Scottish Architecture

scottsdad

On 29/10/2021 at 12:58, RawB93 said:

I've always liked Chancelot Mill at the bottom of Leith.

2205916_b3be7e8f.jpg

I had an agency job there as a “hygiene technician” and one of the jobs they asked me to do was to clean the inside of those silos. You get suspended in a harness and scrape the sides. I politely declined that exciting development opportunity.

Used to walk past this building 3 or 4 times a week just outside Central Station in Glasgow, and never thought to look up. Up until a few months back there was a Co-op supermarket housed in the bottom of it, which seems to be derelict now. I don’t know when it was built but the architecture wouldn’t look out of place in somewhere like Barcelona, with the repeating archways and intricate detail in the brickwork. 

F327CFCF-D809-4F2F-AEAB-7D7219DBF146.thumb.jpeg.3f9882381f4437a2cba2a25b97532c0d.jpeg

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Used to walk past this building 3 or 4 times a week just outside Central Station in Glasgow, and never thought to look up. Up until a few months back there was a Co-op supermarket housed in the bottom of it, which seems to be derelict now. I don’t know when it was built but the architecture wouldn’t look out of place in somewhere like Barcelona, with the repeating archways and intricate detail in the brickwork. 

F327CFCF-D809-4F2F-AEAB-7D7219DBF146.thumb.jpeg.3f9882381f4437a2cba2a25b97532c0d.jpeg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

220px-The_Ca_D%27oro_Building_-_geograph.org.uk_-_548181.jpg

Ca d’Oro Building

The Ca d’Oro Building is a commercial building in the Scottish city of Glasgow. The building was made a Category B listed building in 1970 and was then upgraded to Category A in 1988 after being restored from a fire.[1]

History

The building was constructed in 1872 as Möbelwarenhaus F and J Smith’s Furniture Warehouse at a cost of £11,000. The Scottish architect John Honeyman was responsible for the design. Between 1926 and 1929, the building was expanded and partially revised according to a design by Gillespie Kidd & Coia. A fire devastated the building in 1987. When it was rebuilt, the interior was replaced by an atrium surrounded by shops. The restoration has been recognized by the Scottish Civic Trust.[2]

Description

Inspired by the Ca’ d’Oro in Venice, the Ca d’Oro Building is designed in the style of  Venetian Renaissance architecture. Set on the corner between Union Street and Gordon Street in the centre of Glasgow, the building is just north of the Egyptian Halls, with Glasgow Central train station opposite across Union Street.

The facade along Gordon Street is five arches wide. The cascade along Union Street was originally only four arches wide but in the course of restoring the building after the 1987 fire the building was expanded, adding two arches. The shop front on the ground floor of the four-story building is modern. The pillars of the round-arch arcade are banded; the archivolts, like the gusset plates, are ornamented. A stylized triglyph frieze runs over the fighters. A frieze with a tooth cut runs over it. The two upper floors feature cast iron arcades. Pilasters structure the facade vertically. Round windows are embedded above. The final cornice is decorated with a cross diamond frieze.[1]

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m sure there was a Tesco Express in it when I walked past the other week.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m sure there was a Tesco Express in it when I walked past the other week.

You may well be correct, it was definitely a Co-op up until a few months back as it was my go to carry out shop before the train home. Last time I walked by the shop had been ripped out and it looked like some work was being done to it, so if it’s now a Tesco Express that would make sense. It’s quite a striking building that I imagine many people walk straight past, the same way I done for years, and it probably deserves better than being home to a Tesco Express. 

9 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Mitchell Way, Alexandria G83

0_CGP_LEN_070721FLOWER_POTS_05JPG.jpg.e98b2afa3228d8f85430fefefc889b57.jpg

A practical building for the West of Scotland and an early forerunner to all enclosed spaces like indoor malls. Beautiful! Could maybe do with a lick of paint.

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

You may well be correct, it was definitely a Co-op up until a few months back as it was my go to carry out shop before the train home. Last time I walked by the shop had been ripped out and it looked like some work was being done to it, so if it’s now a Tesco Express that would make sense. It’s quite a striking building that I imagine many people walk straight past, the same way I done for years, and it probably deserves better than being home to a Tesco Express. 

Yeah it's now a Tesco. 

As someone who'd done plenty of work around the surrounding area and in an around Buchanan Street, until I was asked to go and do work on the Ca Do'ro I didn't know it was there at all because as stupid as it sounds, it kind of blends in. A really terrific building though and certainly in a city centre full of tenements and high rise blocks, it's a hidden gem. The less said about the condition of the non-public areas the better though!