VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

You'll be waiting a long time for that to happen

I'm calm. The goal never stood but it didn't cost us. 

The referee had a howler throughout the game, so i wasn't surprised that this wasn't given.

32 minutes ago, bennett said:

Everyone on here wouldn't be happy if their team never got a goal for that. 

I’m not bothered that it wasn’t given as I understand the uncertainty. Had the ref or assistant awarded it I reckon it would have stood so I can understand why VAR stood by the decision as it was not a “clear and obvious” mistake.

https://twitter.com/bawarmy/status/1690453134932348929?s=20

This is a good example of how deceptive far away angles can be when deciding whether the ball has crossed the line or not. Without a side-on picture you can't possibly conclusively guarantee that is in.

https://twitter.com/strawbearysal/status/1598412195632746509

Edited by craigkillie

If only Douglas Ross had been running the line all would have been fine.  

A few years ago he awarded Killie a goal at St Mirren Park when footage showed he couldn’t even see the ball, yet knew without doubt it was over the line.

We need that elite level of official throughout the game.   

6 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

A few years ago he awarded Killie a goal at St Mirren Park when footage showed he couldn’t even see the ball, yet knew without doubt it was over the line.

But you forgot one thing about DRoss....

tumblr_da36400d8d81fec2497b9eb069dbc053_0effccdd_500.gif

It was close and from my angle at the game I felt it was over. 

I get why the lack of a side on view means VAR can't really tell 100%. In saying that it does look like it's probably over and we got one at Pittrodrie last season which looked about the same so who knows how VAR works 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

What's the point. Near two minute review today......no goal. Only half way between the line and the net !!!

IMG-20230812-WA0002.jpg

What’s missing from this picture?  Hint: he and his assistants were wearing yellow yesterday. If the on field officials were doing their job properly VAR wouldn’t be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

For any outside viewers who aren't familiar with this particular incident, the ball was indeed across the line and the decision was correct.

35 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

What’s missing from this picture?  Hint: he and his assistants were wearing yellow yesterday. If the on field officials were doing their job properly VAR wouldn’t be an issue. 

Well the assistant will be by the corner flag outside the frame on the bottom right, no? So if he's looking along the line and can't be sure the whole of the ball had went over the whole of the line, he can't award the goal.

16 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Well the assistant will be by the corner flag outside the frame on the bottom right, no? So if he's looking along the line and can't be sure the whole of the ball had went over the whole of the line, he can't award the goal.

My point was the referee is nowhere in sight - he wasn’t keeping up with play. 
The assistant might be by the corner flag but we have no evidence of that from the still. 
His position is immaterial. We were sitting a few feet away from him and commented during the game he was giving a standard Scottish AR performance - indicating throw ins once the referee had awarded it, not flagging for obvious fouls (for both sides), letting throw ins and free kicks be taken yards from the correct position (for both sides). 
Anyway, the mistake didn’t change the outcome of the game and this is a VAR thread so I’ll leave you to it. 

11 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

The assistant might be by the corner flag but we have no evidence of that from the still. 
His position is immaterial. We were sitting a few feet away from him and commented during the game he was giving a standard Scottish AR performance - indicating throw ins once the referee had awarded it, not flagging for obvious fouls (for both sides), letting throw ins and free kicks be taken yards from the correct position (for both sides). 
Anyway, the mistake didn’t change the outcome of the game and this is a VAR thread so I’ll leave you to it. 

This was from a throw-in so if the referee wasn’t keeping up with play, there’s serious questions to be asked about how fast they can run. 

When you watch the video, the referee is just on the edge of the ‘D’, which is consistent with IFAB guidance on positioning: to ensure clear vision of play (in conjunction with the assistant), whilst also avoiding inadvertently interfering.

17 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

You know the officials are miked up during the game eh? And they have the ability to talk to each other as a result? Just because an official doesn't flag (this is purely done to "sell" the decision) doesn't mean he's not telling the ref anything

2 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Where would you place the ref? 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

For any outside viewers who aren't familiar with this particular incident, the ball was indeed across the line and the decision was correct.

Do you accept that Ross gave it dsspite three players - including the huge bulk of Kriss Boyd - meaning it was impossible for him to actually have seen where the ball was cleared.  

7 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

5 hours ago, ropy said:

Where would you place the ref? 

1 hour ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

In line with IFAB guidance on positioning. 

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

Which is where he was.

:lol:

8 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

A complete lack of coverage of where both the ref and his assistant should be standing?