Immigrants of P&B

Torpar

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Governments can change along with the rules, look south of the border, along with Rob Ford and his brothers. Does it cost a fortune?

A little over $600 I think, plus I think the cost of getting an RCMP and maybe UK police fingerprint check. I doubt Doug Ford will be re-elected next year after making an arse of Covid, believe Ontario had/has the longest lockdown in North America. I'd like to be able to vote he out though, as of right now I can't vote in any country, so maybe I should get going with the application. At the very least start studying for the test!

16 minutes ago, Ross. said:

They keep talking about restricting this somehow, but I don’t see it ever happening. Basel, and especially Geneva, do too well out of it. I think if the SVP ever got enough of the vote it would end up like the cap on immigration, and just rattle about the various levels of government until it was watered down beyond recognition and barely worth worrying about.

I could do with my Irish citizenship coming through sometime soon (whacked in the application in Feb ‘20 and they’ve been shut for COVID almost ever since), as just having UK nationality is a bit shaky.  Also need to apply for French nationality now for wife and kids. 
Gee, thanks Brexit.

It's interesting to think that back in the 50s or 60s I could have buggered off to Canada, Australia or NZ (or even South Africa as the dad in Maribou Stork Nightmares did) without having any particular discernible skills whatsoever. 

Canada is about the only country now that might just have me but I'm too old to be arsed moving now. 

Moved from Scotland early 2000’s, initially on a secondment for one year to sort an issue my employer at the time had in Hungary. Then moved over to Canada, hated that, moved back to Hungary for another 5 years, spent a bit of time in Russia and China (Guangdong). Then moved over to Vietnam working for myself. Went from several roles that took me to Philippines-China (Jiangsu and Zhejiang) -Philippines - Indonesia over the years and now been in Singapore coming up in six years.

Many, many regrets, but leaving Scotland isn’t one of them. Only been back twice to Scotland since coming to Asia.

Got married along the way to an Indonesian and both my kids born in Singapore so consider South East Asia best Asia. 

Not a particularly fantastic story as @SlipperyP but can relate to the attitudes of the people in the region to be absolutely great and humbling. 

Love spending time in the rural areas with friends and family that leaves me no desire to return to Scotland.

There were a few things I missed from home at first, but like everything, through time these fade away.

Been in Wales for almost 20 years after moving down for a job. It's the same UN member state, mainly the same language and the same telly and shops etc but it does feel like a foreign country. 

Miss football (the dons, not in general) proper pies and a wide range of shaped processed meat in chip shops. 

I don't really get the native culture or the vernacular humour but they are mostly ok. The bigots here are more Daily Mail and less OF, but not really more numerous. 

I love the cosmopolitan nature of Cardiff but not the stag/hen night out culture. 

Overall a reasonably ok place to live. 

3 hours ago, Torpar said:

A little over $600 I think, plus I think the cost of getting an RCMP and maybe UK police fingerprint check. I doubt Doug Ford will be re-elected next year after making an arse of Covid, believe Ontario had/has the longest lockdown in North America. I'd like to be able to vote he out though, as of right now I can't vote in any country, so maybe I should get going with the application. At the very least start studying for the test!

I don't see the harm, the world has never seemed so unpredictable, a solid Canadian passport might come in handy. Treat it like insurance.

15 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

A moving story SP.

However, when did you throw your first dog in a river?

1977 I was three, but I used to throw them on the motorway, next to Moddiesburn.

15 hours ago, Torpar said:

Yeah great story, 1000 baht seems a reasonable dowry for a wife too

I've always had the suspicion that it wasn't my cash in the first place.... 

15 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^Thought he was going for a bunk up with the old dear.

Don't we all?

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

👍

Thought you would like that you old romantic.;)

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Have to say this is a fantastic and life affirming sequel to your telling of your first days in a hostel in Bangkok and the people you met there en route to Cambodia.

Yes, my first few days in Thailand, especially the first will stick in my memory for all the wrong reasons.  However, when I did start at the temple, I worked with tears and sweat.  No angry, just disgust.

I've been called many things during my life, peado  has been used on many occasions. As nobody knew what I was doing in Thailand, and many still don't.  Best kept that way.  I'll do my thing in life, nobody needs to be highlighted of the goods and bads.

Back in 2010 when I was last in Scotland, my sisters put al little goodbye party on before I headed back to Thailand.  My god daughters(niece) boyfriend (23), was coked oot his nut and had a few comments during the night.  He left the party early...in an ambulance. Not proud what I threw him down 2 flights of stairs. He's never had a bad word to say about since.

13 hours ago, Duszek said:

Live in Annecy in the French Alps and work in Geneva. In 2011 the opportunity came up to relocate from London. Kids were 4 and 2 at the time. It helped that I spoke French and love the country/people. My wife, on the other hand, is no great fan of them. Oh well… it’s a great place for kids to grow up. Climate is perfect. Italy is 2 hours away, Germany 3. Salaries in Switzerland are ludicrously high. 

what do I miss? Going to football. for a brief period there was a Ligue 1 team in Annecy, Evian Thonon-Gaillard. Managed to see Zlatan and Eden Hazard in the flesh before the club went bust.  Fuckers…

will try and pillage the Swiss job market for a few more years if I can get away with it. I keep expecting an official to tap on my shoulder and ask « What the f**k do you think you’re doing? »

2598BA94-701F-4E50-B3F2-B3B94E53CB5A.jpeg

What are all the wee white things in the water? Does everyone in that place own a boat?

17 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Came to Thailand in 2008 to live in a temple and learn about Buddhism, during this 1 month stay, the temple was  helping to built a school for the hill tribe children, that are not legally Thai to get them into the system of education and away from the prostitution and drugs trade.  A cycle that has destroyed there lives for decades.

I loved it and came back for an extra 3 months, with being back in Scotland for about 1 week.  On my second trip, I meet a woman in her 50's at a laundrette in the town of Singburi.  She said to me that she would do my washing for me and I can go and get something to eat. I thought, that's sound good to me.  On my return, she handed me 1000 baht and explained that it was in one of my pockets.  Me being a good c**t, gave her  the 1000 baht and told her to treat herself and family.  She was a little embarrassed and refused, just at that time her son walked it to pick her up (I didn't know it was her son at the time).  He could speak a little English, and I explain it to him, that I would prefer she took the money....anyway, she ordered that I come to her house that evening for a meal, that she will prepare.

I got picked up from the temple are around 18:00 and drove off into the wilderness to this little house in the farmlands/paddy fields.  The house was full of the family members, I meet my wife for the first time, it was the woman's daughter. 

I married her 3 years latter and now have 3 kids.   

I still go back to the school now and again to drop of boxes of sweeties or ice cream, none of the children are the same as when I helped there back in the day, they have all grown up, but it does give me a massive warm glow inside, when I'm there.  I also take my kids and wife with me.  Good for my kids to see  where it all began for me in Thailand.

I only ever returned back to Scotland back in 2010, to fix some financial stuff and sell my house, never looked back. 

Superb.

Short version for me -

Dundee (30 years) - Manchester (9 years) - Hong Kong (10 years) - Philippines (6 years and counting).  Lost a wife along the way, found another one as well as a son.   

Almost as much time out of Scotland as in so can't really say I miss anything that much - never found the need to get emergency supplies of Lorne sausage or bridies flown out t.b.h.  Neither love nor hate the weather out here, has its pros and cons but overall better.  Someone else mentioned the Scottish negativity, I do notice that us Scots can be a tad on the "Why" side than the "Why not" so probably fair.  

Used to go back home once a year, then once every other - haven't made it back for 10 now for various reasons.  Would like to see the old places and people again though, one day I'm sure.  My son (9) wants to move to Scotland but we'll see when he's much older how the land lies. 

Doesn't hold a candle to Slippery's story, I know.

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Doesn't hold a candle to Slippery's story, I know.

First time I've have every wrote it down, and only my 2 sisters know the story.  It felt very unreal. (not sure that's the best word). Surreal.

Much appreciated thanks to everyone, it's Friday work has finished I'm 2 pints down (real reason I moved east, you can drink earlier).

But for real here, anyone want to PM me more about helping the Hill Tribes children of Thailand, you are more than welcome.  I really never thought you c***s were that soft, like me.....

39 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What are all the wee white things in the water? Does everyone in that place own a boat?

Boats, kayaks, pedalos for the tourists and (increasingly) paddle boards. Quite fancy trying the paddle malarkey.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's interesting to think that back in the 50s or 60s I could have buggered off to Canada, Australia or NZ (or even South Africa as the dad in Maribou Stork Nightmares did) without having any particular discernible skills whatsoever. 

Canada is about the only country now that might just have me but I'm too old to be arsed moving now. 

Greeny for mentioning this stoater of a read. Should be P&B's official book.