VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, KingswellsRed said:

With 86% of fans saying VAR is reducing their enjoyment of football in a Scottish survey, how do we get this removed from our game?

Have you got in touch with your club and/or your SLO?

I can't emphasise this enough. If you're against VAR and you have perfectly valid questions like the one above, you need to contact your club.

Dave cormack stating at our AGM last night that he’d get rid of it given the chance. 

On one hand, heartening to hear this change of sentiment. On the other, infuriating that their initial refusal to engage the fans on the matter, who would have told them exactly how this would play out, has got us to this point. 

Edited by Dons_1988

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Dave cormack stating at our AGM last night that he’d get rid of it given the chance. 

On one hand, heartening to hear this change of sentiment. On the other, infuriating that their initial refusal to engage the fans on the matter, who would have told them exactly how this would play out, has got us to this point. 

Saw that. Very pleasing indeed.

However. He does have the chance. Aberdeen are one of the biggest clubs in the country, and if the owner is against VAR, Aberdeen should be using their influence to make the case. Either that or it's just more waffle from Dave. In his position and with his profile, he's probably in the top 5/6 influential people in the Scottish game in terms of agenda setting. So, he can do it.

And Aberdeen fans should be getting them fucking told to do it.

Edited by VincentGuerin

I thought VAR would be good if, for example, someone elbowed an opponent in the face off the ball, and the referee missed it. Or if a referee booked the wrong player in mistaken identity. Or if a clear foul was given as a penalty when VAR could step in and actually say, no, it happened just outside the box. Big stuff, clear mistakes, Willie Collum, etc,

When VAR is taking five minutes to decide that someone’s left testicle was 0.5mm offside, then the game’s a bogey. VAR seems to have two major functions. One, to show testicles being 0.5mm offside, and two, to award The Rangers even more penalties.

Get it to fcuk. I’ll e-mail my club and SLO right away. Soon as I’ve put the kettle on.

45 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Have you got in touch with your club and/or your SLO?

I can't emphasise this enough. If you're against VAR and you have perfectly valid questions like the one above, you need to contact your club.

I can’t say I have, mainly because the club have said they would vote for it to be scrapped a couple of times now. Perhaps I should though. The other problem is, it doesn’t seem likely there will be a vote.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I thought VAR would be good if, for example, someone elbowed an opponent in the face off the ball, and the referee missed it. Or if a referee booked the wrong player in mistaken identity. Or if a clear foul was given as a penalty when VAR could step in and actually say, no, it happened just outside the box. Big stuff, clear mistakes, Willie Collum, etc,

When VAR is taking five minutes to decide that someone’s left testicle was 0.5mm offside, then the game’s a bogey. VAR seems to have two major functions. One, to show testicles being 0.5mm offside, and two, to award The Rangers even more penalties.

Get it to fcuk. I’ll e-mail my club and SLO right away. Soon as I’ve put the kettle on.

That's exactly how I thought it'd work. It'd add an extra pair of eyes to help refs see what was going on, especially with obvious cheating, and quickly clarify other matters. But no. It ignores blatant rule breaking to focus on minutiae and ruin games.

I was reminded how needless it is when seeing a couple of non-VAR games recently. Normal TV coverage and replays cleared up virtually all decisions within seconds, as was the case before VAR's introduction. They don't get absolutely everything right but neither does VAR. The difference in accuracy doesn't justify the financial and emotional cost of the game ruiner. It's not needed. It never was needed. Get in binned ASAP.

15 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yeez were fucking told.

It was as plain as the Sahara desert what was going to happen, but oh no. "It'll drive up standards" "It'll be unobtrusive".

Idiots.

It is mad. The pro-VAR folk were telt exactly what it would be like, and lo, it has come to pass.

The pro-VAR people underestimated the impact on the flow of the game, underestimated how nitpicky VAR would be, and failed to understand that once it was in, its scope would only ever get wider and wider.

All of these things were predictable and predicted.

6 hours ago, KingswellsRed said:

With 86% of fans saying VAR is reducing their enjoyment of football in a Scottish survey, how do we get this removed from our game?

Hibs fans were chanting 'f**k VAR' even after they got a favourable decision on Saturday*, more of that would be a good step.

We won't see VAR binned here unless it's something FIFA have decided, so hopefully there's a wee bit of momentum building with some players and/or managers at the bigger European clubs calling out its nonsense. Unfortunately I think it's much more likely that we end up with games cut to 80 minutes to allow for the added time, and additional checks for corners/throw ins/free kicks if a goal is scored afterwards. You'll still have folk pretending that VAR is great though.

*I'll put my rant here. Sangare shot deflected out for a corner, don't think any Livi players or fans really shouted for a penalty but we got a lengthy check. Referee went to the monitor so you're assuming after another unnecessary amount of time that he's likely giving Livi a penalty. Steps away, makes the TV sign, and gives offside. I don't care if that's how it's 'supposed' to work, it's an absolute fucking nonsense that a corner can be turned into a free kick for the other team. I would have been fine with it if the referee gave the penalty and that was changed to the offside, but the referee's on-field decision (no penalty) has effectively been changed twice to a penalty and then to offside. A clear and obvious offside though, right? Nah, a fucking millimetre. Get it in the fucking sea.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yeez were fucking told.

It was as plain as the Sahara desert what was going to happen, but oh no. "It'll drive up standards" "It'll be unobtrusive".

Idiots.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

It is mad. The pro-VAR folk were telt exactly what it would be like, and lo, it has come to pass.

The pro-VAR people underestimated the impact on the flow of the game, underestimated how nitpicky VAR would be, and failed to understand that once it was in, its scope would only ever get wider and wider.

All of these things were predictable and predicted.

Wow. How amazing are you. The one thing worse that a bod loser is a bad 'winner'. Well done you two. Well done. 

Hoping something would work is not the same as wanting it in the first place. But carry on gloating, having tantrums and decrying anyone that wasn't 100% FUKC VAR but kept an open mind, something quite rare in Scottish football. You do it so well.

24 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Wow. How amazing are you. The one thing worse that a bod loser is a bad 'winner'. Well done you two. Well done. 

Hoping something would work is not the same as wanting it in the first place. But carry on gloating, having tantrums and decrying anyone that wasn't 100% FUKC VAR but kept an open mind, something quite rare in Scottish football. You do it so well.

This would be fine if keeping an open mind to something that was reversible once it was in.

Its incredibly frustrating that this was waved through and is unlikely to ever be removed when the clear flaws were so foreseeable. 

58 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

You could apply this to anything. You can take any criticised idea and tell people to "have an open mind".

I might suggest to the missus tonight that we quit our jobs, sell all our possessions, give the money to the neighbours, and go and live in a bus shelter as this would remove the hassle of having a job, paying a mortgage etc. If she objects and points out all the obvious downsides to this idea, and that our problems aren't actually all that bad, I'll tell her to keep an open mind.

Once we've moved to live in the bus shelter, if it all goes badly, I'll feel ok, because, despite being told what a shite idea it was, and it turning out to be a shite idea, at least we kept an open mind and gave the shite idea a chance. Even though it's too late to go back and change what we've done, we'll be pleased to know we were free thinkers who gave something new a chance.

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This would be fine if keeping an open mind to something that was reversible once it was in.

Its incredibly frustrating that this was waved through and is unlikely to ever be removed when the clear flaws were so foreseeable. 

It wasn't a referendum. Those that weren't 100% against it initially didn't actually vote it in. As you say it was imposed. It was just an opinion. The anti-VAR zealots had has much input into the decision as the others did. It's weird behaviour throwing tantrums and slaughtering folk who weren't 100% against it.

1 minute ago, Charles Stiles said:

It wasn't a referendum. Those that weren't 100% against it initially didn't actually vote it in. As you say it was imposed. It was just an opinion. The anti-VAR zealots had has much input into the decision as the others did. It's weird behaviour throwing tantrums and slaughtering folk who weren't 100% against it.

That's not true. The people who argued for VAR created conditions where the authorities could introduce it.

Every manager who called for it in a post-match interview, every fan who wrote a letter to the paper supporting it, everyone who argued in favour of it, all created the conditions where its use became imaginable, then thinkable, then likely, then a certainty.

I'd have them all doing community service.

Step 1. Write to your club, stress your money is crucial to them and that you're unhappy. IMO steer clear of moaning too much about things in the past like the lack of consultation etc, and focus on the fact that you'd like it noted you're against VAR and would request the club consider whether it is time to call for its removal from the game.

Step 2. Continue to make lots of noise about the awfulness of VAR - online, at games, in letters to newspapers, whatever you like. Don't accept that just because its here it has to stay.

Step 3. ? perhaps some form of fan-led/cross-team mass campaign, to get media attention as a conduit/spokesperson for anti-VAR views, coordinate action and raise awareness, influence politicians (?), raise money for a proper poll to track football fan views. 

Step 4. Protest. At games and otherwise. Need the big fan groups onside for this. Maybe we should glue ourselves to the gates at the SFA?

Step 5. Boycotts if needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went along to Dumbarton to see Clyde yesterday on my own as my dad isn't keeping well enough to go at the moment and my bother was working. I was responsible for the text updates throughout the game.

For those who don't follow League Two, Clyde were 4-2 down after 90 minutes. When it went to 4-3 in injury time there was a wee glimmer of hope. When Clyde went forward again about a minute later, I had a wee feeling in my bones, and after big Logan's shot hit the net I found myself running along the row run down the stairs to celebrate, but knew I had to let my old man kow ASAP. One of those situations where a picture paints a thousand words rather than my usual "goooooooooaaaallll" text.

Didn't need to stop and wonder if someone had a foot offside, or worry about it being pulled back for brushing someone's arm, or somebody spending a minute winding through it looking for a wee tug of a jersey. Just a fucking goal. A last minute comeback from 4-2 down.

Fitba. f**k VAR.

3.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

• 4 weeks later...

Good weekend of cup football and complete removal from the world of VAR and what a joy it was. Barely into the Celtic game and the first ridiculous VAR stoppage strikes. It is just so sad that the obvious solution is in everyone's face but it won't change. 

21 minutes ago, PTR said:

Good weekend of cup football and complete removal from the world of VAR and what a joy it was. Barely into the Celtic game and the first ridiculous VAR stoppage strikes. It is just so sad that the obvious solution is in everyone's face but it won't change. 

Saints had a goal disallowed yesterday for offside and to be honest it was quite refreshing not to wait several minutes for it to be confirmed.