South of Scotland League general chat

9 hours ago, Jamie92 said:

I don’t remember Darvel “battering” St Cuthberts last year. Was a lot closer than what people in the juniors thought 💀 

But I guess it’s just another one who has their west tinted glasses on and disregards the south… all because their champion isn’t licensed 😭😭😭

As an aside, "the juniors"?

Best wishes to Creetown should they make it, incidentally. I would fancy travelling down for that.

On 11/04/2023 at 12:16, Jamie92 said:

Aww the west juniors won’t have a team in the promotion playoffs this year so turn on the south 😂 mind we were involved first while you dinosaurs didn’t want anything to do with the pyramid. Now you come over and want to dictate to everyone how it should be. At least some of our teams are showing ambition and are more prepared while others are just happy being in the west league and don’t want to progress. 

With respect, "you dinosaurs" was not reflective of every junior side or committee. Nor am I certain every South team were readily able to be promoted.

Critiquing what went on before will not improve the pyramid now.

Edited by Josuke Higashikata

8 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Linlithgow beat St Cuthberts 9-0 in the Scottish this season.

As Rockson says, this is a completely different St Cuthbert Wanderers side from last season. Their manager, coaches and almost all their players left at the end of last season, a lot going up a level, including... 

On 12/04/2023 at 22:49, HorseyGhirl said:

The Star no.14 did finish both quite sweetly.

Complete lack of quality on show.

My eyes are bleeding. 

...former Saints striker Dale Milligan scored both of the goals for Dalbeattie. 

Judging by your match report Horsey, I'm glad I decided not to go. I agree with your assessment of the coaching at Saints. It can't be easy having to rebuild a team from scratch at that level, especially when you come to the league from outwith the region and probably dont know most of the players, but I've not been impressed by Josh Gardner.

19 minutes ago, Josuke Higashikata said:

With respect, "you dinosaurs" was not reflective of every junior side or committee. Nor am I certain every South team were readily able to be promoted.

Critiquing what went on before will not improve the pyramid now.

I agree. It’s the amount of flack the league gets from the west. Absolute nonsense most the time as they hardly know anything about the league but will happily slag it off because it’s “in the way” 😂

Let’s be honest, it comes down to player pool and money. Both are limited in this region, we’ve already lost a number of clubs (YMCA, Heston in recent) due to this. More players to choose from the closer you are to the central belt. Though the clubs that are still around battle on with their small committees and get the facilities up to scratch as much as they can. I’m actually not too sure if any of our clubs are paying players this season, I know a few were last year but stopped. 

Yet who knows what happens in the future, and yes it is somehow likely that we will have to merge in some way unless we have a big influx of clubs. But that’s a few years away yet, so we will just have to enjoy the pyramid the way it is for a few more years 🙃

31 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

As Rockson says, this is a completely different St Cuthbert Wanderers side from last season. Their manager, coaches and almost all their players left at the end of last season, a lot going up a level, including... 

...former Saints striker Dale Milligan scored both of the goals for Dalbeattie. 

Judging by your match report Horsey, I'm glad I decided not to go. I agree with your assessment of the coaching at Saints. It can't be easy having to rebuild a team from scratch at that level, especially when you come to the league from outwith the region and probably dont know most of the players, but I've not been impressed by Josh Gardner.

This saints side are rotten, them and Star have been abysmal this year. What happened to Richie maxwells star side? Bring back those days with Russell Currie running riot. They will be joining this league soon it looks like. 

As for Saints, the manager must of thought the league were the same standard as Glasgow Saturday amateurs with the players he signed, how wrong could he be. Signing players from AS Airdrie and thinking they would work at this level? Seen better in the Dumfries Sunday league than that.

Both squads need a clear out, saints especially. They could bring back Jordan, wasn’t very well liked by some people but done a good job. Not sure how it will work for Star, probably lose most their squad too, can’t see some of them boys wanting to play south football especially Cox & Kilpatrick 

9 hours ago, Jamie92 said:

I agree. It’s the amount of flack the league gets from the west. Absolute nonsense most the time as they hardly know anything about the league but will happily slag it off because it’s “in the way” 😂

Let’s be honest, it comes down to player pool and money. Both are limited in this region, we’ve already lost a number of clubs (YMCA, Heston in recent) due to this. More players to choose from the closer you are to the central belt. Though the clubs that are still around battle on with their small committees and get the facilities up to scratch as much as they can. I’m actually not too sure if any of our clubs are paying players this season, I know a few were last year but stopped. 

Yet who knows what happens in the future, and yes it is somehow likely that we will have to merge in some way unless we have a big influx of clubs. But that’s a few years away yet, so we will just have to enjoy the pyramid the way it is for a few more years 🙃

Yup, I understand. Plus it is hard to forget the behaviour of those who spent so long boasting that the juniors were the better product and that we did not need a pyramid.

We move forwards now, I am pleased to say.

15 hours ago, Jamie92 said:

This saints side are rotten, them and Star have been abysmal this year. What happened to Richie maxwells star side? Bring back those days with Russell Currie running riot. They will be joining this league soon it looks like. 

As for Saints, the manager must of thought the league were the same standard as Glasgow Saturday amateurs with the players he signed, how wrong could he be. Signing players from AS Airdrie and thinking they would work at this level? Seen better in the Dumfries Sunday league than that.

Both squads need a clear out, saints especially. They could bring back Jordan, wasn’t very well liked by some people but done a good job. Not sure how it will work for Star, probably lose most their squad too, can’t see some of them boys wanting to play south football especially Cox & Kilpatrick 

The last i heard Russell Currie was sunning himself in Australia.  Richie Maxwell's Star side decided on mass that they needed a new challenge for reasons only known to themselves(££££)

Always thought it was a bit curious South teams bringing in players and Management from Ayrshire/Central belt. To an extent i understand the Star and Gretna in the Lowland doing it, one step below league 2. How many locals are in the QOS, Annan or Stranraer league teams?  There seems to be plenty of youth football in the area so do the clubs have no patient with youngsters and wanting intstant success or the experience or interest at bringing the youngsters from youth to senior level?  Or is it the" he's fae Glasgae he must be guid" mentality. Am sure some of these young boys must be wondering why they are not getting a chance. 

Am sure local supporters don't really want to watch a team from the central belt masquerading as there own

25 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Don't forget Glasgow Wellington. They still seem pretty confident it's happening.

Please God let the clubs see the light and keep these charlatans as far away from the south as possible.

They are not interested in the SOS only in pushing their image. Think FC Podcast in the LL land.

Any club with Glasgow in its name is to be viewed with suspicion.

Please, please anyone who reads this warn your clubs.

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Please God let the clubs see the light and keep these charlatans as far away from the south as possible.

They are not interested in the SOS only in pushing their image. Think FC Podcast in the LL land.

Any club with Glasgow in its name is to be viewed with suspicion.

Please, please anyone who reads this warn your clubs.

It will be close. 
This my kinda guess from what I hear: 

Possible no’s: Stranraer, Creetown, Wigtown & B, Lochar Thistle

Possible Yes’s: Abbey Vale, Dalbeattie, Uppers, Nithsdale, Saints, Caley Braves 

No Idea: Mids, Newton S, Lochmaben 

We will know by beginning of may I believe. 

21 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

It will be close. 

The concern is that there are clubs who vote yes primarily to stop numbers decreasing to where the league possibly becomes unviable. This club only started in 2020 and have no roots in any community. A bit like the podcast team they have a strong media presence.

Of course I could be wrong, but first question I would ask would be; why as a Glasgow based club are they not applying for the WOS League?

41 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Of course I could be wrong, but first question I would ask would be; why as a Glasgow based club are they not applying for the WOS League?

To channel John McEnroe, you cannot be serious?

A Castle Douglas based club applied to the WOS league twelve months ago and you have backed that decision to the hilt. They've been busy playing Campbeltown Pupils in the biggest joke of a 'regional' game in the entire pyramid. Actions, meet inevitable consequences. 

Threave drove a coach and horses through the unofficial working boundary between the two leagues for their proclaimed self-interest. There's no reason why other clubs shouldn't be allowed to apply the exact same logic to themselves then. 

Edited by vikingTON

First great to see a good number of posters on the South page, let's try and keep it going. If Creetown as reported will be playing in the play-off let's keep the interest going till then and get a decent crowd down at Castlecary.

Some interesting comments from @DG.Roma @rockson and @Sermani.

I lived and coached in North Lanarkshire for over 20 years and not aware of a club called AS Airdrie, definitely not one of the big names. Management seems to have bought into the idea that it would be easy down here, lazy management and feel questions should be asked of Saints Committee who must have sanctioned the appointment. How hard would it have been to have had open trials for local players.

As far as I'm aware a no. of Dalbeattie players left to go to Threave and a no. of the Saints squad are now at Dalbeattie. Does seem bit strange to drop from tier 5 to 10 and a big ask for tier 6 players to compete successfully at tier 5. Answers as to what the thinking was please.

Saints as stated are poor and definitely lacking decent coaching. No game plan or a proper team setup on the park. Hard to judge overall quality of players on few games I've seen.

Dalbeattie as a Tier 5 team were quite frankly shocking. No 1st touch, passing awful, movement on and off the ball non-existent and as with Saints no apparent game plan.

Have seen quite a few of the new tier 10 teams in the West and the quality and coaching from what I've seen is superior.

For a while it was looking bad for Threave 're promotion. In the autumn they lost 3 in 4 and were trailing in 4th for a while. Hard to tell how beneficial it was to them that they played Kilsyth Athletic and West Park after they were both promoted. I do feel they thought it would be a dawdle against the boys clubs and ammies in Div 4 of the West. 4 defeats in 22 games and finishing 3rd suggests otherwise.

We need to stop deriding other teams and leagues in this country. The Div 4 new boys and south teams have taken some scalps in cup games. 

Show some respect.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

To channel John McEnroe, you cannot be serious?

A Castle Douglas based club applied to the WOS league twelve months ago and you have backed that decision to the hilt. They've been busy playing Campbeltown Pupils in the biggest joke of a 'regional' game in the entire pyramid. Actions, meet inevitable consequences. 

Threave drove a coach and horses through the unofficial working boundary between the two leagues for their proclaimed self-interest. There's no reason why other clubs shouldn't be allowed to apply the exact same logic to themselves then. 

Hi mate been a while.

There is no boundary between the West and South official or unofficial as per both League's Constitutions. 

Threave are an established club who dropped 4 tiers, reason being they felt their future was better served in the West. They took a big risk which almost backfired.

Dukes are a 2 year old internet club who are using the SOS for an agenda. Do they think they can come down here get a licence, win the league and maybe sneak a win in the play-offs? That would make sense.

According to what we read on the non league forums all going well anybody in Glasgow who wishes will have a Sosfl club to support from next season.

Glasgow Wellington i hear will be sharing with Glasgow United (formerly known as Shettleston Juniors) at Greenfield Park astro turf.

Conspiracy theorists might asked, are Glasgow United Wosfl and Glasgow Wellington Sosfl parallel football teams.

11 hours ago, Jamie92 said:

It will be close. 

I know these are guesses, but I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if Newton Stewart voted yes. Saints if they do vote yes will have sullied the achievements of Bill Kirk and Willie McKenzie and Caley Braves will do anything to further their own agenda as proven in the past!  

As a lifelong South fan, I would urge clubs to give the clubs down here a chance to keep providing a decent standard of football for youngsters in this area .

Don't let yourselves be used by every opportunist that comes along! 

7 hours ago, info said:

I know these are guesses, but I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if Newton Stewart voted yes. Saints if they do vote yes will have sullied the achievements of Bill Kirk and Willie McKenzie and Caley Braves will do anything to further their own agenda as proven in the past!  

As a lifelong South fan, I would urge clubs to give the clubs down here a chance to keep providing a decent standard of football for youngsters in this area .

Don't let yourselves be used by every opportunist that comes along! 

Can I suggest that fans of each club insist their committees do due diligence and find out why this club feels their place is in the South League as opposed to the West.

They may well be genuine but be certain about it before letting them in.

20 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Dalbeattie as a Tier 5 team were quite frankly shocking. No 1st touch, passing awful, movement on and off the ball non-existent and as with Saints no apparent game plan.

My brother lived for a while in Dalbeattie (well before Lowland League days) and he went along once to watch them. He described the football as 'agricultural'. That was many moons ago though.