VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

More than likely just sour grapes but sure there's been a few instances of managers saying they asked a ref about a decision after the game and were shrugged off.

I imagine "asked" could be replaced with "verbally abused" though.

You only ever hear one side of these stories, and it's always presented as though the manager was asking it as a "excuse me please mr referee please could you please speak to me please" rather than what is often the reality.

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You only ever hear one side of these stories, and it's always presented as though the manager was asking it as a "excuse me please mr referee please could you please speak to me please" rather than what is often the reality.

100%. If I was a ref I'd absolutely rile up managers by being petulant to them if they approached me all guns blazing with verbals.

19 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

That is pretty cool and a good example of when it works.

We're never seeing that.

We will see that. 

It’s disingenuous to say we’ll not see any examples of VAR working well. Of course we will, and it will improve the accuracy of decision making marginally. 

The debate should really be about the wider impact it has on the game, particularly for match going fans and is it worth it. 

Spoiler - it’s 100% not 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

100%. If I was a ref I'd absolutely rile up managers by being petulant to them if they approached me all guns blazing with verbals.

Or you could just be professional and do the job, treating people in a calm polite manner, and if they overstep by being abusive, red card them and write them up in your report. Refs really shouldn't be in that job if they can't handle all situations and remain calm. They're the ones with the power and authority, so absolutely no need for them to act like power hungry p***ks further winding up players and managers with stand offish attitudes.

23 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

👏 talking through the key points in calm concise manner. 

They also need to start making this public for all games as well. I'm not saying because it's corrupt or anything but transparency is key and frankly shouldn't be up for debate. 

Will our referees communicate that coherently though?

Saw a clip a while back of an Australian game where the ref was mic'd up and you could hear everything he was saying, opposition player was standing over the ball stopping a quick free kick being taken and the ref quickly asked him what he thought he was doing, continuing in a nice calm manner, come on now mate, it's quite simple, if it's your free kick you can stand over the ball, but if it isn't you walk away and allow it to be taken, otherwise i'll have to book you, ok now lets get on with the game. Something like that anyway, no sarcasm or school teacher voice being used, he was really polite but firm while sounding laid back with his approach. If only our Refs could be like that. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Or you could just be professional and do the job, treating people in a calm polite manner, and if they overstep by being abusive, red card them and write them up in your report. Refs really shouldn't be in that job if they can't handle all situations and remain calm. They're the ones with the power and authority, so absolutely no need for them to act like power hungry p***ks further winding up players and managers with stand offish attitudes.

I said what I'd do as a ref in that scenario. Thankfully, I am not one.

For what it's worth, I absolutely believe that refs should be able to treat players and/or managers the way they themselves are treated by them as long as they still carry out the core functions of their role.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I said what I'd do as a ref in that scenario. Thankfully, I am not one.

For what it's worth, I absolutely believe that refs should be able to treat players and/or managers the way they themselves are treated by them as long as they still carry out the core functions of their role.

Yeah by that i hope you mean invoking the punishment required to deal with any rule that has been breached, they're in a position of power where they should remain calm and polite, and don't need to be reacting in a like for like manner, being aggressive back etc.  

30 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah by that i hope you mean invoking the punishment required to deal with any rule that has been breached, they're in a position of power where they should remain calm and polite, and don't need to be reacting in a like for like manner, being aggressive back etc.  

Nah, I'd have a lot more respect for a ref if I see him tell a manager or player to beat it if they approach them aggressively rather than remain calm and polite in an attempt to get them to see the error of their ways.

This is a completely unrealistic of any human being in any role. Furthermore, there are conflicting desires for what people expect from referees. If they don't explain every decision they're described as standoffish, unwilling to speak to the players, robotic and all the rest of it. If they do try to explain their decisions, you have players coming out in the media and twisting their words to make them sound like the bad guy (see Ryan Edwards's sobbing in The Courier about Kevin Clancy the other night).

Every referee is different, just like every player is different. Some of them are more confident in speaking to the players and stuff and will do it more than others, but these same ones might occasionally talk themselves into trouble by being too "bantery". You even see people coming out and whinging about referees having a laugh and a joke with players on the pitch. The referee is there to apply the laws of the game, there is no obligation or expectation for them to explain any decision to players or coaches, either during or after the game. They do it because they think they owe the players that respect, but they get absolutely none of that respect back from a massive chunk of people involved in football.

If you think that every person with any sort of character flaw "shouldn't be in that job", then good luck ever being able to go and watch Livi ever again because there would most likely be exactly zero referees left in the country.

On 20/10/2022 at 14:18, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Beaton has a reputation for being quite petulant and rude. 

Allegedly anyway. Even if approached in a calm manner he just refuses to speak and tells them to go away, turns his back etc. Did it not result in Lennon losing the plot with him as he wouldn't even acknowledge Lennon was speaking to him?

I know often there's no point listening to foam at the mouth players or managers but I've no doubt not all managers approach in that manner!

Ive also heard from a Perth born professional linesman who has run the line in the Premiership (including Saints games??!!!!) that there is some refs who are p***ks towards them as well. They weren't naming names though

He sent off Gerrard for approaching him at half time after not giving us an absolute stone wall penalty away to Livingston.

4 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

He sent off Gerrard for approaching him at half time after not giving us an absolute stone wall penalty away to Livingston.

Might have been him other than Lennon like I thought. 

I get it's not easy being a referee and f**k taking abuse from moron managers but meet in the middle somewhere. "I'll speak to you when you've calmed down" etc. 

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Might have been him other than Lennon like I thought. 

I get it's not easy being a referee and f**k taking abuse from moron managers but meet in the middle somewhere. "I'll speak to you when you've calmed down" etc. 

Absolutely and it's not just senior refs trying to be assertive. Last Junior game I was at the referee was honestly the rudest person I think I've ever heard to the point one of the players asked him to stop speaking to players the way he was.

Edited by GroundHoppingBear

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

We will see that. 

It’s disingenuous to say we’ll not see any examples of VAR working well. Of course we will, and it will improve the accuracy of decision making marginally. 

The debate should really be about the wider impact it has on the game, particularly for match going fans and is it worth it. 

Spoiler - it’s 100% not 

Aye to be fair I meant we won't see that kinda of conversation. They won't show us that.

As an aside I suspect the ref's will not enjoy being told what to do by a 4th/5th official.

On 05/09/2022 at 19:34, Meeniedee said:

VAR up here will be a complete waste of time...celtic/rangers will still get the benefit of 50/50 calls 

they'll continue to get penalties while the same "foul" in their box is ignored.

There’s no been a penalty in a Celtic game since April, 22 games, for or against, the SPFL average is 1 in 4 games,  looking forward to a few tomorrow.