Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

Thought it was quite good and much closer to Tolkien's material than some of the relentlessly negative stuff that has been pushed online about it has been implying. Satisfied in my own mind now that the people who have been doing that are simply racists for the most part. Given what Tolkien himself did with Eowyn as a character the Galadriel angle isn't as far from the LoTR in spirit due to some woke agenda as some people have been implying.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Imagine watching a TV and being incensed that there are non white characters. It's simply racism no matter how these fools try to justify it. 

Likewise seeing a woman in a leading role and sexism.

I genuinely can't get the mindset of such bigots. I wasn't once removed from the immersion upon seeing a black person or woman.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Just watched episode 1 and thought it was pretty boring. Every scene with elf dialogue is ridiculous and overblown. Why does every character go all 'Sofia Vergara' just to pronounce "Galadriel"?

See also 'Elrond' and 'Sauron'.

Watched both episodes yesterday. 

In short, not a complete disaster as alot of people were predicting, but also not the greatest show on earth the Amazon exes were probably hoping for. 

There are always going to be a different cross section of folk watching this show. I'm a die hard Tolkien fan, read all the books, so I'll be watching the series good or bad (hopefully good), if only just to see on screen things I've read about for the last 25 years and only tried to imagine in my head.

I can certain see how the episodes could come across as boring to some, I'm just delighted to see representations of Moria, Lindon etc so I was engaged throughout.

Things I liked, acting of Galadriel and Celebrimbor, how it looks, the score, representation of the Orcs and (surprisingly!!) the Harfoots, infact most of the made up elements, Arondir etc I thought were actually pretty good. Small bits that lore fans would pick up on such as Dwarves mentioning Aule, Feanors hammer, mentioning of two previous relationships between humans and elves etc.

Things I struggled with, the dialogue from the the Elves which as had been mentioned is completely overblown, I especially cringed at the Gil-Galad speech telling the Elf company they could go back to Valinor, not 100% sold on Elrond yet, the Prologue was very much condensed, I would have liked to have seen the Valar or at least mention them, obviously they haven't got rights to the Silmarillion so they have had to change/condense that which grates on me, that's something I'll have to get over though. There was alot of explanation/exposition. Hopefully that was down to scene setting and the rest of series picks up.

Still got Numenor to come, I assume in the next episode. I think there's a really great series in there, just got a few things holding it back at the moment from stopping it cut loose.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Imagine watching a TV and being incensed that there are non white characters. It's simply racism no matter how these fools try to justify it. 

Likewise seeing a woman in a leading role and sexism.

I genuinely can't get the mindset of such bigots. I wasn't once removed from the immersion upon seeing a black person or woman.

As I was watching it I was waiting for stuff that I thought would outrage those types and to be honest there wasn't really anything egregious at all. Unless people really want an all white, almost entirely male cast there really isn't much of anything to get that worked up about.

The extent of the current review bombing of it must be performative by those who haven't watched it but want to hate it anyway for those reasons.

42 minutes ago, Camster said:

I especially cringed at the Gil-Galad speech telling the Elf company they could go back to Valinor

We saw that Elrond wrote that though, and the look Gil-Galad gives him during it seemed to me to say "This is a bit much mate".

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

As I was watching it I was waiting for stuff that I thought would outrage those types and to be honest there wasn't really anything egregious at all. Unless people really want an all white, almost entirely male cast there really isn't much of anything to get that worked up about.

The extent of the current review bombing of it must be performative by those who haven't watched it but want to hate it anyway for those reasons.

Just seemed like people to me, which is what it is. Only racists will get worked up about a character being black. That some folk feel that a character not being a straight white male is somehow 'political' is just sad, and says a lot of negative things about them.

The Elvish king looked a bit like Iain Connell from Burnistoun so it took me out of it a bit in a waiting for a punch line sort of way.

Liked that they tried to address the nagging question (for me anyway when I read the books) of how the inhabitants of Moria could sustain themselves with food.

The one part that seemed a bit daft to me in a Danerys flies Drogon at jumbo jet speed to save Jon north of the wall sort of way is how far offshore would the Elvish ship have to be to reach the undying lands and what were the odds of Galadriel swimming straight to a floating raft of shipwreck survivors? That needed some mystical intervention to make sense or maybe I missed it.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I like it so far. Without going deeply into critique about the dialogue, I like the feel of the show. Definitely feels more LotR than Hobbit which is obviously a very good thing.

In between the light hearted bits with the harfoots, the darker elements have a proper sense of mystery and foreboding which I am on board with.

Only thing that's been nagging me so far is Elrond. The actor is doing a perfectly fine job but we've gone from Hugo Weaving to a boy that screams Dr Who to me.

On 03/09/2022 at 10:59, DA Baracus said:

Regarding Khazad-dûm;

Hide contents

Will they dig too deep and too greedily in this series?!

Assumed it was mithril they showed the Dwarves ogling at the end, so we may get a Balrog this season.