SNP / Green and their Cooperation Agreement

Ric

You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. Salmond has certainly adhered to the latter of those.

He needs to be careful. His bluster and arrogance, which were once a benefit to the nationalist campaign pre-indy ref, are now looking like a liability as it leans into the classic male/pale/stale trope. The mess surrounding his court case, which he will argue he was found not guilty and that it shouldn't be held against him, his continued use of Russian state propaganda money to publicise himself, and his fairly dreadful spearheading of Alba all add up to bad optics.

He just needs to look at Galloway to see what an irrelevant parody politician looks like.

2 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

weighing it all up the Green party should of pushed for more imo, they could have got more from the deal than they have. 

Aye but Patrick and Lorna get ministerial positions.  Never underestimate the personal ambition of politicians.

28 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

with Cop26 coming up and Scotland hosting its a clear missed opportunity to have Scotland putting out a real statement of intent, that would just be the right thing to do at this time.

Just out of interest, what specific policies do you think they should have pushed for? 

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Just out of interest, what specific policies do you think they should have pushed for? 

No new oilfields as a stated SG policy going forward. I know thats reerved to westminister but the point is the SG should step up before Cop26 and set that as their policy going forward. I think that would be the right thing to do and send out a strong message as host of Cop26 and it would show real leadership.

Just my opinion but it looks like a wasted opportunity, thats not to say some of it seems good just its a bit light for what could have been.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

6 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

No new oilfields as a stated SG policy going forward. I know thats reerved to westminister but the point is the SG should step up before Cop26 and set that as their policy going forward. I think that would be the right thing to do and send out a strong message as host of Cop26 and it would show real leadership.

Just my opinion but it looks like a wasted opportunity, thats not to say some of it seems good just its a bit light for what could have been.

They're allowed to criticise Scottish Government policy as part of the deal. I think everybody knows they're against any new oilfields but it's irrelevant to Scottish Government business.

I don't think its irrelevant, climate change is the biggest topic there is. It was a chance to lead on it and the SG/Greens missed that opportunity. To me it looks like they both dont take the topic serious enough.
It's already in their manifesto.

"Call on the UK government to stop issuing new licenses for oil and gas exploration and development and end subsidies and tax breaks for the industry"

All you want is something tenuous to gripe about.

Not sure the Greens have got enough out of the agreement to a) effect real change on environmental policies b) avoid being a punching bag when targets are missed/ money thrown at oil and gas. Might be an opportunity for another pro-independence party to fill the void in the long term.

2 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Not sure the Greens have got enough out of the agreement to a) effect real change on environmental policies b) avoid being a punching bag when targets are missed/ money thrown at oil and gas. Might be an opportunity for another pro-independence party to fill the void in the long term.

Where's Alba's e-mail when you need it?