VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

That's nothing to do with VAR, it's a basic rule in football...

I mean you should know the four things that VAR checks for so as it's not for a goal check it has to be for a possible penalty or red card.

So.... in the several minutes it took between the incident happening(which was not seen by the referee, the assistant, the players or the fans, as there was no appeal),the game being stopped and the tanoy announcing it was a penalty check, it could have also have been a check for a red card? Or another infringement in the box?

The check was a good couple of minutes after the incident for which the penalty was given.

Basic football rules very rarely have you waiting for minutes and guessing what the infringement was for.

The problem I have with this decision, is that leaving the stadium, I still never knew what the penalty was for.

27 minutes ago, jakedee said:

So.... in the several minutes it took between the incident happening(which was not seen by the referee, the assistant, the players or the fans, as there was no appeal),the game being stopped and the tanoy announcing it was a penalty check, it could have also have been a check for a red card? Or another infringement in the box?

The check was a good couple of minutes after the incident for which the penalty was given.

Basic football rules very rarely have you waiting for minutes and guessing what the infringement was for.

The problem I have with this decision, is that leaving the stadium, I still never knew what the penalty was for.

Your last paragraph is the fundamental issue. After the Saints v Aberdeen game a couple of weeks back it was the next day before I knew why Carey’s goal had been disallowed, for example. It’s a ridiculous situation that the people paying £25 a throw to watch this are the last people to know why game changing decisions have been made, especially in situations like the one I’ve described or yesterday’s penalty when there was no obvious infringement that anybody in the stands or on the pitch had noticed.

Even watching on a stream you dont know why plays been stopped.

There was a stoppage in the first half, of almost 2 minutes. 

No replays, and a close up of the referee telling players he had no idea what was being checked but he couldnt start play again until theyd finished.

Nothing was given and no hint at what was being checked.

Just the 13 mistakes from VAR in the second quarter of the season.

Great stuff. Well worth the money the clubs are spending on it.

"The panel is drawn from former top level managers, player and coaches, and is guided by experts on the Laws of the Game."

Who as we all know, are experts in the modern game...

"While an offside decision earlier in the attacking move meant no penalty would have been awarded in any case, the IRP examined the incident and believe Collum should have recommended an on-field review for a potential penalty. That review would then have triggered an offside check and a free kick given to Celtic."

In other words, the panel wanted more time to be wasted on a referee going to a screen just to have a goal kick changed to an offside a few metres away? We saw it on the Livi v Hibs game (corner) and then on another game recently (can't remember which) where this happened.

And an incident involving Rangers Jose Cifuentes was also highlighted. The midfielder was shown a yellow card for a challenge against Dundee in December which was upgraded to a red card after a pitchside review. Rangers then submitted an appeal to an independent tribunal but lost, with Cifuentes suspended and Rangers paying a £500 fee.

The IRB felt VAR shouldn’t have been involved at all and that the initial yellow card was sufficient punishment.

So the VAR, then on-field referee, and an independent tribunal agreed with the red card, but this other independent panel don't? Just goes to show how people will never agree on things...

Edited by Ginaro

Obviously hugely concerning that the number of incorrect calls/uses/non uses of VAR has increased.

However, the worst bit of it all is the predictable hour about to be wasted on Sportsound on Saturday allowing Kenny VEE AYY ARGH in Scoddish football McHuntyre to whip himself to a frenzy.

55 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

I hope everyone on the “var would be a good thing” list gets diarrhoea.

I had an upset stomach last night and could've shit through a sieve, sure i voted against VAR though so nae justice at all for me. 

49 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

"The panel is drawn from former top level managers, player and coaches, and is guided by experts on the Laws of the Game."

Who as we all know, are experts in the modern game...

"While an offside decision earlier in the attacking move meant no penalty would have been awarded in any case, the IRP examined the incident and believe Collum should have recommended an on-field review for a potential penalty. That review would then have triggered an offside check and a free kick given to Celtic."

In other words, the panel wanted more time to be wasted on a referee going to a screen just to have a goal kick changed to an offside a few metres away? We saw it on the Livi v Hibs game (corner) and then on another game recently (can't remember which) where this happened.

And an incident involving Rangers Jose Cifuentes was also highlighted. The midfielder was shown a yellow card for a challenge against Dundee in December which was upgraded to a red card after a pitchside review. Rangers then submitted an appeal to an independent tribunal but lost, with Cifuentes suspended and Rangers paying a £500 fee.

The IRB felt VAR shouldn’t have been involved at all and that the initial yellow card was sufficient punishment.

So the VAR, then on-field referee, and an independent tribunal agreed with the red card, but this other independent panel don't? Just goes to show how people will never agree on things...

this panel sounds a lot of shite.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just the 13 mistakes from VAR in the second quarter of the season.

Great stuff. Well worth the money the clubs are spending on it.

Did a panel sit and review controversial refereeing decisions for each quarter before VAR ?

22 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

Crawford Allan sounds like a great laugh. Would love to go out for a pint with him, what a night on the tiles that would be.

He's certainly great at non-sequiturs and pish

"Why would you want to get rid of something that factually does improve decision making in the game? Especially when there's money involved in it at that level of the game.

"That's what it was brought in for - and we've got proof that it is adding value and accuracy to the Scottish football diet."

That drivel makes me almost as angry as VAR does.

That interview has me absolutely fuming. 🤣

The "There's so much money at stake" argument is utterly risible and it offends me that not one interviewer has ever taken the thirty seconds required to rip it to shreds when any of these utter c***s hit out with it.

Also, why is it allowed to stand unchallenged that an increase in accuracy makes VAR worth it? What the f**k is the interviewer playing at?

I honestly hate these people.

In theory, VAR if used sparingly and properly should not be an issue, but it never has been and never will. I was positive on it before it was introduced as I thought it would be a leveller, but it's just not.

If it was just to check for factual things, like, was the foul inside the box or was the ball out of play before a goal, then fine. But, at every single goal, they are looking for a reason not to give it. Its killing the game. VAR for anything other than factual checks should only be used if a ref has genuinely missed something and therefore cannot take a view and should only be applied if he asks specifically for it.

It's not a great watch in TV, but as a fan in the ground, it is horrific. Vs Dundee on Sunday, no one had a clue what the check was for. Tannoy didn't work, so whatever they tried to announce the check for, no one heard it.

Only way for change is for fans to vote with feet. Either a boycott of a round of games or demanding refunds when a decision is proven to be wrong and influenced a game.

By not having VAR or having our own slimmed down VAR, Scottish football would be the better for it. I couldn't give a toss if it means our refs don't get to officiate European games or Fifa/Uefa look down on us. I'd imagine from other fans in other countries, there would be a respect for Scottish football.