VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it’s difficult to tell if he is onside or not, but look at the state of this VAR line from today. There is no way that this is accurate if you consider how far away the line is from the cut of the grass at the near side and then see how close it is to the cut of the grass at the far side.

2EC52E28-ABB4-4DA1-B2BA-1D1D653E803A.jpeg

19 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think it’s difficult to tell if he is onside or not, but look at the state of this VAR line from today. There is no way that this is accurate if you consider how far away the line is from the cut of the grass at the near side and then see how close it is to the cut of the grass at the far side.

Can we stop using grass lines as some kind of measurement. 

The VAR line has more chance of being correct than some line created by a guy pushing a wee lawn mower across a pitch.

25 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's easy enough to cut the grass in a straight line, but do you think it is easy to cut it exactly parallel to the lines on the pitch?

I've also got very little sympathy for the managers moaning about VAR. Like it's some mad suprise it's ended up a disaster.

It had been a shambles in England from day 1, wasn't used as described, it had ruined the experience for fans and often didn't get the big calls right. 

Yet somehow they thought it would be different here 🤷‍♂️

VAR wasn't introduced for the good of the game. It was introduced for the good of the referees careers. Football needs to stop allowing the likes of business men & referees to decide how football operates because it'll eventually destroy football below the plastic TV fan football level.

The new tier 5 colt League idea a prime example of business men and their shite ideas...

30 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Can we stop using grass lines as some kind of measurement. 

The VAR line has more chance of being correct than some line created by a guy pushing a wee lawn mower across a pitch.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's easy enough to cut the grass in a straight line, but do you think it is easy to cut it exactly parallel to the lines on the pitch?

They are fair points to be honest and I hadn’t really considered the “wonky grass lines” angle. I’d have thought any cuts of the grass would start from the goal-line so just assumed they’d be uniform all the way up the pitch if they start off square.

Still though, the variance in distance between the near side and far side either mean the grass is cut terribly or the VAR lines are placed terribly.

50 minutes ago, AJF said:

Two parallel lines will always appear to converge in a still image. The effect is amplified the tighter the angle you view it from. 

15 minutes ago, The Master said:

Two parallel lines will always appear to converge in a still image. The effect is amplified the tighter the angle you view it from. 

Yep, definitely appreciate that, I was more getting at the degree they converge to. You should still be able to distinguish a similar sized gap at each end though taking into account the distance.

The near side gap between the lines is a good 3 or 4 feet whereas the car side one is pretty much overlapping.

34 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I've also got very little sympathy for the managers moaning about VAR. Like it's some mad suprise it's ended up a disaster.

It had been a shambles in England from day 1, wasn't used as described, it had ruined the experience for fans and often didn't get the big calls right. 

Yet somehow they thought it would be different here 🤷‍♂️

VAR wasn't introduced for the good of the game. It was introduced for the good of the referees careers. Football needs to stop allowing the likes of business men & referees to decide how football operates because it'll eventually destroy football below the plastic TV fan football level.

The new tier 5 colt League idea a prime example of business men and their shite ideas...

For the benefit of the refs?! You have to be at it to say such nonsense.

VAR has been brought in because of moaning moron managers and fans who cried about decisions costing people their jobs and costing teams being relegated and other ridiculous claims.

It's absolutely not for the benefit of refs. What an incredibly bizarre claim.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

VAR has been brought in because of moaning moron managers and fans who cried about decisions costing people their jobs and costing teams being relegated and other ridiculous claims.

The referees were told they weren't going to get to referee European ties anymore because we didn't have VAR...

It absolutely is. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scottish-referees-to-miss-out-on-europe-because-of-var-bn8sqkn9p

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/lack-var-sees-scots-referees-miss-out-major-matches-1405050

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yep, definitely appreciate that, I was more getting at the degree they converge to. You should still be able to distinguish a similar sized gap at each end though taking into account the distance.

The near side gap between the lines is a good 3 or 4 feet whereas the car side one is pretty much overlapping.

A smaller gap further from the camera than nearer the camera is the definition of convergence. 

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The referees were told they weren't going to get to referee European ties anymore because we didn't have VAR...

It absolutely is. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scottish-referees-to-miss-out-on-europe-because-of-var-bn8sqkn9p

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/lack-var-sees-scots-referees-miss-out-major-matches-1405050

I totally disagree.

Refs have always been treated poorly. Unsure why you think they suddenly have massive influence now.

Also, if it was to benefit refs (it wasn't), it hasn't worked.

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

A smaller gap further from the camera than nearer the camera is the definition of convergence. 

I do understand that, but what I am getting at is if we were to assume that the grass lines were cut straight, it should be impossible for the VAR drawn line to be ahead of the grass line at the near side but behind it at the far side.

But I did already concede I hadn’t really considered the possibility that the grass cut lines wouldn’t be square.

Anyone else at Pittodrie this afternoon see Michael Smith almost catch the ball from a Clarkson shot in the second half? Couldn’t believe the ref missed it but expected VAR to spot it, think Hearts broke up the park and think Snodgrass screwed an effort wide, bewildered that play wasn’t pulled back and a penalty awarded for Aberdeen.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It might not have been brought in for the refs but almost every ref I’ve seen asked about it is pro-VAR. Craig Napier on AVFTT a few weeks ago being the latest example.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

54 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I totally disagree.

Refs have always been treated poorly. Unsure why you think they suddenly have massive influence now.

Also, if it was to benefit refs (it wasn't), it hasn't worked.

The progression of referees careers was literally stated as one of the reasons for bringing in VAR. 

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

And you believed that?

When the SFA talk about the progression of their referees, and this is backed up by referees themselves - then amazingly I do believe it. It clearly isn’t the only reason it was brought in, but it is one of them. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I do understand that, but what I am getting at is if we were to assume that the grass lines were cut straight, it should be impossible for the VAR drawn line to be ahead of the grass line at the near side but behind it at the far side.

DeadWhichGalapagoshawk-max-1mb.gif.622e788fc27b6a3fac309113e43ae075.gif