VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Pimage.png.753e3e9d3604f585de96be328dd30652.png

Pretty clear encroachment before the ball is kicked to restart the game. VAR is meant to check everything leading up to a goal in the immediate phase of play. How did they miss this?

A new most pathetic thing to complain about, well done.

On 28/01/2024 at 20:23, strichener said:

Only if you are within playing distance and not held off by body or arms.  It annoys the f**k out of me when you see players shielding the ball out for a goal kick about 2m away from the ball.

This annoys the f**k out of me in general. You should only be allowed to shield the ball after touching it.  

46 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Fairly sure the rule is to do with contact with the ground in encroachment which will almost always be the foot. 

On that basis, in the image above all the players chasing forward are still in their own half.

25 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I considered that until I realised it was for the Dundee player at the top...

Poaching b*****d 😂

Maybe not VAR related as such, but not sure where else to put this. Things that have been included in the Laws of the Game to speed up matches, which absolutely bloody don’t.

Indirect free kick to be awarded if the keeper holds on to the ball for more than six seconds. What a laugh.

Players to be cautioned for kicking/throwing the ball away. What a laugh.

Players to be cautioned for stopping free kicks being taken. What a laugh.

Players to leave the pitch when treated on the pitch. That does happen, but since that was brought in players just stay down as long as they want and self heal after a minute or so. What a laugh.

When players are subbed, the one going off to be sent to the nearest touchline. What a laugh.

Most of these Law changes were initially implemented but now its do as you please.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Maybe not VAR related as such, but not sure where else to put this. Things that have been included in the Laws of the Game to speed up matches, which absolutely bloody don’t.

Indirect free kick to be awarded if the keeper holds on to the ball for more than six seconds. What a laugh.

Players to be cautioned for kicking/throwing the ball away. What a laugh.

Players to be cautioned for stopping free kicks being taken. What a laugh.

Players to leave the pitch when treated on the pitch. That does happen, but since that was brought in players just stay down as long as they want and self heal after a minute or so. What a laugh.

When players are subbed, the one going off to be sent to the nearest touchline. What a laugh.

Most of these Law changes were initially implemented but now its do as you please.

Agree, and it's all on the refs. They have the tools and don't use them.

I'd also add a new one of giving an indirect free kick against keepers who needlessly dive to the floor after catching a cross. It's just a different kind of simulation and should be added to the list.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Agree, and it's all on the refs. They have the tools and don't use them.

I'd also add a new one of giving an indirect free kick against keepers who needlessly dive to the floor after catching a cross. It's just a different kind of simulation and should be added to the list.

That’s covered by the six second Law. Just implement it, or bin it.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

That’s covered by the six second Law. Just implement it, or bin it.

I'd make it a separate offence.

Six seconds has been binned unofficially. I think it's meant to just give the ref an excuse to stop folk if they really take the piss.

I think six seconds is too quick for the modern game. Keepers do need time to let people get up the pitch and into position, then choose a pass if playing out etc. They should make it 15 and actually enforce it. And of this daft diving onto the floor for no reason and it's an indirect free-kick.

That's the 9th penalty given against us this season - I'd say that 2/3s of them fall in the the soft or common sense has gone category.

Yesterday was a classic blast it at the defender's arms from a yard - we'll be playing Thalidomides next the way this is going.

It's just fucking nonsense.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

41 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That's the 9th penalty given against us this season - I'd say that 2/3s of them fall in the the soft or common sense has gone category.

Yesterday was a classic blast it at the defender's arms from a yard - we'll be playing Thalidomides next the way this is going.

VAR is pointless if it's not going to overturn decisions like the Rangers first and the Hearts penalty.

On 31/01/2024 at 20:54, kingjoey said:

It seems to me that the way to fix this and cut down some of the colossal amounts of added time we get these days is to have subs made while the ball is in play. The game doesn’t stop - you just have to get the player off the park at any point and the sub on as quickly as you can without stopping the game. If you want to wait til it goes out then fine but the game can continue before the sub is complete.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It seems to me that the way to fix this and cut down some of the colossal amounts of added time we get these days is to have subs made while the ball is in play. The game doesn’t stop - you just have to get the player off the park at any point and the sub on as quickly as you can without stopping the game. If you want to wait til it goes out then fine but the game can continue before the sub is complete.

The argument against that is it can only be done at the very top of the game where there’s a 4th official, but the entire rule book has been rewritten for VARball and it’s already resulted in a 2 tier system.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Aye, that’s probably the handball decision I felt has been the most harsh that I can remember seeing since it’s introductions.

I think the law needs simplified or there needs more clarity/training around the following law: “touches the ball with their hand/arm when it is in a position that makes their body unnaturally bigger and when that position is not the result of their body moving fairly as part of play”.

Nobody can genuinely suggest that the Dundee defenders are was was in an unnatural position yesterday. They are swivelling to block a shot, you can’t expect them to have their arms strapped by their sides.

It just encourages this theme we are seeing where defenders close an opponent down with their arms clasped behind their back in fear that the ball strikes their arm. I feel this is disadvantaging the defender as they don’t have the use of their arms for momentum to quickly shift position or change direction like the attacker can.

Just comparing that Rangers first yesterday with the goal we had disallowed against Aberdeen a couple of weeks back. One is a boot flying in at head height and ultimately catching the thigh of the guy clearing the ball and ultimately stopping him clearing effectively. The other is two boots touching after the ball has already been cleared, affecting nothing.

If you’re not going to get some kind of consistency with VAR then what’s the point of it?

Also that penalty for Hearts is just a complete nonsense.

46 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Just comparing that Rangers first yesterday with the goal we had disallowed against Aberdeen a couple of weeks back. One is a boot flying in at head height and ultimately catching the thigh of the guy clearing the ball and ultimately stopping him clearing effectively. The other is two boots touching after the ball has already been cleared, affecting nothing.

If you’re not going to get some kind of consistency with VAR then what’s the point of it?

Uncanny, I’ve just come on to say exactly that.  Watching it on sportscene just now as Goldson karate kicks his way into the Livingston defenders, stopping them from going for the ball.

I didn’t complain too much at our one against Aberdeen as I just felt it’s a really poor decision but that’s the way it goes, but after seeing that yesterday, I’m raging!!

Both are shocking decisions, and any official that can look at the rangers one over several replays and not give a foul should be sacked.

About 1:00 on in this one:

About 3:32 onwards for yesterday’s:

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Uncanny, I’ve just come on to say exactly that.  Watching it on sportscene just now as Goldson karate kicks his way into the Livingston defenders, stopping them from going for the ball.

I didn’t complain too much at our one against Aberdeen as I just felt it’s a really poor decision but that’s the way it goes, but after seeing that yesterday, I’m raging!!

Both are shocking decisions, and any official that can look at the rangers one over several replays and not give a foul should be sacked.

About 1:00 on in this one:

About 3:32 onwards for yesterday’s:

I'm an Aberdeen fan and I was raging with VAR that night 🤣

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Also that penalty for Hearts is just a complete nonsense.

I saw it on sportscene this morning. If a foul was given against Goldson, as should have been, would it not also have been a red card? Or am I even more sensitive than the rules these days?

Last time I saw studs into a player at waist height I’d have assumed a red card was coming. 

Before the VAR system came in, some people thought it would level things up with Celtic and Rangers getting found out with all the unfair decisions that they arebon the end of season after season. None of these people seemed to realise it would be the same referees looking at the TV screens. Two incidents on Saturday summed this up. The high boot by Goldson in the lead up to Livi's first goal could have been missed by the on field officials, but someone having the time to watch various angles and still not giving a foul is outrageous. Similar scenario at Pittodrie with Johnson's push on Gartenmann in the box at 1-0 impossible to miss watching it back.

51 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

How feasible would it be to only have VAR in TV games & bin it for everything else? Let our Fifa refs take all those games.

Or don't have Scottish referees but use those referees that actually ref the arse cheeks properly in Europe.