Michael Gove goes clubbing

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

Unless that pub turns out to be a Wetherspoons, that is.

I find that there is often a giveaway about whether a pub will 'turn out' to be a Wetherspoons. This is usually having a sign outside that says "Wetherspoons".

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

Unless that pub turns out to be a Wetherspoons, that is.

I find that there is often a giveaway about whether a pub will 'turn out' to be a Wetherspoons. This is usually having a sign outside that says "Wetherspoons".

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

It's not always as clearly marked as it should be.

Still the easier way to tell if it's a Wetherspoons is not to look for some branding, but to look at the clientele.

Far be it for me to defend Wetherspoons here but we bumped into a group of folk the other day who told us they'd spent the day in Yates and All Bar One so I'm gonna have to go ahead and say there are worse places to spend your Friday night.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Different clubs surely? 

In my nightclubbing days i'd never even try to pull in yer Drums, yer Palaces or yer Pelicans and i'd never expect to hear the latest techno or garage mixes in Amadeus or the West end meat markets. 

About 20 years ago I went up to Aberdeen to visit a mate. We went out and ended up in some utterly tacky shithole called "Franklin's". It was probably the second worst club that I've been to, after "The Tuxedo Princess" in Newcastle. Is it still open?

I also remember the adverts on Grampian TV for a club in Aberdeen called "Charlie's". I never went but it looked like the worst kind of hellhole imaginable.

Unfortunately most people in Scotland see these places as the pinnacle of clubbing and would never go to a proper dance music club to see/hear a respected DJ.

It’s like someone bet him a lot of money by saying “Michael you can’t do anything that makes you look more of a c*nt than you already do”.

It’s second to Prince Andrew’s interview in terms of misjudged media exposure.

28 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

About 20 years ago I went up to Aberdeen to visit a mate. We went out and ended up in some utterly tacky shithole called "Franklin's". It was probably the second worst club that I've been to, after "The Tuxedo Princess" in Newcastle. Is it still open?

I also remember the adverts on Grampian TV for a club in Aberdeen called "Charlie's". I never went but it looked like the worst kind of hellhole imaginable.

Unfortunately most people in Scotland see these places as the pinnacle of clubbing and would never go to a proper dance music club to see/hear a respected DJ.

I couldn't remember the name of any "west end meat markets" . Now i can. I think charlies was more of a bar than a club but your impression was spot on. 

It's not unique to Scotland though, there are nightclubs with commercial radio playlists and carling on tap packed out in cities the length of the UK. 

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s like someone bet him a lot of money by saying “Michael you can’t do anything that makes you look more of a c*nt than you already do”.

It’s second to Prince Andrew’s interview in terms of misjudged media exposure.

It's really not though, is it?

English voters in particular lap up the buffoonery image. It's one reason why Johnson is so popular. Comparisons to Prince Andrew seem a bit daft seeing as Gove is being accused of looking like a bellend in a nightclub but nothing illegal.

Folk will have a laugh about it and then move on.

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I couldn't remember the name of any "west end meat markets" . Now i can. I think charlies was more of a bar than a club but your impression was spot on. 

It's not unique to Scotland though, there are nightclubs with commercial radio playlists and carling on tap packed out in cities the length of the UK. 

True, I also once went a proper dance club called Pussy Galore, which I think was on Rosemount Viaduct. All that I remember was that it was close to the Kafka clothes shop and the Plan 9 comic shop. I haven't been to Aberdeen for years so I've got no idea if these places still exist.

Pussy Galore was more like it. No chart music and everybody was swedgered off their tits. It was kinda lost on the typical Montrose bumpkins that I was out with though...

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Where do people stand on the acceptability of going to music gigs alone?

If it is acceptable, what about going clubbing after the gig with new friends made during a gig that someone attended alone? 

I saw Smokie play in Uppsala Town Hall in 1999 on my own. None of my friends wanted to come. 

2 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Who the f**k are Smokie?

Turns out nobody in Sweden knew about the Roy Chubby Brown version of the song. I just assumed they did and launched into it (on my own) when they hit that chorus for the first time. Got some very odd looks and chose to not belt it out again.