VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Belgian league match now being replayed because of a VAR error. It's going well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68116985

Much as I despise the VAR system, you just can’t do that. Bad enough waiting at a match for a decision to be overturned without coming away from a game and finding out later that it didn’t count. Fans money refunded?

Just now, kingjoey said:

Maybe, but it wasn’t holding up the actual match.

I only follow football through the internet. I don't see the issue in making sure all the decisions in a subjective, situational sport are 100% accurate.

42 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I only follow football through the internet. I don't see the issue in making sure all the decisions in a subjective, situational sport are 100% accurate.

Ok, now we know you’re ‘avin’ a laff.

3 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Belgian league match now being replayed because of a VAR error. It's going well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68116985

In fairness, this isn't really a VAR error, it's a technical error by the referees. There were been games replayed for this exact thing before VAR was in place, most notably a World Cup play-off between Bahrain and Uzbekistan for the 2006 World Cup.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In fairness, this isn't really a VAR error, it's a technical error by the referees. There were been games replayed for this exact thing before VAR was in place, most notably a World Cup play-off between Bahrain and Uzbekistan for the 2006 World Cup.

Not really, the error in 2006 was made by an on field referee that got a simple rule completely wrong.

This decision with this one between between Anderlecht and Genk was made by the VAR team.

Surely the point of VAR is to rule on a clear and obvious error which we can all understand a ref can make in real time, this is a clear and obvious error made by someone with a lot of time, and many replays. 

A waste of fucking time and an absolute blight on the game.

The VAR referees made the exact same mistake though. The point is that it wasn't a VAR problem, it was a bad referee problem. And I'm not saying that to defend VAR, but rather the total opposite, it doesn't matter how much technology you have, people will make mistakes.

Replaying matches because of refereeing, or the VAR, mistakes is laughable. Quoting something that happened 18 years ago as a precedent and ignoring all the "technical errors" that have happened during these 18 years, is also laughable.

Miovski’s brilliant finish at Tynecastle being disallowed for an innocuous trip in the build-up is yet another example of VAR basically taking away what would have been a great memory and moment for fans. These aren’t being replaced with new fond memories of VAR taking 5 minutes to award a penalty for the ball grazing someone’s hand. Even though this benefited Hearts in the moment, it’s something that affects every single team and every single match-going fan, and is gradually chipping away at what made all of us fall in love with the game. 

What is football without the magic moments of quality and spontaneous celebrations you still talk about years later? We’re getting less and less of those thanks to VAR. 

And unfortunately, this is a feature of having a VAR, rather than a bug. “Getting better refs to operate it” (from where?) or “running it more like in Germany” (its shit there too) or “eliminating referee bias” (Alex Jones-level bullshit) will not make VAR any less of a complete shit show that is ruining the game.

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Replaying matches because of refereeing, or the VAR, mistakes is laughable. 

In Scotland, there would just be one endlessly replayed Old Firm game - a real life version of a Sky Sports subscription.

47 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Miovski’s brilliant finish at Tynecastle being disallowed for an innocuous trip in the build-up is yet another example of VAR basically taking away what would have been a great memory and moment for fans. These aren’t being replaced with new fond memories of VAR taking 5 minutes to award a penalty for the ball grazing someone’s hand. Even though this benefited Hearts in the moment, it’s something that affects every single team and every single match-going fan, and is gradually chipping away at what made all of us fall in love with the game. 

What is football without the magic moments of quality and spontaneous celebrations you still talk about years later? We’re getting less and less of those thanks to VAR. 

And unfortunately, this is a feature of having a VAR, rather than a bug. “Getting better refs to operate it” (from where?) or “running it more like in Germany” (its shit there too) or “eliminating referee bias” (Alex Jones-level bullshit) will not make VAR any less of a complete shit show that is ruining the game.

I mainly agree, but there was what should have been one absolutely epic VAR memory earlier in the season in the Saints v Aberdeen game.  

VAR correctly award Aberdeen a 95th minute penalty for handball.  They ‘score’ with the last kick of the game to make it 2-2, and the Dons fans go wild.  Saints fans gutted.  

The penalty was a double hit though, which VAR SHOULD have picked up.  And if they had that would have been a pretty epic turnaround in emotions for both sets of fans.  

So in theory VAR could provide some fantastic memories. 

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

I'd bin VAR tomorrow. The Miovski one isn't a great example to point to though, as it was a clear foul.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd bin VAR tomorrow. The Miovski one isn't a great example to point to though, as it was a clear foul.

It's a clear foul that had an impact on the goal, as it stops the cross/pass being closed down.

But it's also on the linesman's side of the pitch, and the ref's not far away. It should have been given as a foul in the first place. VAR is resulting in a lot of responsibility being passed on by the officials.

The whole thing is shite.

There has been a lot of moaning about VAR recently for things I think it has got right. I want rid of VAR too mind you but using recent examples where it is correct is a bit contradictory.