VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It's new technology to Scottish Football.

That's not a reason for it to go badly. Businesses use new technology all the time, and well-run businesses simply train their staff to use it before they're going to be making an arse of it in the real world.

The company I work for is in the fire safety business. We use new things all the time. We would never accept an argument that 'It's ok if this is a shambles, because we've never used it before'. You use the experiences of others who have used it, you train staff thoroughly, and you expect competence from those using it.

Incredible that this far into VAR some people are still prepared to use the excuse of 'teething problems'. They've been using it in other leagues and cups for years now. What do you think we can't be prepared for?

We don't even need to focus on elite leagues. Have we had people talking to the leagues and clubs in places like Korea and Australia that have been using it for ages?

There is absolutely no excuse here.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

That's not a reason for it to go badly. Businesses use new technology all the time, and well-run businesses simply train their staff to use it before they're going to be making an arse of it in the real world.

The company I work for is in the fire safety business. We use new things all the time. We would never accept an argument that 'It's ok if this is a shambles, because we've never used it before'. You use the experiences of others who have used it, you train staff thoroughly, and you expect competence from those using it.

Incredible that this far into VAR some people are still prepared to use the excuse of 'teething problems'. They've been using it in other leagues and cups for years now. What do you think we can't be prepared for?

We don't even need to focus on elite leagues. Have we had people talking to the leagues and clubs in places like Korea and Australia that have been using it for ages?

You'd think they could have sent some of the refs down to Stockley Park to see what it's like etc.

Seen a few articles this season saying "x's goal against Celtic/Rangers would have been disallowed by VAR", most recent being St Johnstone's equaliser against Celtic. Haven't seen any of those articles about games not including those 2, which is setting VAR up nicely.

5 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Seen a few articles this season saying "x's goal against Celtic/Rangers would have been disallowed by VAR", most recent being St Johnstone's equaliser against Celtic. Haven't seen any of those articles about games not including those 2, which is setting VAR up nicely.

Are they going to use it to imagine something wrong?

I cannot think of a single thing wrong with the Saints goal and I've seen it about 7 times?

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Are they going to use it to imagine something wrong?

I cannot think of a single thing wrong with the Saints goal and I've seen it about 7 times?

A slight shirt tug as the ball went into the box; even the player didn't claim for the foul but you better believe it would have been disallowed.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm just reading the article and I don't see anywhere that Maxwell says that the staff haven't been trained.

I also don't see anywhere that Maxwell says that they didn't bother looking at previous experiences of VAR rollouts across the world.

The problem is when users are exposed to a new system. They can uncover bugs with use that wasn't accounted for during testing or they can have a lack of understanding at what the technology does and how it should be applied.

The players and managers of clubs aren't staff but users. You can educate users all you want but unfortunately it won't stop initial misunderstandings. That education only comes with real world experience.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

A slight shirt tug as the ball went into the box; even the player didn't claim for the foul but you better believe it would have been disallowed.

Really pathetic how they are looking to complain about a goal just because it’s scored against one of the old firm. If that had been scored for Celtic you could be sure it would never get a mention.

This is going to be interesting.

3 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Saw that on the BBC gossip page, right after Maxwell's piece and immediately thought it's a brilliant way to sell the VAR concept to fans. Highlighting how the poor Old Firm are being harshly treated by refs is a guaranteed way to get folk on your side and quell the thoughts that they'll actually get even more decisions than they currently do. 

Also, by elevating 'teething troubles' to 'could be horrendous' it also looks as if Maxwell's found Stewart Regan's hyperbole notebook. 

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I would be astounded if they've had the foresight.

Well yeah, but you've absolutely no idea if they have or haven't. I'm against VAR in Scottish football as much as anyone, but there's no point in simply making things up.