VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Before the VAR system came in, some people thought it would level things up with Celtic and Rangers getting found out with all the unfair decisions that they arebon the end of season after season. None of these people seemed to realise it would be the same referees looking at the TV screens. Two incidents on Saturday summed this up. The high boot by Goldson in the lead up to Livi's first goal could have been missed by the on field officials, but someone having the time to watch various angles and still not giving a foul is outrageous. Similar scenario at Pittodrie with Johnson's push on Gartenmann in the box at 1-0 impossible to miss watching it back.

Said it all along. VAR was only gonna give the refs a chance to look for fouls to benefit the OF teams. Yer still never getting the same things they get. 

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Before the VAR system came in, some people thought it would level things up with Celtic and Rangers getting found out with all the unfair decisions that they arebon the end of season after season. None of these people seemed to realise it would be the same referees looking at the TV screens. Two incidents on Saturday summed this up. The high boot by Goldson in the lead up to Livi's first goal could have been missed by the on field officials, but someone having the time to watch various angles and still not giving a foul is outrageous. Similar scenario at Pittodrie with Johnson's push on Gartenmann in the box at 1-0 impossible to miss watching it back.

Tbf, its not only Celtic and Rangers that benefit from unfair decisions. 

2_St-Mirren-FC-v-Aberdeen-Cinch-Scottish-Premiership.jpg

I know it's not VAR, but it's just as big an abomination, blue cards. If it wasn't being proposed officially it would be a great April Fool. It's laughable, utterly laughable. The big problem here is that once this is officially proposed and trialled, like VAR it will happen. Lunacy.

Edited by kingjoey

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I know it's not VAR, but it's just as big an abomination, blue cards. If it wasn't being proposed officially it would be a great April Fool. It's laughable, utterly laughable. The big problem here is that once this is officially proposed and trialled, like VAR it will happen. Lunacy.

The campaign to make the world's most popular sport as shite as possible gathers pace.

Fucking insane.

I'm actually starting to think this is all some deep NFL conspiracy.

Hear me out.

Football is the world game. There's no doubt about this. The NFL people envy this. All right-thinking people agree that NFL is pure shite because the rules are hard to follow for a beginner and it stops and starts FUCKING CONSTANTLY, rendering the sport an unwatchable waste of time. And we've not even touched on it being played and watched, largely, by Americans, who are, let's be honest, generally insufferable.

So, the evil NFL overlords have infiltrated FIFA with the plan of dragging fitba down to their level and achieving their end game of supplanting fitba as the world game, with all the reddies rolling in as a result.

It's the only explanation for why football has turned away from being a quick-flowing, easy-to-understand sport, and changed into a shambolic mess that even the well-versed no longer truly understand, and that now takes fucking forever to play. I've always loved fitba, but I reckon if I was coming at it as a beginner now, I might just not bother with it. Drawing lines on a pitch to check where someone's toe is? Remembering blue, yellow, and red cards?

f**k off. And f**k you, NFL.

17 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The campaign to make the world's most popular sport as shite as possible gathers pace.

Fucking insane.

Yeah, you're right.

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm actually starting to think this is all some deep NFL conspiracy.

Hear me out.

Football is the world game. There's no doubt about this. The NFL people envy this. All right-thinking people agree that NFL is pure shite because the rules are hard to follow for a beginner and it stops and starts FUCKING CONSTANTLY, rendering the sport an unwatchable waste of time. And we've not even touched on it being played and watched, largely, by Americans, who are, let's be honest, generally insufferable.

So, the evil NFL overlords have infiltrated FIFA with the plan of dragging fitba down to their level and achieving their end game of supplanting fitba as the world game, with all the reddies rolling in as a result.

It's the only explanation for why football has turned away from being a quick-flowing, easy-to-understand sport, and changed into a shambolic mess that even the well-versed no longer truly understand, and that now takes fucking forever to play. I've always loved fitba, but I reckon if I was coming at it as a beginner now, I might just not bother with it. Drawing lines on a pitch to check where someone's toe is? Remembering blue, yellow, and red cards?

f**k off. And f**k you, NFL.

Oh wait, you're crazy.

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Fucking insane.

Spot on. Football has never been more popular globally than it is now. The reason it's popular is because it's accessible, both it terms of being able to play and understand.

The reaction to blue cards seems to be pretty unanimously against it. This is where it differs from VAR, where there a lot of high profile players/managers/pundits etc shouting for technology to help the refs. So, I'm not convinced it'll end up coming in.

18 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Wait what? Have I missed something 

Is there many of you who've stopped going so regularly or stopped completely due to VAR?

I've honestly had enough of it. I'd go to every away game as well but I've pretty much stopped now unless it's a "proper day out". The days of just going for the football are done. I'd rather give it a miss than endure the VAR shambles. 

I think the most infuriating part of it is that the leadership in football including in Scotland insist it's fine and it barely makes any mistakes. That's just a lie. It's just constant questionable decisions. 

As for the experience of a match going fan, horrifically bad but again the paying punter is the least important as usual. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Get it to f%@k

Sunday was an example of how it really iritates me.

Ref holds up the restart of the game, presumably a VAR check. Yup, tanoy announces almost 2 mins later that there's a VAR check for possible penalty (for who? when? it had been more than a minute since the ball was in either box). Penalty given. The guessing then starts. Was it for hand ball in the box, a foul?

Only after the match and listening to the radio, it's confirmed it was for a smack in the face (very soft).

You should never leave a stadium unsure why a decision, which potentially changed the course of the game,was made.

37 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Ref holds up the restart of the game, presumably a VAR check. Yup, tanoy announces almost 2 mins later that there's a VAR check for possible penalty (for who? when? it had been more than a minute since the ball was in either box). Penalty given. The guessing then starts. Was it for hand ball in the box, a foul?

Only after the match and listening to the radio, it's confirmed it was for a smack in the face (very soft).

You should never leave a stadium unsure why a decision, which potentially changed the course of the game,was made.

Was the Dundee player on the ground after the corner not a bit of a clue as to why there was a VAR check/review?

11 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Was the Dundee player on the ground after the corner not a bit of a clue as to why there was a VAR check/review?

In the play leading up to the corner there was a challenge between a defender, goalkeeper and a forward. When going to ground, it looked like (from where I was sitting) that the ball may have come off the defenders hand as it went for the corner. No penalty was claimed for.

Corner goes into box, player on ground (not unusual). No penalty claimed for.

Hence the (my,and those around me)confusion.

Mainly caused by the time between the "incidents" and the VAR check.

5 minutes ago, jakedee said:

In the play leading up to the corner there was a challenge between a defender, goalkeeper and a forward. When going to ground, it looked like (from where I was sitting) that the ball may have come off the defenders hand as it went for the corner. No penalty was claimed for.

Corner goes into box, player on ground (not unusual). No penalty claimed for.

Hence the (my,and those around me)confusion.

Mainly caused by the time between the "incidents" and the VAR check.

Play restarting means whatever happened before the corner has been checked by VAR and can't be changed.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Play restarting means whatever happened before the corner has been checked by VAR and can't be changed.

Understanding VAR rules may reduce my confusion.

As would an instant explanation on why there is a check.

I'd still bin it though.

1 hour ago, jakedee said:

Get it to f%@k

Sunday was an example of how it really iritates me.

I'm fed up of it all. That's probably the 10th similar situation I've watched in 5-6 games. The decisions at McDiarmid that both Hearts and Aberdeen got in their favour were horrendous as well. Blatant goal bound shot blocked with an arm ignored by VAR but they were quite happy to jump in and give Aberdeen two very very soft gifts. It's just honestly a shambles.

I don't even care if the decisions are correct or not anymore. The enjoyment is already ruined. You're just waiting for the VAR to find something that wasn't there. 

It's just the VAR reofficiating the game with the referee bottling making decisions himself because he knows someone else will do it for him anyway. The referees have been given technology and shock horror have managed to become worse at their job. It's became the VAR show. 

17 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Understanding VAR rules may reduce my confusion.

As would an instant explanation on why there is a check.

I'd still bin it though.

That's nothing to do with VAR, it's a basic rule in football...

I mean you should know the four things that VAR checks for so as it's not for a goal check it has to be for a possible penalty or red card.