Austria v Scotland

GordonS

14 hours ago, Mr Tourette said:

Just had a look back over the last 5 years of internationals from today’s date. We have played 19 away games and the only team of any standing we have beaten is the Czech Republic 2nd team in the Nations League.

The other wins were the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino, Malta, Cyprus and a decent 3-0 win in Lithuania.

I’m not sure what makes anyone think we are capable of winning in Austria, regardless of how many players they might be missing on the night

From a form and stats point of view, if we can shitfest a draw, we will be playing to expectations

Not disagreeing that winning in Austria tonight will be difficult and perhaps beyond us but we beat Czechia at home in that Nations League when they had pretty much their full team back, it wasn't just the covid game we won. It was probably the reason we were so disappointed with the Euros performance, we knew the Czechs were there for the taking. 

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ramsey and Patterson are at the same stage, where they're unlikely to be ready for an important away game against a side of Austrias quality. Nor is it really fair to put them into that situation, considering how the Scottish fanbase act.

Either go into that game and get a fucking roasting, and the entire country is calling them shite and hounding them for the rest of time. Let them develop and grow before exposing them to that, IMO.

Or they could walk into the team and boss the game, proving that they're good enough to knock run of the mill shite like Stephen O'Donnell out of our squad. Much like Billy Gilmour has done. Both Patterson and Ramsay have a swagger to their game, they're both confident guys who seem to pick themselves up well after mistakes. I feel instead of saying "oh the poor wee kid can't be exposed to that yet" we should perhaps just test them in that environment and see how they do. We think so negatively with this stuff. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Why are some folk getting wound up at fans of clubs who don't play in the same league as their own having not heard of one of their youngsters?

To be clear, I wasn't wound up, it's just not relevant to the discussion of Ramsay being called up or not. 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

I reserve the right to be critical of bad players who can’t play dead.

O’Donnell’s (and Scotland’s) performance in the game against England is on the verge of reaching mythical status. That game was an opportunity to record a famous victory against our greatest rivals who were playing abysmally, and we blew it.

O’Donnell had some nice tackles and was one of our better players, but it was clearly an outlier in his career. His performance against the Czech’s a few days earlier was one of the primary reasons we completely fucked that tournament (along with David Marshall of course). Under most managers, it would have finished his international career.

All I’d like to see is a manager pick the players that give us the best chance of winning a game, and not pick players just because he is their friend. Experience counts for nothing if you don’t have ability.

I was at the game v Moldova. Patterson first few touches were honestly abysmal against the lowest ranked team.  That is a fact. 

Yes he created the goal and deserves credit for that.  But so has SODs got assists.

Patterson was OK but no more.  If SODs had performed the same and if he does so tonight he would not be getting any plaudits nor should he, especially from Rangers fans.  In any case it is a moot point as Patterson is injured so he may well have started.

Rangers fans (in the main) would have you believe he is Cafu already...

I have no doubt he will mature into a terrific player, but as of now there is little to separate the two.  And in my opinion experience counts for as much as raw ability. 

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've never at any point said otherwise. He could be the second coming of Messi for all I know.

The point is the general incredulity from certain people that I've never heard of a guy with three League starts to his name (and another half dozen Euro ones) in a division my club don't play in and in games which were not televised (not that I'd necessarily have watched them even if they had been).

It's a bizarre thing to get annoyed at.  Not knowing a youngster in a team who don't play in your division and none of their games this season that he's played in have been on a non-ppv channel.  

It's like me not knowing who the Airdrie left winger is or something, as if I should be watching their highlights every week on YouTube.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

O’Donnell’s (and Scotland’s) performance in the game against England is on the verge of reaching mythical status. That game was an opportunity to record a famous victory against our greatest rivals who were playing abysmally, and we blew it.

O’Donnell had some nice tackles and was one of our better players, but it was clearly an outlier in his career. His performance against the Czech’s a few days earlier was one of the primary reasons we completely fucked that tournament (along with David Marshall of course). Under most managers, it would have finished his international career.

All I’d like to see is a manager pick the players that give us the best chance of winning a game, and not pick players just because he is their friend. Experience counts for nothing if you don’t have ability.

Unfortunately the very same can be said for Billy Gilmour, Yes, he has bags of potential and Yes he did have an excellent match against England, however he's now looking mediocre in a bottom end Norwich side and much the same in pat couple of Scotland matches, in fact on current form Turnbull should be in ahead of him I'd say, however we've built him up so much that there would be almost universal outrage were we to suddenly drop him.

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I was at the game v Moldova. Patterson first few touches were honestly abysmal against the lowest ranked team.  That is a fact. 

Yes he created the goal and deserves credit for that.  But so has SODs got assists.

Patterson was OK but no more.  If SODs had performed the same and if he does so tonight he would not be getting any plaudits nor should he, especially from Rangers fans.  In any case it is a moot point as Patterson is injured so he may well have started.

I have no doubt he will mature into a terrific player, but as of now there is little to separate the two.  And in my opinion experience counts for as much as raw ability. 

That is just nonsense.  I have absolutely no affinity to Rangers, and Patterson was one of the best players on the pitch. 

If SOD can drive 80 yards up the pitch and setup a goal - rather than crossing from deep, then I'd be the first to acknowledge it.

I don't even have anything against SOD - it doesn't have to be a zero sum game.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Unfortunately the very same can be said for Billy Gilmour, Yes, he has bags of potential and Yes he did have an excellent match against England, however he's now looking mediocre in a bottom end Norwich side and much the same in pat couple of Scotland matches, in fact on current form Turnbull should be in ahead of him I'd say, however we've built him up so much that there would be almost universal outrage were we to suddenly drop him.

Gilmour is an automatic pick until jack is back IMO. 

Turnbull is a totally different player and there would be more argument for him replacing mcgregor than gilmour (although I wouldn’t) 

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

That'll be controversial on here mate. The hordes don't like that kind of thinking.

No doubt, but I believe that with the Midfield options that we have that we should be controlling games as opposed to chasing shadows for 90 mins as we are quite often under SC.

Who knows, maybe it's the tactics that need to change as I firmly believe the quality is there but at the moment we're just not showing it irrespective of whether it's the players or Manager / tactics to blame.

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I don’t think I’ve interacted with you before, but you come across as a complete fanny. 

Many of the hordes think that, so don't think I'll be losing sleep over the opinion of one drone.

Edited by 2426255

7 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That'll be controversial on here mate. The hordes don't like that kind of thinking because Billy the kid is wurld class

Most of them are already on my filter list anyway so nothing i wasn't expecting.

Keeps them honest.........

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

SOD has never and will never set up a goal like Patterson was able to on Saturday night. 

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

What? Gilmour was miles ahead of everyone on the pitch on Saturday night. 

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Absolutely correct. Ok, I was a wee bit naughty in counting his sub appearances, but that was to compensate for you choosing to ignore his starting appearances in the Scottish Cup and Europa Conference League, which are many more than 3. Call it a draw.

It's not a draw though. 🙄 What you said was factually incorrect. What I said was factually correct. You called me out for "not doing my research" which is precisely what I did to find out who he was since I had never heard of him. As I said.

The England team who didn't lose a single game in the tournament, aye? Maybe they looked abysmal in that game because of how our players played.

The reason Clarke trusts O'Donnell isn't because they're pals or he likes his empire biscuits, it's because he managed him at club level for two years and helped him become one of the best full-backs in the country. He was in the Scotland squad off the back of that form even before Clarke came in as manager.

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

SOD has never and will never set up a goal like Patterson was able to on Saturday night. 

I am not really here to defend SOD as it looks like club loyalty, but I don’t think that is true. He has certainly set up chances, perhaps the striker hasn’t put them away meaning you may be factually correct.  He has also provided other assists.  I am not sure of Patterson’s record on assists.

Edited by ropy

Just now, ropy said:

I am not really here to defend SOD as it looks like club loyalty, but I don’t think that is true. He has certainly set up chances, perhaps the striker hasn’t put them away meaning you may be factually correct.  He has also provided other assist.  I am not sure of Patterson’s record on assists.

I don’t dislike SOD, generally he has been fine. I don’t even think he was as bad as made out on the Czech game - just poor offensively. 

That isn’t what I meant though, he has definitely created changes - generally crossing from deep. I meant in terms of the driving run nature of the lead up to the goal. 

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am not really here to defend SOD as it looks like club loyalty, but I don’t think that is true. He has certainly set up chances, perhaps the striker hasn’t put them away meaning you may be factually correct.  He has also provided other assist.  I am not sure of Patterson’s record on assists.

He's talking about an assist with such energy, pace and directness. It's not really an assist though as he shot on goal and to be fair O'Donnell has had a couple of damn good, if different assists.

Edited by 2426255

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's a bizarre thing to get annoyed at.  Not knowing a youngster in a team who don't play in your division and none of their games this season that he's played in have been on a non-ppv channel.  

It's like me not knowing who the Airdrie left winger is or something, as if I should be watching their highlights every week on YouTube.

Or should that be the Airdrie right-winger.........