committee sacked Strain and hired Gormely and Aitken…

I do hope Kelly is a success because I was struck last season by how the home crowd at Buffs Park has fallen off a cliff and I hate to see that happening at the long established clubs. 

4 minutes ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

It’s also worth baring in mind that while it is a brave appointment, the same committee sacked Strain and hired Gormely and Aitken…

I do hope Kelly is a success because I was struck last season by how the home crowd at Buffs Park has fallen off a cliff and I hate to see that happening at the long established clubs. 

Fair comments 👍

I think promotion will be well beyond Buffs this coming season. The list of players signed for next season dwindles by the week - we’re almost looking at a complete rebuild - again! The new gaffer deserves some time to build a new squad and expectations need to be realistic. 

1 hour ago, Park the Buffs said:

I think promotion will be well beyond Buffs this coming season. The list of players signed for next season dwindles by the week - we’re almost looking at a complete rebuild - again! The new gaffer deserves some time to build a new squad and expectations need to be realistic. 

Some stability around the club and evidence that we are trying to build something will be good enough for me 👍

41 minutes ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

Mmm…reading that,  it does look like money is tighter than ever. 

The buffs will be fine. I am not in the know about budgets but even if it has been cut it doesn't guarantee they won't be successful on the park. Look at the reported money thrown about by Johnstone last season and they just made it up.

Bigger budget only guarantees you will spend more wages on slightly above average players at times! 
The new team just need to find the right blend of youth , experience and character. Money doesn't guarantee that! 

14 minutes ago, Fabi said:

The buffs will be fine. I am not in the know about budgets but even if it has been cut it doesn't guarantee they won't be successful on the park. Look at the reported money thrown about by Johnstone last season and they just made it up.

Bigger budget only guarantees you will spend more wages on slightly above average players at times! 
The new team just need to find the right blend of youth , experience and character. Money doesn't guarantee that! 

A local knowledge of players capabilities and availability is essential. Kevin Kelly is totally different from his late father, Mr Paul Kelly, who was sadly taken from his loved ones during COVID, and those who knew him well and regarded him as a great friend ( myself included). The players will enjoy the sessions put on by John McGowan.First came to know John via Partick Thistle and Peasy. Interesting the Buffs have retained their own GK Coach. Scott Black filled that role under Kevin at two clubs. Brilliant in and out of the dressing room. Good luck gentlemen 

1 hour ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

Mmm…reading that,  it does look like money is tighter than ever. 

Which bit of the article suggests anything about money? Struggling to see if you’ve made that connection 

6 minutes ago, coach said:

A local knowledge of players capabilities and availability is essential. Kevin Kelly is totally different from his late father, Mr Paul Kelly, who was sadly taken from his loved ones during COVID, and those who knew him well and regarded him as a great friend ( myself included). The players will enjoy the sessions put on by John McGowan.First came to know John via Partick Thistle and Peasy. Interesting the Buffs have retained their own GK Coach. Scott Black filled that role under Kevin at two clubs. Brilliant in and out of the dressing room. Good luck gentlemen 

There's bags of experience in that management team.

I've a gut feeling that we've got things right with this appointment, a feeling I never got with Gormley or Aitken.

1 hour ago, Albertz91 said:

Am hearing the buffs are cancelling friendlies cause they have no players. 

Pre season training starts this week.

There is a core of players remaining at the club, however it's reasonable to expect that some things will alter, including previously agreed friendly matches, with the new management team coming in.

On 17/06/2024 at 21:59, funky monkey said:

It's a brave appointment by the committee.

The problem with Aitken was that he didn't seem to understand this level of football, particularly when it came to recruitment. Kelly has been involved at this level of football since he was a teenager. He's bringing his backroom with him including Steven Saunders. I'm optimistic we've got the right guy this time, although that's only based upon how well he spoke tonight and what he did with Caledonian last season with no money.

Kelly has came on board with no idea it got touted on a message to players and commitee his achievements 1 being finishing 4th in the 2nd division the other I heard was he was all for pathways and bringing through you but yet 2 season ago rossvale 20s folded so wot pathway was he working with.

He has no expierience working with a budget which is just as well now coz when the sports club get what the buffs owe them and it's in 10s of thousands there won't be any left.

Since the move from Abbey park the kids of the kilwinning pathway have paid dues to keep KSC in the black the buffs have paid the middle of a doughnut and yet the kids can't play a semi final or big game on the big pitch.

This Kelly might hit the ground running but the club is on a downward spirall by complete mis management of the comitee who at best couldn't put a nut in a monkeys mouth

39 minutes ago, Ruffs n tuffs said:

Kelly has came on board with no idea it got touted on a message to players and commitee his achievements 1 being finishing 4th in the 2nd division the other I heard was he was all for pathways and bringing through you but yet 2 season ago rossvale 20s folded so wot pathway was he working with.

I guess you were a coach in the old regime? Hardcore fans didn't want CA back and now looking to the future. 

12 minutes ago, SM Tartan Buffs said:

I guess you were a coach in the old regime? Hardcore fans didn't want CA back and now looking to the future. 

Not at all just privy to some information through a friend who has bailed out.

The futures bleak unless they get there house in order kids of kilwinning have basically been paying for the buffs to play at the new Abbey park since they moved anytime u ask about debt the question gets ignored 🤷‍♂️

49 minutes ago, Ruffs n tuffs said:

Not at all just privy to some information through a friend who has bailed out.

The futures bleak unless they get there house in order kids of kilwinning have basically been paying for the buffs to play at the new Abbey park since they moved anytime u ask about debt the question gets ignored 🤷‍♂️

Sour grapes from the ex manager passing inforamtion to his pals. Expected more class from Chris as he left his position- looks to me like hes getting people to attack, convincing players to leave and desperate for the club to fail to make himself look better.

I don’t think it takes a genius to see the Buffs are in a spot of trouble on and off the park - to argue otherwise is just daft.

ive already said I hope Kelly does well but in all honesty its not an appointment they would even have considered a few years ago. 

The buzzword at the club right now seems to be pathway. It’s something we’ve heard aired on and off over the last few years which suggests to me there is no clear direction behind the scenes. 

Gormley came in and despite chat about pathways he was allowed to sign a host of players closer to 40 than 30. 

Aitken’s own signings were  in the mould of Boylan and Boyd - guys in or entering the latter stages of their career.

The strategy seems to be mish mash at best. Now we’re back to beating the pathway drum.

i think Buffs fans have to brace themselves for another long hard season tbh. 

Edited by coistysgoldenboots

25 minutes ago, SM Tartan Buffs said:

Sour grapes from the ex manager passing inforamtion to his pals. Expected more class from Chris as he left his position- looks to me like hes getting people to attack, convincing players to leave and desperate for the club to fail to make himself look better.

I don't know chris on a personal level at all so you couldn't call that anymore wrong.

That's not sour grapes thats fact a big man known well in the town asked the question on club finances at the monday meeting  and no reply to him and it's no secret at KSC the money owed to them from the buffs as for players leaving I haven't seen any announced so not sure about that.