St Johnstone vs Motherwell, Sunday 8 August, 2021

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Many will probably laugh, but I genuinely think if Tony Watt could be arsed properly applying himself to football he'd be the best Scottish centre forward by a mile.

He has such ability and instinct. He did fluff it massively for a potential winner, he ghosted into an area to volley the equaliser superbly.  A lapse by us admittedly, but you've got to read it and make the run and then finish.

He'll do his usual though, have a few great games then not really be bothered and just go through the motions.  Such a waste of a lot of talent.

Not to disagree with your broader point but I suppose I should be the Motherwell fan to chime in and say that since he signed for us a year and a half ago there's not been any sort of indication of him dropping his levels or going through the motions. His POTY award last season was fully deserved and a large part of it was an acknowledgement that he was willing to graft.

The version of Watt that you guys had definitely isn't the one we've had.

:lol: @Londonwell beat me to it.

Edited by capt_oats

52 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Like May's chance in first half. Tried to have about 5 touches rather than just shooting. New season, same problems at home scoring goals.

I thought big Bevis did well to thwart that initial move, then he seemed to run out of  ideas.

Edited by ropy

He applied himself well for the first few months then fell away at Saints.

A lot of the time he plays with a lack of intensity for me; you feel he's content to be playing and picking up a wage.  He tries and does his bit but it often felt he wasn't that bothered about the result.  You look at other players who you feel would kill their own mother if a decision is given against them.  He'll often help up opposition centre backs when he knocks them over at times.  Not a big deal in itself but i think there's often an edge lacking in his play.

He has a great touch, technically very good, can win headers, hold the ball up really well, can finish and although isn't lightning, he's not slow.   There must be a reason why he is playing at Motherwell at this stage of his career, no offence. Why do you think it is?

Watt has everything you want in a striker, except the mindset, I really liked him but he missed a couple of sitters then clearly just chucked it so wasn't too bothered about him leaving.

I still think we're too easy to defend against in general. Wotherspoon is the only one who can create anything. Middleton showed he can help take up a lot of slack today though, and on another day he gets his rewards.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

A lot of the time he plays with a lack of intensity for me; you feel he's content to be playing and picking up a wage.  He tries and does his bit but it often felt he wasn't that bothered about the result.  You look at other players who you feel would kill their own mother if a decision is given against them.  He'll often help up opposition centre backs when he knocks them over at times.  Not a big deal in itself but i think there's often an edge lacking in his play.

He has a great touch, technically very good, can win headers, hold the ball up really well, can finish and although isn't lightning, he's not slow.   There must be a reason why he is playing at Motherwell at this stage of his career, no offence. Why do you think it is?

He has killed both his mother and mother-in-law since he signed for us

I’d echo Londonwell and Capt Oats, last season at times he almost singlehandedly dragged us through games and was largely his contributions that lead to our remarkable points tally from January onwards. His loss was very apparent around the time of the split.

His form so far through friendlies and LC have been a bit meh but many posters who have ears to the ground in the squad repeatedly bring up rumours of GA issuing instructions at times that maybe draw unwarranted ire from fans as they are oblivious. These instructions as reported are sometimes stifling of a players abilities or capability to be well regarded.

i.e. if a midfield is told not to pursue a high press and sit deep then naturally they’ll be overrun and appear under the kosh.

Edited by Kapowzer

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think he admitted himself that his mindset wasn't quite right previously in his career, maybe that's the main factor? Personally I think he's a good player but just isn't quite good enough to take his game to the next level is my assessment.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye, that's kind of why I was saying I didn't disagree with your broader point. We're his 12th club (be it permanent or loan) and he's still only 27 and when you look at the tools he has there can only be so much of it down to being unlucky with managers or it not working out at a specific club.

Under Robinson he got himself in shape and he looks to have carried that on under Alexander.

His attitude has been absolutely spot on with us and at points last season he was dragging a poor side through games almost single handedly. The only aspect of his game that you'd legitimately say he's underperformed has been his goal scoring but him lacking that clinical instinct can be balanced out by Alexander using him more as a creator since he's come in.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Fair play, sounds like he's applying himself for you lot.  Still a bit surprised with that being the case he's not starting, as when he was applying himself and performing for us he would be about the first name on the team sheet.

Has played every game until today, was rested, then scored 

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Fair play, sounds like he's applying himself for you lot.  Still a bit surprised with that being the case he's not starting, as when he was applying himself and performing for us he would be about the first name on the team sheet.

In fairness he started last week and played the full 90 along with starting 3 of the 4 LC group games.

Going by his post-match today it sounds like Alexander wanted to give Shields a run out and the plan was always to give Watt the minutes off the bench. It feels like our load management during pre-season has been all over the place on account of injuries to certain players.

Last season he started 28 of 33 league games up to his injury.

Edited by capt_oats

Like  many comments above I have been pleasantly surprised by his contribution since he joined. 

It is a source of frustration (again mentioned above) that for all his attributes his ability to finish is below average. His second attempt and not his goal is more an indication of how he has played. Gives a 100%. Like most of our players capable of poor performances. Like last week v Hibs. 

It was a well taken goal. Hopefully it can give him the confidence to score more. Undoubtedly he is one of the more talented players we have at the moment. 

Delighted we managed to get a point after being a goal down. I had a few Bob on a draw which helped but in seasons gone by we would have lost that game. The pleasing spect is we were playing an established and well drilled team. We on the other hand have players unfit and new to the club. Will get a better picture in a few weeks. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Not disagreeing with any of this but to a certain extent I'd rather watch a very technically gifted player who lacks a bit of bite than a haddy that runs about elbowing people all the time.

I'm exaggerating a bit and a good team at this level will probably combine a bit of both, but realistically anyone signing for Motherwell is going to have more than a few downsides but IMO Watt's are definitely outweighed by his other strengths. For us anyway.

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tony is class and hates tories. Ten year contract. 

One of those players I really want to settle and do well at one club. Quite happy he's stuck with Well. Hating tories is an obvious plus point as well.

One thing that struck me in the Sportscene highlights is how big and strong he looked compared to St J defenders. He's not someone I would normally associate with the big and strong tag but he ertainly looked it from what I seen tonight.

Again, for the avoidance of doubt, f**k the tories.

Some players work at certain clubs and with certain managers and so far, Watt has been really different to what any of expected in that along with Alan Campbell (who sets the highest of bars) he was probably the hardest working player in the team last season - he was going off the field totally burst after most games and I had seen him in the past hardly breaking sweat. 

To me, the best evidence of his attitude is that he has lived with playing a wide attacking role for the last year with Cole and now Van Veen playing as the centre forward in our three - where I'm sure he sees himself in that role. The fact that as everyone else has said, he pulled us through games during a grim season and got the supporters POTY is all you need to know. This is now his 3rd season (2nd full season) with 'Well - interesting to see if he can keep it going.

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

Some players work at certain clubs and with certain managers and so far, Watt has been really different to what any of expected in that along with Alan Campbell (who sets the highest of bars) he was probably the hardest working player in the team last season - he was going off the field totally burst after most games and I had seen him in the past hardly breaking sweat. 

To me, the best evidence of his attitude is that he has lived with playing a wide attacking role for the last year with Cole and now Van Veen playing as the centre forward in our three - where I'm sure he sees himself in that role. The fact that as everyone else has said, he pulled us through games during a grim season and got the supporters POTY is all you need to know. This is now his 3rd season (2nd full season) with 'Well - interesting to see if he can keep it going.

I think this is fair. I was never as anti-Watt as some Saints fans but he clearly didn't want to be at the club by the end. I put this down to a few factors; confidence gone, and missing sitters because I think TW wanted him as a penalty box striker and I don't think that's his role, secondly I just don't think he got on with Tommy (not unusual from what I've heard) and thirdly it sounds like he's done a bit of growing up in the last couple of years. 

I don't agree he's shite, but he's a better player now than he was with us though.