Faroe Islands v Scotland

4 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

onside ?

😂 never even occurred to me that was a typo. I was desperately trying to work out what you thought he might have been "inside"?

He was nothing like offside. There were at least 2 defenders and a goalkeeper between him and goal when Patterson crossed it. The doubt was whether it hit his arm.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I thought Dykes was excellent and see his all round game improving.  His hold up play was near perfect but the timing of his runs in front of the defender has been spot on. Both goals came from them. Then to see him bet his man and get a shot off is something I hadn’t seen from him before.  Talking with my Aussie mate about their two Scots, Boyle and Souttar who are both doing well.  Would have been interesting to see Boyle alongside Dykes.   Could have been with either country

42 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yep, his lack of a defensive skillset has a negative effect on our team. I have a few examples from last night - want me to share them with you?

He's got 8 caps, we've won 5, lost 1 and kept 5 clean sheets.  2 of the 5 goals conceded in the 8 games were direct free kicks.

Doesn't seem that negative an impact to me.

4 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

I thought Dykes was excellent and see his all round game improving.  His hold up play was near perfect but the timing of his runs in front of the defender has been spot on. Both goals came from them. Then to see him bet his man and get a shot off is something I hadn’t seen from him before.  Talking with my Aussie mate about their two Scots, Boyle and Souttar who are both doing well.  Would have been interesting to see Boyle alongside Dykes.   Could have been with either country

I had no idea that Harry Souttar had switched to Australia. Not sure how that passed me by up to now. I know Boyle was playing for them.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

That pic looks very dodgy but who caresad0dc42b6ceadde6cea09c198f36ec5d.jpg

All this picture shows is that the ball was sort of near his arm at some point. The replays don't shed too much light, but it looks like it hit his chest to me, and there's certainly no way they conclusively show it hitting his arm, which is why we survived the lengthy VAR check.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think we have had the rub of the green in general throughout the group with VAR and others teams (Austria) having injuries to their players etc. 

I'd say VAR has prevented bad luck rather than providing good luck. If the penalty v Austria and equaliser v Israel had been given in the first instance without VAR then no-one would have batted an eyelid. I won't pretend I wasn't sweating at the time, but looking at last night's one objectively it would have been pretty wild if VAR had overturned it given the available evidence. 

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😂 never even occurred to me that was a typo. I was desperately trying to work out what you thought he might have been "inside"?

He was nothing like offside. There were at least 2 defenders and a goalkeeper between him and goal when Patterson crossed it. The doubt was whether it hit his arm.

Cheers

40 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

The Faroes looked far better than what I was expecting.  Was it us making them look good?.  Partly and they are also genuinely better than I thought after Hampden. 

The Faroes looked much better than Scotland did in the first half. Some of their passing and movement was really good, whilst ours looked awkward at best.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I had no idea that Harry Souttar had switched to Australia. Not sure how that passed me by up to now. I know Boyle was playing for them.

I remember someone on the ‘ramblings’ here a few years ago was going on about him big style. That he should have been capped then because he would be our best defender.  Not sure about that but his career is on the upward

44 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

The Faroes looked far better than what I was expecting.  Was it us making them look good?.  Partly and they are also genuinely better than I thought after Hampden. 

Good result. Abject display but in contrast to some recent campaigns this team goes for 90 minutes. Or 96. Credit for that lads and look where we are now because of it. Wasn't  a fan of Stevie Clarke at the Euros and again last night the changes were half an hour too late. But fair play to him for where we are now in terms of qualifying

I think it’s a bit of both to be fair, we played badly but I think they are a better side than they get credit for.

Our game there seems to be similar to their game against Denmark, so I think it is the case they have become a hard side to break down at least. we aren’t the only team that have found it hard to score there.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure what that means. 

Were we happy that we qualified for the Euros ? Yes, of course. 

Were we happy that when we got there and looked like wee boys at a big boys party, and didn't do the country justice once again ? Well, I would hope not. 

There's long been a perception of Scottish football fans as 'just being happy to get there'. I'm sure you're not suggesting that. 

Actually I'd be more than happy if 'just getting there' becomes the norm over 'never getting there'. Because eventually when you keep getting there you'll probably find yourself getting a few wins and doing more than just making up numbers. 

I think there's a particularly high ceiling for a lot of these players and the squad in general and what's clear is we're now in our best qualification campaign in about 20 years or more. And we'll get better. 

14 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think it’s a bit of both to be fair, we played badly but I think they are a better side than they get credit for.

Our game there seems to be similar to their game against Denmark, so I think it is the case they have become a hard side to break down at least. we aren’t the only team that have found it hard to score there.

I think what is clear is that the likes of the Faroes have really come on in footballing terms over the last few years. Possibly following the lead of iceland in terms of investment in facilities etc?

OK, maybe away from home they still struggle sometimes, but deffinately at home they have found what works for them doesn't.

Boyle's an annoying one to have missed out on, especially as he could've been a RWB option back then and now. Forrest, Fraser and Boyle would've been magic wide options once upon a time.

23 minutes ago, andrewh said:

The Faroes looked much better than Scotland did in the first half. Some of their passing and movement was really good, whilst ours looked awkward at best.

That's all about expectations though. You expect the Faroes to be shite, so them being average makes them seem brilliant. You expect Scotland to be good so us being average makes us seem poor. The Faroes were well-organised and had some nice patterns occasionally, but they were generally very wasteful when they had the ball and must have passed it out of play about 10 times in the first half alone.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's all about expectations though. You expect the Faroes to be shite, so them being average makes them seem brilliant. You expect Scotland to be good so us being average makes us seem poor. The Faroes were well-organised and had some nice patterns occasionally, but they were generally very wasteful when they had the ball and must have passed it out of play about 10 times in the first half alone.

They've made the very best of what is available to them.  They train and play on a plastic pitch, which almost definitely has the shortest dimensions allowable under FIFA and UEFA competition.

It's not surprising that they are hard to beat.  Discipline, solidity, and resilience will go a long way, especially when on an unusual surface and small pitch.  Other countries could learn a lot from what they have done.

28 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
57 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Boyle's an annoying one to have missed out on, especially as he could've been a RWB option back then and now. Forrest, Fraser and Boyle would've been magic wide options once upon a time.

Meh, I can't say I've wasted one single second lamenting on missing out on Boyle. He's in the form of his life right now and he still wouldn't be in front of O'Donnell or Patterson for me as a "wing back". That's before we consider Fraser or Forrest. He'd be a squad filler and occasional appearance at most. A bit like Shankland.

Given our centre back options behind Hanley and Hendrie though Souttar could, in time, have been an option.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Actually I'd be more than happy if 'just getting there' becomes the norm over 'never getting there'. Because eventually when you keep getting there you'll probably find yourself getting a few wins and doing more than just making up numbers

I think there's a particularly high ceiling for a lot of these players and the squad in general and what's clear is we're now in our best qualification campaign in about 20 years or more. And we'll get better. 

We used to get there very regularly and still never did anything other than make up the numbers.

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh, I can't say I've wasted one single second lamenting on missing out on Boyle. He's in the form of his life right now and he still wouldn't be in front of O'Donnell or Patterson for me as a "wing back". That's before we consider Fraser or Forrest. He'd be a squad filler and occasional appearance at most. A bit like Shankland.

Given our centre back options behind Hanley and Hendrie though Souttar could, in time, have been an option.

Don’t know about wing back.   One of the first names on the team sheet for the Aussies up front. 5 goals in 9 games.