VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 04/08/2023 at 02:40, Torfason said:

Well these 2 should definitely make things better 🙈

VAR going live to Motherwell v Hibs and the decision is…………….Penalty to Rangers 👍🏻

Wait, the same Greg Aitken who booked and sent off Keatings for this "dive" and then stood by the decision after being shown video evidence that he made a complete arse of it? This can only go well...

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

Apparently clubs (other than those in televised games) were given a choice about whether to have VAR or not in league cup this weekend. 

Seem a farce to give clubs a choice, either have it or don't. Also telling that they all chose not to have it.

I think the fact they would have had to pay for it is what influenced their decision rather than the merits or otherwise of VAR itself. 

Maybe, maybe not. Every team given a choice on it this weekend chose not to have it. It's hardly a ringing endorsement of it.

They chose not to pay for it. It’s a subtle but important distinction.

Yes, you've said that. Didn't realise VAR was free for league games.

It’s not. The costs are met by reducing the prize money. 

It’s also cheaper in the league because for untelevised games, 4 of the 6 cameras were already there for highlights. 

Edited by The Master

6 minutes ago, The Master said:

It’s not. The costs are met by reducing the prize money. 

It’s also cheaper in the league because for untelevised games, 4 of the 6 cameras were already there for highlights. 

I'm aware that it's not free.

My point (well, it wasnt even my main issue) is that it's not a great sign, when all the clubs decided it wasn't worth the money for this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next round, if clubs are given a choice again. Will more of them want to stump up when there's a semi final place up for grabs.

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

My point (well, it wasnt even my main issue) is that it's not a great sign, when all the clubs decided it wasn't worth the money for this weekend.

Again, that doesn’t suggest they didn’t want VAR at all. It just means they didn’t want it at the price quoted. 

It’s cost/benefit 101. 

Unrelated to any recent chat but I was thinking about the complexities of hand ball in the box.  Usually you can tell if it is deliberate I.e.punching or palming the ball away.  That is a penalty.  But could all other handballs not be a free kick in the box, up for debate whether it should be direct or indirect but would that bring clarity to the situation?  VAR just needs to confirm that the ball has hit a hand.

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

Unrelated to any recent chat but I was thinking about the complexities of hand ball in the box.  Usually you can tell if it is deliberate I.e.punching or palming the ball away.  That is a penalty.  But could all other handballs not be a free kick in the box, up for debate whether it should be direct or indirect but would that bring clarity to the situation?  VAR just needs to confirm that the ball has hit a hand.

Direct free kick would make it a penalty.

On 20/08/2023 at 16:56, houston_bud said:

Apparently clubs (other than those in televised games) were given a choice about whether to have VAR or not in league cup this weekend. 

Seem a farce to give clubs a choice, either have it or don't. Also telling that they all chose not to have it.

On 20/08/2023 at 17:20, The Master said:

They chose not to pay for it. It’s a subtle but important distinction.

Exactly this. 

Paying for it would probably cost them most of the prize money and gate share for the tie. 

Why would they sign up to that? 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

14 hours ago, ropy said:

But could all other handballs not be a free kick in the box,

When the handball rule went to shit, I thought an indirect FK  would be the best way to resolve it. As you said it's pretty obvious when a blatant save is made. I can see that it's not a perfect solution though.

Surprised this thread hasn’t been swamped after yesterday’s match at the SMISA.  

VAR was called into play four times:

Kiltie’s “goal” correctly offside. 
St Mirren’s penalty. It took 3 minutes to confirm the award given by the referee.  Handball was very obvious and right in front of the referee so VAR did not provide any helpful input. 
Aberdeen’s penalty. Correct decision but VAR would not have been required if the infield officials had been competent. 
“Double touch” at penalty. Having watched it a dozen times I still can’t tell for certain so no obvious mistake to be overrun. 

5 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Surprised this thread hasn’t been swamped after yesterday’s match at the SMISA.  

VAR was called into play four times:

Kiltie’s “goal” correctly offside. 
St Mirren’s penalty. It took 3 minutes to confirm the award given by the referee.  Handball was very obvious and right in front of the referee so VAR did not provide any helpful input. 
Aberdeen’s penalty. Correct decision but VAR would not have been required if the infield officials had been competent. 
“Double touch” at penalty. Having watched it a dozen times I still can’t tell for certain so no obvious mistake to be overrun. 

The Sportscene footage last night made it pretty clear.  

On 17/08/2023 at 15:28, RiG said:

Wait, the same Greg Aitken who booked and sent off Keatings for this "dive" and then stood by the decision after being shown video evidence that he made a complete arse of it? This can only go well...

The referee who made the decision isn't involved in the appeals process.