Afghanistan Crisis

There's some really crass and poorly-informed stuff on this thread.
I won't be getting drawn in, and will be making only this post on this thread for two reasons.
1) I know a lot of people directly involved in this and it's genuinely upsetting
2) Giving away too much would make me quite identifiable, which I don't really want to do.
Two people I have worked with for years have died in Kabul (confirmed by their parents/friends) in the last 36 hours. Both executed by the Taliban/Taliban sympathisers/ it's the same thing in the period when the Taliban were apparently 'not entering the city'.
Two women I have known for several years are missing. The brother of one of them told me she has been 'taken as a wife'. There's nothing that can be done to fix this or stop this. Her life is over. The other is completely unaccounted for, but a similar fate can be assumed.
All four of these people worked at a university in Kabul. That's it. That was their crime.

Think you will be fine. Don’t think the taliban are logging into p&b to check your location

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

More than likely but as they start to get most of the troops out the numbers balance on who is still left inside the airport perimeter starts to tip so it isn't just the Taliban they need to worry about given they are already having major issues on how to keep the runways clear. Don't forget also that the Americans have told their citizens to remain in place at this time and not attempt to travel to the airport. Why didn't they have a secret signal sorted like "White Christmas" being played on AFRN?

The UK defence secretary was saying that it's all cool because the pictures we're seeing are of the civilian part of the airport rather than the military runway that is being protected by the 6000 US and 600 UK troops they sent out. No idea what that US transporter that everyone was falling off was doing though.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The UK defence secretary was saying that it's all cool because the pictures we're seeing are of the civilian part of the airport rather than the military runway that is being protected by the 6000 US and 600 UK troops they sent out. No idea what that US transporter that everyone was falling off was doing though.

The amount of times the Yanks shoot their own allies its perfectly reasonable to think they could land on the wrong runway.

Checked it out on Google maps. There is only one runway shared by the civilian and military traffic.

Maybe people are too young to remember but the Bing Crosby song I mentioned above was the secret signal used to tell American citizens in Saigon that it was time to skedaddle and make their way to the airport.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Checked it out on Google maps. There is only one runway shared by the civilian and military traffic.

Maybe people are too young to remember but the Bing Crosby song I mentioned above was the secret signal used to tell American citizens in Saigon that it was time to skedaddle and make their way to the airport.

The D day message to the French resistance was "cradle my heart with a monotonous languor"

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That explains it.  I once organised a Christmas party and as soon as I started playing that song everybody decided to leave. 🙂

I recall around 2009, Gordon Brown was discussing how he had two options: 1. Fortress Britain; 2. Continue in Afghanistan.

At the time, I did wonder whether the strategy he picked was a winner. Most other things he’s been involved with didn’t end as he anticipated.

Total shame for the people in Afghanistan. From the news pictures it looks like the country has been pretty much rebuilt - well, at least the cities look good - so hopefully it is a relatively peaceful transition.

68DEE186-DF17-41FF-BCC0-D660E24A4779.png