VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Why do you think the panel has a better idea of which decisions have been "fucked" than the referees?

Did i say they did?  I don't see much on that list to disagree with tbh, but there's definitely things on that list that the refereeing teams have inarguably got wrong between them.

The point of the panel, there isn't one and it undermines the refereees, but doesn't mean that they've not correctly identified clear errors

I think most fans don't really care. Of course, most fans are cheek supporters, who claim to dislike VAR simply to further a sense of injustice towards their trophy-laden club.

Then there are the fans who use it as an excuse not to attend games, like those who say "I won't be back until the manager's gone." and then find some other excuse not to go once the man in charge has been punted.

Those who genuinely think VAR is bad enough for Scottish football to make the mildest of fuss are probably a small minority (a literal small minority, not an Old Firm small minority).

17 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think most fans don't really care. Of course, most fans are cheek supporters, who claim to dislike VAR simply to further a sense of injustice towards their trophy-laden club.

Then there are the fans who use it as an excuse not to attend games, like those who say "I won't be back until the manager's gone." and then find some other excuse not to go once the man in charge has been punted.

Those who genuinely think VAR is bad enough for Scottish football to make the mildest of fuss are probably a small minority (a literal small minority, not an Old Firm small minority).

Yes. I went to every game. I now don't.  It's shite and ruins it. 

It's ruined probably the last 3-4 games I've been to. Continually trying to find ANY reason to disallowed a goal. After every decision the fans in the ground didn't have a clue what either the pen was given for or the goal was disallowed. You had to wait until you got home to find out.

I'm not travelling to Aberdeen on a Wednesday night and then paying £26+ to watch a solicitor stand for 3 mins with his finger over an ear piece 3 times a game. It's meant to be enjoyable and that nonsense has made it significantly less enjoyable

Then the head of referee's has the cheek to come out and talk about how well it's doing. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

29 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't know a single fan who likes it.  The level of dislike varies certainly but I've genuinely met no-one irl who thinks it's worthwhile.

Those are match going fans, the ones I've seen online defend it are largely tv viewers.

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Maybe so, but I bet there's a few of us either not going or on the cusp of not going. I had a season ticket not so long ago. Haven't gone to a Saints game since VAR came in, and don't have any real desire to. It's not the only thing that's put me off football (Davidson-ball and Levein-ball haven't helped), but it's the most fundamental. It's a less exciting game now and the random decisions and the fact I can't really celebrate a goal without wondering if the decision is going to be reversed have sucked all joy out of it. It's only being promoted by people who don't pay to watch football.

Sadly simply removing VAR wouldn't cure things overnight; even if it was punted, it wouldn't end pundits' recent obsession with analysing refereeing decisions above reviewing the game, which made Sportscene almost unwatchable in the months leading up to VAR's introduction. The United v Raith game last night was a preview of what Scottish football without VAR would be like: a 10-15 minute discussion during play about whether a goal would have stood if VAR had been around.  They probably continued the chat at half time, but I was long gone by then.

Edited by Mr Heliums

What a depressing post. At best ill informed, at worst dismissive and condescending. Poor show. 

Can only assume you dont attend matches with VAR regularly.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can only assume you dont attend matches with VAR regularly.

I did when I lived in Turkey and Italy.

To be clear, when I talk about most fans I mean folk who consider themselves football fans, of which station ticket holders and P&B posters are a minority. Anyone reading this automatically cares more than the median fan.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I did when I lived in Turkey and Italy.

To be clear, when I talk about most fans I mean folk who consider themselves football fans, of which station ticket holders and P&B posters are a minority. Anyone reading this automatically cares more than the median fan.

I think youre miles out, tbh, but its clear youre not going to change your opinion.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I think youre miles out, tbh, but its clear youre not going to change your opinion.

Not quite sure how that's clear. I may be well out, but I genuinely don't think the average person who claims to support a Premiership club genuinely cares that much about VAR other than as something to talk about in the pub, certainly not enough to mount a campaign against it, which was the point I was making in the first place that you seem to be missing.

2 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Another day of waiting for a ref with his finger in his ear today numerous times. Some in recent weeks have gone for us and some against but that is not the point. Football is so much better without VAR.

I've posted it a million times but I was genuinely annoyed with the decisions that went for us against St Johnstone.

That's not football.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

I've posted it a million times but I was genuinely annoyed with the decisions that went for us against St Johnstone.

That's not football.

That's my view on it as well. Couldn't give a shit about the correct decisions anymore. If it takes them as long as it does to work it out the technology is clearly not fit for purpose either. 

I'd much rather accept the ref has got stuff wrong against Saints now and again over the fact celebrating a goal is simply not the same anymore (those are the best moments of going to games).

I reckon nearly half of the Saints support bailed out today as soon as the ref signalled the second VAR check on the monitor. Nobody seemed to be interested in the outcome or probably had any idea if it was hand ball or not. For me they had just had enough of this shite. 
I’d rather have a wrong call from a referee than wait for some c**t remotely making a decision. 
it’s quite obvious that referees today are passing the buck. 
We’ve had numerous gubbins at home over the years, Stirling Albion not so long ago, yet I’ve never seen so many leave the ground early.

On 17/02/2024 at 16:47, Mr Heliums said:

Maybe so, but I bet there's a few of us either not going or on the cusp of not going. I had a season ticket not so long ago. Haven't gone to a Saints game since VAR came in, and don't have any real desire to. It's not the only thing that's put me off football (Davidson-ball and Levein-ball haven't helped), but it's the most fundamental. It's a less exciting game now and the random decisions and the fact I can't really celebrate a goal without wondering if the decision is going to be reversed have sucked all joy out of it. It's only being promoted by people who don't pay to watch football.

Sadly simply removing VAR wouldn't cure things overnight; even if it was punted, it wouldn't end pundits' recent obsession with analysing refereeing decisions above reviewing the game, which made Sportscene almost unwatchable in the months leading up to VAR's introduction. The United v Raith game last night was a preview of what Scottish football without VAR would be like: a 10-15 minute discussion during play about whether a goal would have stood if VAR had been around.  They probably continued the chat at half time, but I was long gone by then.

Of course I don’t know you and I’m just generalising but I’d be willing to bet good money that if your team went on a great run this/next season and ended up in the hunt for Europe/trophies etc that you would go to the games VAR or not.

49 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Of course I don’t know you and I’m just generalising but I’d be willing to bet good money that if your team went on a great run this/next season and ended up in the hunt for Europe/trophies etc that you would go to the games VAR or not.

My teams on an amazing run and is very much in the hunt for Europe and the cup.

I go to fewer games now than before, and while it's not the only factor, VAR was the last shove I needed to stop going every week.