Dundee United v Sevco 7 August 2021

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Do Rangers fans think the alleged 28 grand a year for Lundstram is accurate? I know he’s came straight from the Premier League but, if true, that’s crazy money for a player of that standard. How long until Ryan Jack returns from his injury? 

Btw well done Dundee United today, certainly didn’t see that coming but it’s an excellent result and made better with fans in attendance. When St Mirren beat Rangers last year in the cup I was over the moon but the only thing that tainted it was not being able to be in the stadium for it, especially for a last minute winner. 

FTFY - still think he’s overpaid tbqhwy 

Guest TheJTS98

Are we going to add a new myth to Scottish fitba here?

Seen it in a couple of places now.

I hate Rangers as much as the next normal human being, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that a team that won the league by about November and didn't lose a game owe it all to the covid.

I have no doubt this will be the Celtic narrative foreverandeverandeverandever. But the rest of us can surely leave it alone.

Edited by TheJTS98

23 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Are we going to add a new myth to Scottish fitba here?

Seen it in a couple of places now.

I hate Rangers as next as the much normal human being, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that a team that won the league by about November and didn't lose a game owe it all to the covid.

I have no doubt this will be the Celtic narrative foreverandeverandeverandever. But the rest of us can surely leave it alone.

I don’t think it a huge stretch to say he was on his last legs, they were 13 off Celtic, out of both cups, heading for another trophy-less season and had lost 4 out of their last 5 games including a home defeat to Hamilton and an away defeat to bottom placed hearts before the season was halted. Not sure how the board felt about more failure but the fans were on his back and wanting change.  

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I don’t think it a huge stretch to say he was on his last legs, they were 13 off Celtic, out of both cups, heading for another trophy-less season and had lost 4 out of their last 5 games including a home defeat to Hamilton and an away defeat to bottom placed hearts before the season was halted. Not sure how the board felt about more failure but the fans were on his back and wanting change.  

But Celtic's position is that finishing the season when we did made no difference to anything?

All the things you say would have been the same with or without covid.

And then Rangers strolled it the following season.

It's an utterly churlish suggestion. The most Old Firm thing ever. Like I said, within a few months this will be the established Celtic View. Make no mistake though, it's fucking nonsense.

2 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

But Celtic's position is that finishing the season when we did made no difference to anything?

It's an utterly churlish suggestion. The most Old Firm thing ever. Like I said, within a few months this will be the established Celtic View. Make no mistake though, it's fucking nonsense.

It's 100% nonsense. A comfort blanket for Celtic fans. Gerrard wouldn't have been sacked regardless. 

Celtic were such an unadulterated shambles last season, even with crowds it's almost impossible to imagine that Rangers wouldn't have finished ahead of them.

It's not like Celtic fans to blame external factors for their club's own failings, though

4 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

The point being if the season had continued to completion and their form hadn’t improved then he may have been shown the door for failing so badly but instead he got to press the reset, start a fresh season and ultimately succeeded.  It’s all hypothetical but the fans were definitely unhappy with the poor performances and lack of silverware. 

1 minute ago, Drew Brees said:

It’s all hypothetical but the fans were definitely unhappy with the poor performances and lack of silverware. 

The majority of fans supported him. A significant majority too. You're talking about something you don't know enough about here.

Just now, Sarto Mutiny said:

Celtic were such an unadulterated shambles last season, even with crowds it's almost impossible to imagine that Rangers wouldn't have finished ahead of them.

It's not like Celtic fans to blame external factors for their club's own failings, though

Celtics problems last season were all self inflicted, think every fan on here, bar Willie, said as much on many occasions. 

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

The point being if the season had continued to completion and their form hadn’t improved then he may have been shown the door for failing so badly but instead he got to press the reset, start a fresh season and ultimately succeeded.  It’s all hypothetical but the fans were definitely unhappy with the poor performances and lack of silverware. 

Nah, it's just wrong.

Rangers had been in the last sixteen of the Europa League, and a League Cup final that everyone acknowledged they were (hilariously) robbed in.

They'd won at Celtic Park and, while still a bit off it, were clearly closing the gap on Celtic.

The idea he was on the verge of the bullet and all of this is some kind of covid-inspired lucky break is preposterous.

Like I said, it'll be the view Celtic fans take into the future, so we might as well all get used to ridiculing it.

12 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Naturally enough.

8 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Other than some moon howlers the fingers were firmly pointed at Lennon and then the board for not acting fast enough. The external factors  are almost irrelevant such was our demise.

As for Gerrard that, collapse after Christmas and being turfed out the cups had quite a few Rangers fans calling for his head at the time iirc. We can only speculate how worse it would have got but ultimately I think his European record would have saved him given the cash flow issues.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Celtics problems last season were all self inflicted, think every fan on here, bar Willie, said as much on many occasions. 

Where is @wastecoatwilly ? And our favourite Shakespeare character, @Romeo ?

All joking aside, I hope they're o.k.

4 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Nah, it's just wrong.

Rangers had been in the last sixteen of the Europa League, and a League Cup final that everyone acknowledged they were (hilariously) robbed in.

They'd won at Celtic Park and, while still a bit off it, were clearly closing the gap on Celtic.

The idea he was on the verge of the bullet and all of this is some kind of covid-inspired lucky break is preposterous.

Like I said, it'll be the view Celtic fans take into the future, so we might as well all get used to ridiculing it.

I was very frustrated but still wanted to stick with him. 

We had 1 game in hand and 2 games left to play against celtc so potentially could have narrowed the gap to 4 points with 4 or 5 games left to play.

The team was getting booed off the pitch though, I think it's fair enough to say that if we had lost the old Firms and our game in hand there would have been a sizeable portion of the fanbase calling for his head but I probably would say the majority could see the progress and were settled on the fact we weren't going into the 10 in a row season with a new manager. 

Edited by SANTAN

Had to double check to make sure this was the United vs Sevco match thread. Nobody gives a f**k about Celtic and their hilarious capitulation last season so id prefer we get back to laughing at that mob from Govan 👍🏻