Michael Gove goes clubbing

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Franklins is long gone but it was last chance saloon if you were too blootered to get in anywhere else 

Maybe you can help. I'm trying to remember the name of a pub that my mate and I went into a few times.

He lived on Victoria Road in Torry. We'd walk over the bridge and into town. There was this really dodgy looking pub on the left, across from the docks. It was like a school canteen inside. No real decoration apart from magnolia painted walls and it just had plain tables and plastic chairs. 

Looking on Google street view it appears to have been demolished to make way for the entrance to the Union Square car park, although it could have been further up the road.

I'd be pretty impressed if anybody could name this boozer.

Edited by Paul Kersey

5 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Maybe you can help. I'm trying to remember the name of a pub that my mate and I went into a few times.

He lived on Victoria Road in Torry. We'd walk over the bridge and into town. There was this really dodgy looking pub on the left, across from the docks. It was like a school canteen inside. No real decoration apart from magnolia painted walls and it just had plain tables and plastic chairs. 

Looking on Google street view it appears to have been demolished to make way for the entrance to the Union Square car park, although it could have been further up the road.

Sounds like the Schooner, maybe? Think it's a coffee shop now.

4 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

Sounds like the Schooner, maybe? Think it's a coffee shop now.

Thanks, but it wasn't the Schooner. It was across the road and maybe 100 or so yards along. 

Walking in from the Torry direction this place was on the left before you got to the Schooner.

3 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Thanks, but it wasn't the Schooner. It was across the road and maybe 100 or so yards along. 

Walking in from the Torry direction this place was on the left before you got to the Schooner.

Ah, I know where you are now and I leave you with this...

https://doriccolumns.wordpress.com/welcome/aberdeen-city/aberdeen-pubs/harbour-pubs/

1 hour ago, Ric said:

So if people are 'outraged' that I may go to a gig on my own, wait until they hear I've been to entire festivals on my own. Jinkies..

One time I spotted that Kraftwerk were playing at T in the Park so I decided to go.  Did I have a ticket?  No.  Did I have accommodation booked?  No.  Did I even know where it was?  At that time, somewhere near Kinross which was somewhere near Perth.

Once I got to Kinross, I saw a B&B that said "Vacancies".  They had a cancellation so I was able to get a room.

Then I located the festival, got parked, got a ticket and that was me.

The next day at breakfast I sat near a family who told me that you really need to book everything months in advance.  It would be crazy not to.

I just nodded in agreement.

47 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

I honestly havenae a clue  but I keep thinking the glen or harbour bar as for the schooner tremendous  morning pint before an early train journey or a first bus back to peterhead 

8 hours ago, Ric said:

So... are we allowed to post rumours of Gove and his "activities" during his callow youth in Aberdeen? There are some crackers...

As for going to a club alone? Of course, why not? You are there for the music and booze, aren't you?

No. However in a completely unrelated matter im pretty sure you would be able to tell us rumours you’d heard about an unidentified student in Aberdeen known only as MG? 

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

One time I spotted that Kraftwerk were playing at T in the Park so I decided to go.  Did I have a ticket?  No.  Did I have accommodation booked?  No.  Did I even know where it was?  At that time, somewhere near Kinross which was somewhere near Perth.

Once I got to Kinross, I saw a B&B that said "Vacancies".  They had a cancellation so I was able to get a room.

Then I located the festival, got parked, got a ticket and that was me.

The next day at breakfast I sat near a family who told me that you really need to book everything months in advance.  It would be crazy not to.

I just nodded in agreement.

I had probably the most excruciatingly embarrassing experience in my life on a similarly impromptu decision. Was walking past the Hammersmith Odeon with nothing urgent to do, and got approached by a tout with a wad of tickets. Said I wasn't interested but asked who was on. Bananarama. Still wasn't interested but when he said a fiver I thought why not. Sat surrounded by 12 year old girls watching the most raunchy simulated sex I've seen outside strip bars and left after 20 minutes.  

P.S. Saw Kraftwerk at the Manchester Velodrome with the Olympic Gold Medallist four man team going full pelt round the circuit making the odd dance moves. That was a bit special.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Paul Kersey said:

Anchorage

1 hour ago, Paul Kersey said:

Now called 210 bistro

Screenshot_2021-08-30-18-26-20-324_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

7 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Cheers mate. I'm pretty sure that's it. This place made the Schooner look like the Ritz. 

It was a decent pit stop halfway between Torry and the city centre though...

I once had a Ploughman's lunch at the Anchorage.  I guess ploughmen don't eat very much.

I used to head down to the Schooner after finishing my shift at a nightclub, this being the only place open for drink at that time in the early hours.

I was led to believe it allowed one to go on on a 24hr pub crawl, minus the half hour it took to stagger to some other establishment on the other side of town.

23 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

On the subject of Aberdeen pubs, what happened to Peep Peeps? 

It was on my bucket list. 

Long gone, as is the Crown and Anchor. Not sure if there's much left down that way aside from the Fittie.

On seeing the thread title, this image came to mind:

part.jpg.6bf60d1cdfc3525deced6c095f45b160.jpg

Edited by Scorge