Morton v Queens

57 minutes ago, virginton said:

I've no Idea how anyone looking at that video clip can be more convinced that it's a definite foul. Oliver hurdles a challenge that probably would be a foul before contact was made. If he wasn't such a shitebag and accepted a clattering, there wouldn't be an question about the decision. He did though, and I really don't have an issue with the outcome. 

That's the way I see it as well. He's seen the challenge coming and dived over the top of it. If he just tries to follow the ball he gets wiped out and it's a penalty all day long, but it looks pretty clear to me that he's taken a dive, and in the process avoided all contact. Ref gets it spot on.

A player is still entitled to avoid contact and have a foul awarded - you don't need contact to award dangerous play or violent conduct for example - but I agree that Oliver should have just taken the hit. 

I don't think a dive is the correct description but it's a standard, total shitebag effort, which is hardly surprising and worth a yellow card anyway tbh. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

A player is still entitled to avoid contact and have a foul awarded - you don't need contact to award dangerous play or violent conduct for example - but I agree that Oliver should have just taken the hit. 

I don't think a dive is the correct description but it's a standard, total shitebag effort, which is hardly surprising and worth a yellow card anyway tbh. 

Anticipating contact falls under the simulation wording in the laws, so I think dive is the correct word, tbh. He's anticipated contact and taken a tumble before it arrived.

I think it is a penalty. But Oliver makes a total meal of it.

Enjoyable.

Clearly I'm in a minority, but it looks to me like he catches Oliver and trips him, despite Oliver's attempts to hurdle the reckless lunge.
It looks like a pretty strong penalty claim to me.  I'm glad we survived it.

Disappointing. We never tested the Queens keeper enough despite creating enough (half)chances to do so.  Credit to Queens for holding on and looking dangerous on the break once they went in front. Saw the game out relatively comfortably.

Ref had a poor game. Was a certain pen for me but to book Oliver was ridiculous and then never booked 2 Queens players for doing the same thing thereafter was just classic scottish ref inconsistencies.  There were only 22 fouls all game and there were 8 bookings ffs.

We absolutely must bring 3/4 players in this week. No creativity, no players to come on and change it, no wide options, no centre mid to control a game, a small left back playing as a centre back and a poor right fullback who isn't good enough for this level.

If the 3/4 come in and are the required quality, we should be OK.

If they were in place before today,  we might have taken something but alas, the club/manager have farted about waiting on the right players/saving money and it was bound to cost us eventually.

Big week coming up.

Well done Queens.

I will wait for the highlights but going by the photos on our match report Lithgow makes contact with our keeper as he is in the process of catching it. Not sure it was enough to make him drop it into the net but usually they are so protected the foul is given immediately. 

8 yellow cards shows how little control the referee had of the game, I think he is maybe a new championship level referee for this season ? 

Edited by Broony88

34 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I will wait for the highlights but going by the photos on our match report Lithgow makes contact with our keeper as he is in the process of catching it. Not sure it was enough to make him drop it into the net but usually they are so protected the foul is given immediately. 

8 yellow cards shows how little control the referee had of the game, I think he is maybe a new championship level referee for this season ? 

Certainly never heard of that referee before so appears to be one of the new ones.

I really enjoyed the match, first one I’ve attended since lockdown and so happy to be back at Cappielow I wasn’t too despondent about the result, but that will return pretty quickly when reality bites again. I thought Queens played the better football and Gibson was unplayable on the left wing. I thought we relied too much on the long diagonal to Ugwu, bypassing the midfield far too often for my liking. I was also surprised at how shambolic our defence was. In fact you just knew Queens were going to score when they were 3 on 1 several times. I don’t understand how you only leave 1 defender back when playing a long ball game. Perhaps the manager is culpable rather than the players. The positives for me were the performance of Jimmy Knowles in his 30 minute debut, and the fact Gus should be able to persuade the board he needs to strengthen based on the evidence of this match. 

I missed this one, could’ve even manage PPV, looking forward to highlights.

Seems like we didn’t play that well but got the three points. Unlike the first two games where we played well and came away with nothing. Typical Championship.

I missed this one, could’ve even manage PPV, looking forward to highlights.
Seems like we didn’t play that well but got the three points. Unlike the first two games where we played well and came away with nothing. Typical Championship.

I think we played fine we just weren't as good as the previous two games. But I'd much rather play poorer and win than play well and lose.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

The positives for me were the performance of Jimmy Knowles in his 30 minute debut, and the fact Gus should be able to persuade the board he needs to strengthen based on the evidence of this match. 

Your big mate 'Gus' has already had three months to strengthen the squad with the budget remaining. 

He can 'wait on quality' all he wants but if we're still stuck playing the likes of Hynes on a weekly basis and asking a bunch of regens to change the game off the bench in September then it will be his fault and no-one else's.  

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Your big mate 'Gus' has already had three months to strengthen the squad with the budget remaining. 

He can 'wait on quality' all he wants but if we're still stuck playing the likes of Hynes on a weekly basis and asking a bunch of regens to change the game off the bench in September then it will be his fault and no-one else's.  

Fair comment, though Gus is no mate of mine’s, though he might be an upgrade on our previous two managers. I suppose what you’re saying is the board have already endorsed the signing of another 3 or 4 players and therefore it’s only Gus who’s delaying the signings. Hynes certainly didn’t look up to it yesterday and our midfield looks well short of a creative edge, evidenced by the regular long diagonal ball bypassing midfield, a clear admission that our midfield aren’t cutting it.

Reece Lyon was extremely disappointing.  After being kept on the bench for months, you'd think he would be fired up, but he was pretty anonymous.  I expect that means we'll have Cameron Blues starting next week.  We do need another creative midfielder anyway.  And Brian Mclean back to let Ledger move to TB where Hynes isn't good enough.  We are dreadfully weak in terms of quality and depth, with numerous youth players involved when they aren't ready for football at this level.

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

Reece Lyon was extremely disappointing.  After being kept on the bench for months, you'd think he would be fired up, but he was pretty anonymous.  I expect that means we'll have Cameron Blues starting next week.  We do need another creative midfielder anyway.  And Brian Mclean back to let Ledger move to TB where Hynes isn't good enough.  We are dreadfully weak in terms of quality and depth, with numerous youth players involved when they aren't ready for football at this level.

I'd much rather sign a decent RB and keep Ledger at CB.  Think he has performed very well there and forged a good partnership with Lithgow.

Ledger was solid at RB last season but wont offer much of an attacking threat. Ideally we need to find someone like Tumilty, especially if we are paying 352.