Austria v Scotland

GordonS

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Unless they wanted to be really ballsy with Gilmour, there wasn't much opportunity to call him up imo:

September 2019 matches: he'd played fewer than 10 minutes of professional football

October 2019: around 100

November 2019: just under 2 matches' worth of minutes

March 2020: the games were obviously cancelled but I think he should've been called up for the play-off(s). Gemmill said he'd be staying with the u21s though

September 2020: injured

October 2020: injured

November 2020: just back from an injury so was put in u21s (where he didn't start) to help build fitness

March 2021: should've been called up but as far as I remember was almost completely out of the picture at Chelsea

Euros: first call-up

Since Strachan left, I think we've been fairly quick to get the best youngsters with the first team. Turnbull and Gilmour were a couple of months too late and there might have been a shout for Patterson in March 2021 too, but the very best (and even the very average under McLeish) tend to get a sniff fairly early. Doig, Hickey and Ramsay are hopefully the next lot but there are obviously difficulties with each of them (terrific prospects or terrific players already in their positions).

Away, he should have been in the squad ages before he was.

Which has been proven by how good he's been as soon as he has been.

Incedently he would never even have been called up if it hadn't had been for all the call offs.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Nope, never heard of him. Not sure why this is causing such incredulity. What constitutes 'regularly' up Aberdeen way? He has a career total of 3 League starts, all of which were last month and plays in the Premiership, a League my club dont play in.

He may be the next Andy Robertson but chances are I hadnt heard of him after half a dozen senior games either.

This may also surprise you. Calvin Ramsay has 17 first team starts for Aberdeen. Nathan Patterson has 17 starts for Rangers.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

This is first rate nonsense.  Ethan Ampadu has 27 caps for Wales at the age of 20.  He had 13 caps whilst having played 12 senior games for Chelsea. 

We continuously fail to give youth a chance, even when it was so very obvious that they were capable.  How Gilmour is capable of playing Champions League football, and bossing a strong Liverpool team, but only good enough for Scotland, Scotland!, u21s shows exactly what we are.

Nobody is making out Patterson to be the next Cafu or Zambrotta, but he's quite some bit better than SOD, Paterson, and any number of other available right backs. Young players make mistakes, whether they are playing 40 games a season, or 10.  Patterson is demonstrably the best right back we have but it is possible to recognise that and still think that SOD should start against Denmark and Austria.

That noted, we threw in SOD against Peru and Mexico with zero international experience and having not long finished played for Luton Town.  I'd politely suggest that playing 80 games against Carlisle doesn't provide much in the way of preparation for international football. 

No, no, no he isn't. 

Patterson has not been streched in any single game of senior football that he's played. How you can possibly say that makes him 'demonstrably the best right back we have' is utterly beyond me. 

In, admitably, a limited period of games, Ramsey has been by far and away the most impressive young full back. Pace, composure, ball retention, passing ability, and most crucially, an ability to defend. 

But even then, I'd still have SoD in the Scotland side. But I'd have Ramsey as back up, before everybody else. 

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:
7 hours ago, 2426255 said:
Do you know what striker it was? I had meant to ask you previously.

Leigh Griffiths. I wish I was kidding.

I've seen this floating around a few places. LG was there... along with the entire Dundee team as we were playing Hearts in a bounce game. It absolutely was just a coincidence.

Having said that if Griffiths starts banging the goals in for Dundee then Clarke may not be able to ignore him due to his lack of options. Of course by then it won't matter as we'll probably be eliminated from contention by then.

I know it’s not relevant to today’s game at all but thought I’d ask anyway. As an SSC Member I’ve bought tickets for all 3 home games (Moldova, Israel and Denmark) and shows on my account that I have 0 loyalty points, does anyone know when they will be added or should they be there already? Cheers[emoji1360]🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

7 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

No, no, no he isn't. 

Patterson has not been streched in any single game of senior football that he's played. How you can possibly say that makes him 'demonstrably the best right back we have' is utterly beyond me. 

In, admitably, a limited period of games, Ramsey has been by far and away the most impressive young full back. Pace, composure, ball retention, passing ability, and most crucially, an ability to defend. 

But even then, I'd still have SoD in the Scotland side. But I'd have Ramsey as back up, before everybody else. 

No offence, but it's hard to accept your view as unbiased.

4 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

I know it’s not relevant to today’s game at all but thought I’d ask anyway. As an SSC Member I’ve bought tickets for all 3 home games (Moldova, Israel and Denmark) and shows on my account that I have 0 loyalty points, does anyone know when they will be added or should they be there already? Cheersemoji1360.png🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

They'll add the Moldova one sometime in the next week or so. If it's not updated on your account in a few weeks if you email them they usually get back to you in a day or two.

I've seen this floating around a few places. LG was there... along with the entire Dundee team as we were playing Hearts in a bounce game. It absolutely was just a coincidence.
Having said that if Griffiths starts banging the goals in for Dundee then Clarke may not be able to ignore him due to his lack of options. Of course by then it won't matter as we'll probably be eliminated from contention by then.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Patterson has played, and played well, in Europa League knockouts and Old Firm matches.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the best RB we have. I really like Ramsay though and I’d have him as a rotational option in the squad ahead of O’Donnell. That boy will go places.

Edited by G51

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Patterson has played, and played well, in Europa League knockouts and Old Firm matches.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the best RB we have. I really like Ramsay though and I’d have him as a rotational option in the squad ahead of O’Donnell. That boy will go places.

Meaningless.

Its all about league starts m8.  According to the borders fowk.

Why are some folk getting wound up at fans of clubs who don't play in the same league as their own having not heard of one of their youngsters?

I'd never heard of Lewis Vaughan until the start of last season when his club and the one I support first played in the same division, but apparently he's the best player in the Championship.  Folk are starting individual threads on him getting injured and I'm sat here like -

No Idea Reaction GIF by Bounce

He's also played, and played badly, against Alashkert and Moldova.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I bow to your superior knowledge of Aberdeen’s starting line ups from last season. 

Is that code for you can't because you made it up? Or failed to realise substitute appearances are not starts in your eagerness to get on here and tell me I was wrong?

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He's also played, and played badly, against Alashkert and Moldova.

Such is the nature of being a young player. I’ve seen O’Donnell have much worse games for club and country and he’s an experienced pro.

Pattersons ceiling and his floor are higher than O’Donnell’s. If we were going into a big game, I have no doubt over which one I’d start with. The inconsistency is part of being a young guy, but I’d sooner take my chances with a kid that might win the game (as he did v Moldova) than a guy who can’t. 

As for Ramsay v O’Donnell, it might come too early for Ramsay. But again, I’d sooner play someone who might be good than someone who isn’t. Ramsay has plenty about him to suggest he’d be capable of handling the step up.

All of the above IMO, of course.

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

Such is the nature of being a young player. I’ve seen O’Donnell have much worse games for club and country and he’s an experienced pro.

Pattersons ceiling and his floor are higher than O’Donnell’s. If we were going into a big game, I have no doubt over which one I’d start with. The inconsistency is part of being a young guy, but I’d sooner take my chances with a kid that might win the game (as he did v Moldova) than a guy who can’t. 

As for Ramsay v O’Donnell, it might come too early for Ramsay. But again, I’d sooner play someone who might be good than someone who isn’t. Ramsay has plenty about him to suggest he’d be capable of handling the step up.

All of the above IMO, of course.

Rangers fan wants Rangers player to start for Scotland shocker…

I don’t even think SOD has been playing that well for Motherwell. So I am not a Motherwell fan who wants Motherwell player to start for Scotland. 

All that said he was very good v England which shows what he is capable of. Is possibly a better defender that Patterson and WAY more experienced. 

What is important is Clarke clarifying that McGinn was 3rd choice after Ralston and Liam Palmer. 

SODs would have started tonight and may well continue to do so until end of this campaign based on league form etc. For the next campaign I fully expect Patterson, Ralston and Ramsay to battle it out. 

So if Rangers fans can be a wee bit more patient…..and less critical of SODs. Nah thought not 🤷‍♂️